Eighth Amendment poll

Started by Farrandeelin, May 01, 2018, 03:36:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are you in favour of repealing the 8th amendment?

Yes
47 (21.8%)
Yes but have no vote
73 (33.8%)
No
40 (18.5%)
No but have no vote
36 (16.7%)
Undecided
20 (9.3%)

Total Members Voted: 216

Voting closed: May 24, 2018, 03:36:55 PM

Rossfan

It would nearly be worth losing it to get 2 months free from his drivel.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Syferus

Quote from: seafoid on May 27, 2018, 09:06:24 PM
Quote from: Syferus on May 27, 2018, 08:32:32 PM
Quote from: seafoid on May 27, 2018, 05:18:29 PM
According to RTE most people made their mind up after Savita H died.
No didn't lose on Friday. The war was lost 5 years ago.

Their poll literally said the opposite of what you just wrote. They had their minds made up before the Savita case even happened. Lay off whatever is it that you're on.

Give it up, Syf. The board is littered with your nonsense. It''s wall to wall ràiméis. If Galway beat Ros in the CF you'll disappear again for 2 months.

I really don't know who you think you're fooling.

Avondhu star

Quote from: Syferus on May 27, 2018, 09:56:01 PM
Quote from: seafoid on May 27, 2018, 09:06:24 PM
Quote from: Syferus on May 27, 2018, 08:32:32 PM
Quote from: seafoid on May 27, 2018, 05:18:29 PM
According to RTE most people made their mind up after Savita H died.
No didn't lose on Friday. The war was lost 5 years ago.

Their poll literally said the opposite of what you just wrote. They had their minds made up before the Savita case even happened. Lay off whatever is it that you're on.

Give it up, Syf. The board is littered with your nonsense. It''s wall to wall ràiméis. If Galway beat Ros in the CF you'll disappear again for 2 months.

I really don't know who you think you're fooling.
Haven't you some sheep need dipping?
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

fearbrags

"It would nearly be worth losing it to get 2 months free from his drivel."" I 2nd that ;)

johnnycool

The last two referenda in the South shines a light on how the Catholic Church and its doctrine has lost its stranglehold on Ireland, probably more than I'd imagined.

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: johnnycool on May 28, 2018, 08:24:35 AM
The last two referenda in the South shines a light on how the Catholic Church and its doctrine has lost its stranglehold on Ireland, probably more than I'd imagined.

+1

Is it possible that some part of the voting is actually driven by some voters wanting to put the Church in its place as much being supportive of the Yes vote?

Owen Brannigan

The real test will be FG's ability to bring in legislation to allow abortion to be carried out and how limited the legislation will be.

TDs will be looking over their shoulders at the electorate before voting on legislation given the proximity of an election.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on May 28, 2018, 08:40:24 AM
The real test will be FG's ability to bring in legislation to allow abortion to be carried out and how limited the legislation will be.

TDs will be looking over their shoulders at the electorate before voting on legislation given the proximity of an election.

The proposed legislation is there and can be read by anyone. The politicians will press ahead with that, given the massive mandate they have received.

sid waddell

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on May 28, 2018, 08:31:45 AM

+1

Is it possible that some part of the voting is actually driven by some voters wanting to put the Church in its place as much being supportive of the Yes vote?

It's both, because the Eighth Amendment and the agenda to stop same sex marriage were both inextricably tied to the Roman Catholic church.

Pretty much every rule which infringed people's rights in this country has been inextricably tied to the Roman Catholic Church.

Pretty much every negative social convention which unjustly stigmatised people in this country was inextricably tied to the Roman Catholic Church.

The Roman Catholic Church's influence on Ireland has been overwhelmingly negative.

My primary motivation for voting Yes was that women's basic human rights were disgracefully infringed by the Eighth Amendment and that had to change.

Giving a firm two fingers to the Roman Catholic Church, who have proved themselves to be an enemy of the people, was a very welcome by-product of that vote.

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 28, 2018, 08:42:16 AM

The proposed legislation is there and can be read by anyone. The politicians will press ahead with that, given the massive mandate they have received.

Except most FF supporters voted No and this puts pressure on their TDs who were mostly No.

The practicalities of legislation are the reality of the situation as all medical organisations now will have a say and medics begin to assess their roles on the frontline of provision.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on May 28, 2018, 09:18:22 AM

Except most FF supporters voted No and this puts pressure on their TDs who were mostly No.

The practicalities of legislation are the reality of the situation as all medical organisations now will have a say and medics begin to assess their roles on the frontline of provision.

Where did you see most FF supporters voted no Owen? Given the 66/33 result, I'd be amazed if any party had a majority voting No? I think a No vote was basewd on philosophical grounds rather than party politics.

seafoid

The cultural identity formed after 1922 is no longer valid. Diarmuid Ferriter the historian was on Radio 1 talking about it a while ago. It was catholic, absolute and based on opposition to Englishness. Irish identity is more nuanced that that in reality. Loads of things have changed. Even QE2 speaking Irish in Dublin.

Bit more tricky in NI where education is catholic and identity is formed in opposition to the alien identity of the state.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

magpie seanie

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 28, 2018, 09:22:50 AM

Where did you see most FF supporters voted no Owen? Given the 66/33 result, I'd be amazed if any party had a majority voting No? I think a No vote was basewd on philosophical grounds rather than party politics.

I think the RTE exit poll did state that the majority of voters who said they'd vote FF in a GE voted No. However, several FF TD's that campaigned for a No vote have stated over the weekend that they'll support the legislation and the will of the people. To be fair - who would these FF "No" TD's be looking over their shoulder at? Renua? I know the anti-choice side have said they'll keep this as an issue at every election but hard to see how they will.

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 28, 2018, 09:22:50 AM

From Jounal.ie

A breakdown of the RTÉ exit poll found that young people voted overwhelmingly in favour of repealing the abortion ban.
Here's a breakdown of who voted:
72.1% of women voted Yes
65.9% of men voted Yes
87.6% of 18-24 year olds voted Yes
84.6% of 25-34 year olds voted Yes
72.8% of 35-49 year olds voted Yes
63.7% of 50-64 year olds voted Yes
58.7% of those aged over 65 voted No

A breakdown of the supporters of political parties and how they voted is as follows:
Fine Gael 74.9% Yes
Fianna Fáil 50.3% No
Sinn Féín 74.5% Yes
Labour 80% Yes
Green Party 88% Yes
Independents 72% Yes

AZOffaly

Fair enough, I stand corrected. Surprised at that to be honest. Although I suppose FF's vote has collapsed in Dublin, so it's probably a more rural vote, which was closer in most cases anyway I think.