Cork V Mayo - What odds on a draw?

Started by Mayo4Sam, March 28, 2010, 04:05:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mayo4Sam

Can't see either team busting themselves, a draw will see them both through to the final & I think Cork will prefer us to the Dubs in the final.
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Jinxy

So if Mayo lose and Dublin win is it the Dubs and Cork in the final?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Cosmo Kramer

Dublin would take us on the head to head, so yes.

I think Tyrone will beat Dublin and next weeks game in Cork will just be shadow boxing.
A few Mayo GAA videos if anyone is interested - www.youtube.com/CosmoKramer100

Jinxy

If the Dubs leave someone in the Tyrone half to give Bernard Brogan a hand they have a good chance.

mortified

is the final fixed for croke park or neutral venue
quit your jibba jabba fool!!

Cosmo Kramer

Don't know, but if the Dubs are not involved, you'd be as well playing it in Limerick or Ennis.

Would like to travel back for a league final if we get there, but if the details are announced quite late it becomes difficult for those overseas to arrange flights etc.
A few Mayo GAA videos if anyone is interested - www.youtube.com/CosmoKramer100

Farrandeelin

Quote from: mortified on March 28, 2010, 06:15:57 PM

I assumed the Division 1 and 2 finals would be played in Croke Park on the same day.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Geoff Tipps

Quote from: Farrandeelin on March 28, 2010, 07:10:36 PM
Quote from: mortified on March 28, 2010, 06:15:57 PM

I assumed the Division 1 and 2 finals would be played in Croke Park on the same day.

Yeah I think that's correct.

western exile

It is unusual for a league campaign to complete without at least one game ending in a draw. There has been no draws yet in Division 1 this year, so there is a good chance there will be one in the final round.  It might as well be this one  8)

muppet

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on March 28, 2010, 04:05:58 PM
Can't see either team busting themselves, a draw will see them both through to the final & I think Cork will prefer us to the Dubs in the final.

Cork are already there. Which do you reckon the Gaa would prefer playing them?

What are the odds on a Dublin/Cork double next week?
MWWSI 2017

highorlow

QuoteIt is unusual for a league campaign to complete without at least one game ending in a draw.

The new rule at the end has more to do with that IMO.

The old 'about 3 mins' or 'about 4 mins' left is gone so the ref can't blow up at the end when it's level or play on for the draw if there is only a point in it.

I'd imagine if Mayo and Cork are level with 5 mins to go it will turn into a farce with both teams playing for the draw. This won't suit Mayo as we could do with a break now anyhow. League finals are a waste of time and effort and we need to preserve our lads now for the Championship and not have any more injuries like Keith Higgins got today.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Farrandeelin

Ah now, highorlow in all fairness it would be nice to win the league final all the same.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Jinxy

Quote from: highorlow on March 28, 2010, 08:39:44 PM
QuoteIt is unusual for a league campaign to complete without at least one game ending in a draw.

The new rule at the end has more to do with that IMO.

The old 'about 3 mins' or 'about 4 mins' left is gone so the ref can't blow up at the end when it's level or play on for the draw if there is only a point in it.

I'd imagine if Mayo and Cork are level with 5 mins to go it will turn into a farce with both teams playing for the draw. This won't suit Mayo as we could do with a break now anyhow. League finals are a waste of time and effort and we need to preserve our lads now for the Championship and not have any more injuries like Keith Higgins got today.

Won't happen.
It wouldn't do Mayo any harm to play a big game in Croke Park.
It would do them even less harm to win a big game in Croke Park.

highorlow

QuoteIt wouldn't do Mayo any harm to play a big game in Croke Park.

I think we won a league under Pat Holmes back in the nougities, League followers will remember better. I wouldn't call a league final in a 3/4 empty Croke Park a 'big game'.

Fair enough though for some youth followers a piece of silverware can inspire a new Aidan O'Shea which never does any harm.

He is the finest footballer we have since John Morley RIP - hope he stays clear of injury for the championship. If he was in Kerry he would be minded.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Tubberman

Quote from: highorlow on March 29, 2010, 08:55:31 AM
QuoteIt wouldn't do Mayo any harm to play a big game in Croke Park.

I think we won a league under Pat Holmes back in the nougities, League followers will remember better. I wouldn't call a league final in a 3/4 empty Croke Park a 'big game'.

Fair enough though for some youth followers a piece of silverware can inspire a new Aidan O'Shea which never does any harm.

He is the finest footballer we have since John Morley RIP - hope he stays clear of injury for the championship. If he was in Kerry he would be minded.

Yeah, we beat Galway in the 2001 league final. Then had a disastrous Championship when Gerry Lohan got that infamous injury time goal for the Rossies, then we lost to Westmeath in what was the first year of the qualifiers.
So a league win is no guarantee of a long summer!
Not sure what you mean with the 'If he was in Kerry he would be minded' comment. O'Shea is a big lad and well able to look after himself. The U21s are finished for the year so he's not facing any more football than the other players.
Kerry aren't shy about throwing young lads into the fray either.
Aidan just needs to play his way out of this patch of bad form - hopefully yesterday's goal will have given him the confidence he's been lacking. For some reason, he hasn't been able to hold onto a ball at all this year... 
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."