Gaelic Tag

Started by Mayo4Sam, June 25, 2009, 11:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mayo4Sam

Hi guys,
I'm in the process of setting up a Gaelic Tag league in the Iveagh Grounds in Crumlin. Its due to begin when the Tag Rugby finishes, end of July.

The idea is the same as tag rugby, mixed team, tags instead of tackling, no contact, we've taken out kick passing for lads, and goals and points are worth more for girls, 5 points for a goal, which can only be scored by girls, 2 points for a girls point and one for a lads point. 7 Players on a team, 4 lads & 3 girls, in pitches played on the width of the pitch.

We're hoping to make a big deal of the social side of it as well, table quiz, bands, BBQ, speed dating etc.
We're launching it next week, fingers corssed the website is up and running, and we'll be having 1 or 2 open nights so people can see whats involved and try it out before signing up.

I'll post again with details of the website and of the open night.

All comments/suggestions welcome.

M4S
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Stalin

A single death is a tragedy; a million deaths is a statistic

ziggysego

Shit, misread the post.
Testing Accessibility

Mayo4Sam

Donagh

No kick passing or tackling? Sounds shite.

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: hardstation on June 26, 2009, 12:26:45 AM
I give it 10 minutes until the cynical football comes in. Hoors pulling tags off the ball etc.
no it'll take me a while to export it to the north

Gnevin

No sure how this is meant to work. Surely you just have to make sure people stick to their marker and just tags them as soon as they get the ball.  You can't create over laps and gaps like in rugby.
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Tankie

I cant see how this will work, i might swing in and take a look if i get a chance. could be a great idea though.
Grand Slam Saturday!

lynchbhoy

sounds like Kildare club championship football !

screenexile

Would you not be better speaking to someone about "Recreational GAA". I can't really see how tag Gaelic works but I've played Recreational GAA before indoors and it has worked very well if refereed properly. It's all in the tackle as in your only allowed one attempt to dislodge the ball when someone is trying to play it i.e. solo, bounce, kickpass or handpass. Any other contact is considered a free. 7 A side with full scoring is probably the best way to work it.

The Ulster Council are big into it and I think Paul Callaghan deals with it in there or you could try the Dublin County Board or Leinster Council who could also give you some help with it.

Good luck anyway it's something I think the GAA don't exploit in the same way rugby do is this idea of it being social and having a bit of craic on a nice evenin with a game and then a few beers and stuff afterwards. I think a few more leagues like this set up round the place would help raise the profile.

Dinny Breen

Quotesounds like Kildare club championship football !

:D

remembering your Junior A days are we

Seemingly the GAA are suffering somewhat (according to ERSI) since street leagues are none existent anymore and people are turning to other sports tag rugby and 5 a side soccer for a social outlet.
#newbridgeornowhere

Mayo4Sam

u can make sure that people stick to their marker but its up to them to get free. Its a v quick game, lots of 1-2s. Cant have tackling as its mixed & no contact. Having tried it its excellent, way faster than tag rugby

Gnevin

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on June 27, 2009, 12:59:57 AM
u can make sure that people stick to their marker but its up to them to get free. Its a v quick game, lots of 1-2s. Cant have tackling as its mixed & no contact. Having tried it its excellent, way faster than tag rugby
Can you video some of it?
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Dinny Breen on June 26, 2009, 02:44:32 PM
Quotesounds like Kildare club championship football !

:D

remembering your Junior A days are we

Seemingly the GAA are suffering somewhat (according to ERSI) since street leagues are none existent anymore and people are turning to other sports tag rugby and 5 a side soccer for a social outlet.
played against the top sides in cil dara and the football was as soft as cotton wool !
intermed c'ship and senior c'ship as well as league div 2 !

so there !
:P

(obv not including the in bred areas like rathangan, monesterevin etc etc)

would have to see the 'Tag football' in action first before I'd make a judgement as I cannot see how this would work to be honest !

Mayo4Sam

We'll get a (ametuer) video together asap

If anyone wants us to email them with all the details just send an email to mail.administrator@gaelictag.ie