Galway

Started by Dougal Maguire, February 07, 2012, 07:46:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dougal Maguire

Quote from: BennyCake on February 15, 2012, 06:51:39 PM
Quote from: Dougal Maguire on February 15, 2012, 06:44:14 PM
Just back. Class place  Will definitely go back.

Was in it myself on our way back from Kerry at the weekend. Great place.

So what did you get up to in Galway, Dougal?

Stayed in Park House Hotel just off Eyre Square. Got to visit about 10 pubs including Taffe's, Murphy's, Tigh Neachtains, Tig Coili, Dail, Merry Fiddler, King's Head, Garavan's, Bunch of Grapes, O'Toole's, saw most of the city centre and cathedral, went out to Connemara and visited Clifden . Brilliant spot, just wish I was heading off again in the morning
Careful now

Leo

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on February 18, 2012, 08:18:56 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on February 15, 2012, 06:51:39 PM
Quote from: Dougal Maguire on February 15, 2012, 06:44:14 PM
Just back. Class place  Will definitely go back.

Was in it myself on our way back from Kerry at the weekend. Great place.

So what did you get up to in Galway, Dougal?

Stayed in Park House Hotel just off Eyre Square. Got to visit about 10 pubs including Taffe's, Murphy's, Tigh Neachtains, Tig Coili, Dail, Merry Fiddler, King's Head, Garavan's, Bunch of Grapes, O'Toole's, saw most of the city centre and cathedral, went out to Connemara and visited Clifden . Brilliant spot, just wish I was heading off again in the morning
Now ther'es a tour to put the rough guide into the ha'peny place!Pity you missed the best place of all on the other side of town - Moran's on the weir. Pure gold.
Fierce tame altogether

Dinny Breen

Can of the Boards Western Brethren recommend a good pub to watch the rugby and a good pub to watch the soccer tomorrow in Galway City, doesn't have to be the same pub. Cheers
#newbridgeornowhere

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: seafoid on February 08, 2012, 04:26:27 PM
The Gaeltacht is what makes Galway different. 
You walk down Shop Street and you are guaranteed to hear the blas.
Schtop!

AZOffaly

Quote from: Dinny Breen on May 18, 2012, 01:03:16 PM
Can of the Boards Western Brethren recommend a good pub to watch the rugby and a good pub to watch the soccer tomorrow in Galway City, doesn't have to be the same pub. Cheers

I went into Fox's bar there in January to watch a Munster game in the HEC. There were a good few tellies, and they showed Munster, Connacht and Manchester United all at the same time in different TVs. It's right off Eyre Square, beside the Train Station.

But are those games not one after each other, so any of the good pubs will be showing them both no?

Dinny Breen

I'm just looking for rugby Pub, I've been in Elwoods before but wondering is there any others, not a fan of watching sport in Pubs so want to avoid the bandwagon know-it-all fans, the soccer doesn't matter too much as I'll be one of those know-it-all fans firmly on the Bayern München bandwagon
#newbridgeornowhere

GalwayBayBoy

magpie seanie

I'd just like to add that I love Galway City, class spot.

AZOffaly

Seemed to be a big crowd of Rugby heads in the Púcan that day too GBB? (I had to go to Foxes because Munster and Connacht were on at the same time.

Croí na hÉireann

Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

cicfada

I was just there last weekennd with herself!! Great time, I would agree with  posters about O'Connells and the Porterhouse Pub on the corner by the train station is another fine place, recently done up too!!  The Skeff and Quays bars are huge and have tvs everywhere! I drove  out to Conamara myself to show herself where my father's family come from and the weather was beautiful so the scenery was spectacular! Forster Court Hotel is nice as well!!

Emmett

Heading down to Galway city in a few weeks for 2 nights with the better half and I'm hoping for a bit of advice - especially given the current climate....

* What pubs would be a good option? We are both double jabbed. Ideally just walk in but if they need to be booked in advance so be it.

* Any recommendations on Restaurants? Middle of the road prices but decent grub obviously....

* Any fun activities or things to see?

* Do we need to show proof of vaccinations? I've been purposely avoid the news for the sake of my head so don't judge the lack of knowledge on this lol

Hound

Quote from: Emmett on November 12, 2021, 10:38:04 PM
Heading down to Galway city in a few weeks for 2 nights with the better half and I'm hoping for a bit of advice - especially given the current climate....

* What pubs would be a good option? We are both double jabbed. Ideally just walk in but if they need to be booked in advance so be it.

* Any recommendations on Restaurants? Middle of the road prices but decent grub obviously....

* Any fun activities or things to see?

* Do we need to show proof of vaccinations? I've been purposely avoid the news for the sake of my head so don't judge the lack of knowledge on this lol
All pubs should be walk-in, but you'll need to show proof of vaccine at all pubs and restaurants

Cunny Funt

First time I had night out in Galway for about 5 years. Still a great atmosphere in bars such as the Quays,Taaffes,Busker Brownes.  One sad sight was the huge amount of homeless people sleeping out in the freezing cold in pretty much every shop doorway along shop street.