Car Problems!!

Started by downgirl, January 04, 2009, 08:34:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

downgirl

Quote from: mylestheslasher on January 25, 2009, 09:36:45 PM
For scratching the panel beater will have to remove the panel, remove the paint (shot blast) and the paint again. Painting is expensive. I'd say you'd get away with €300 maybe as it doesn't sound too bad. If any hoor tries to charge more walk away.

Before you go that road try ringing traynors car breakers in Dungannon. The Corolla is a popular car and they'll have lots of them. You might be lucky and they might have the panel you want in the colour you want. Would be a cheaper job then all you'll need is someone a bit handy to remove the old panel and put on the new one. Traynors do delieveries through out Ireland too so you might not even need to go to far. There are lots of other breakers too have a look in yellow pages to find some near where you are based.

Was just speaking to my friend and he said you can't remove that panel cus it's not a door?  :-\ :-\

Main Street

Gaffer,
It´s no problems to start it up as long as you check for the fuel leaks.
and just check that the exhaust smoke is okay under load.
Then you can drive it.

Could be a host of things but the significant symptom is, sudden loss of power.
The turbo could have packed it in  - relatively expensive  or it just could be the turbo boost sensor - not expensive , do your hear the turbo´s healthy whine at revs greater than 2k rpm?

Do the rps go up but no increase in speed? It could be the fuel pump which pumps the fuel into the engine bay, called the lift pump - not that expensive  It could be the injection pump (hopefully not)  that´s the most expensive mechanical external to the engine.
It could be just one of the fuel injectors getting stuck.  - not expensive
So there is no need yet to think the internals have packed it in and you will be faced with a hefty bill or a write off.
I am not familiar with the Honda diesel.
Get it to a decent workshop where a mechanic will hook your engine up to something more sensible than him.
Then the various checks will narrow it down to the likely suspects.
Before you go  to a mechanic write down a list of the symptoms and if appropriate, when the symptoms are noticed, when they are worse,  smoke.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: downgirl on January 25, 2009, 10:06:26 PM
Quote from: mylestheslasher on January 25, 2009, 09:36:45 PM
For scratching the panel beater will have to remove the panel, remove the paint (shot blast) and the paint again. Painting is expensive. I'd say you'd get away with €300 maybe as it doesn't sound too bad. If any hoor tries to charge more walk away.

Before you go that road try ringing traynors car breakers in Dungannon. The Corolla is a popular car and they'll have lots of them. You might be lucky and they might have the panel you want in the colour you want. Would be a cheaper job then all you'll need is someone a bit handy to remove the old panel and put on the new one. Traynors do delieveries through out Ireland too so you might not even need to go to far. There are lots of other breakers too have a look in yellow pages to find some near where you are based.

Was just speaking to my friend and he said you can't remove that panel cus it's not a door?  :-\ :-\
Get new friends! How does your mate think cars get repaired following a hefty crash - just fix the doors and leave the rest! I had the whole back end of my car replaced after a crash a few years ago. Panels and all!

downgirl

Hmm ok I won't listen to him then!! 

mylestheslasher

Downgirl - every panel I have come across can be removed although some easier than others.

Gaffer

Quote from: Main Street on January 25, 2009, 10:12:52 PM
Gaffer,
It´s no problems to start it up as long as you check for the fuel leaks.
and just check that the exhaust smoke is okay under load.
Then you can drive it.

Could be a host of things but the significant symptom is, sudden loss of power.
The turbo could have packed it in  - relatively expensive  or it just could be the turbo boost sensor - not expensive , do your hear the turbo´s healthy whine at revs greater than 2k rpm?

Do the rps go up but no increase in speed? It could be the fuel pump which pumps the fuel into the engine bay, called the lift pump - not that expensive  It could be the injection pump (hopefully not)  that´s the most expensive mechanical external to the engine.
It could be just one of the fuel injectors getting stuck.  - not expensive
So there is no need yet to think the internals have packed it in and you will be faced with a hefty bill or a write off.
I am not familiar with the Honda diesel.
Get it to a decent workshop where a mechanic will hook your engine up to something more sensible than him.
Then the various checks will narrow it down to the likely suspects.
Before you go  to a mechanic write down a list of the symptoms and if appropriate, when the symptoms are noticed, when they are worse,  smoke.

Main Street, thanks for the time and effort !!!!
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

downgirl

Quote from: mylestheslasher on January 25, 2009, 11:05:33 PM
Downgirl - every panel I have come across can be removed although some easier than others.

Cool thanks, got someone to take a look and they don't think it need a new panel.  Ah well these things happen whatever needs done to fix it needs done at the end of the day I suppose!

Main Street

BTW,  Downgirl
If you have to tell your parents some bad news,
The trick that works often enough, depending,
Is that you first say
"Something really bad happened"
Then wait a few seconds
In the few seconds of silence, your mother's/father's paranoia will be rampant, they will be  braced for the worst, looking at the worst possible scenario that comes after the fact that you are able to make a telephone call.

Then you say "I scratched the car, it´s going to cost me  £ ??"

If they are "normal", then their reaction should be one of relief,
"Oh is that all, you had me worried there for a second".

downgirl

My parents didn't mind at all they said a car is only a car so long as noone was hurt that's the main thing.  And my dad was like don't worry these things happen its easily done.  When I sent them the photos of it they were like what are you so worked up about it can be fixed.  My parents are great like that I have to say!  :D

fitzroyalty

Anyone recommend a good body repair shop in LA? (lurgan area)

Donagh

Quote from: fitzroyalty on May 15, 2009, 01:29:16 PM
Anyone recommend a good body repair shop in LA? (lurgan area)

Lynn used to be very good, down at the bottom of Church Walk. Not sure if he's still there. Expensive though - okay for insurance jobs.

fitzroyalty

Thanks i'll check it out..

Donagh

Some bastard keyed my car (05 Passat, metallic silver) the other night in Belfast. The scrape itself is about 8 inches of which half of that is down to the metal. Anything I can do myself to fix it or at least do a good patch up?

supersarsfields

Used to use Lurgan Accident repair centre for work. Again have had no problems quality wise but might tend to be on the expensive side aswell.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Donagh on May 15, 2009, 01:50:43 PM
Some b**tard keyed my car (05 Passat, metallic silver) the other night in Belfast. The scrape itself is about 8 inches of which half of that is down to the metal. Anything I can do myself to fix it or at least do a good patch up?

In short No, bring it to a panel beater and get it resprayed. £100 should do it.