West Tyrone By Election - Thurs 3rd May 2018

Started by AQMP, April 27, 2018, 09:49:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dougal Maguire

Quote from: Avondhu star on April 28, 2018, 09:41:45 AM
Quote from: Dougal Maguire on April 28, 2018, 08:59:01 AM
McCrossan is a smug git. I understand Begley is a solicitor, so she's well educated. Only saw a bit of the debate, given it was Begley's first time she seemed to do okay all things considered. Buchanan was out of his depth

" so she's well educated"
It's very important to be able to distinguish between education and intelligence. They are not the same.
I understand the difference. She is intelligent too but she lacks experience. It takes a while to develope the level of cuteness required to be an effective operation in political circles.
Careful now

Avondhu star

Quote from: Carmen Stateside on April 28, 2018, 09:52:44 AM
Quote from: Avondhu star on April 28, 2018, 09:41:45 AM
McCrossan is a smug git. I understand Begley is a solicitor, so she's well educated. Only saw a bit of the debate, given it was Begley's first time she seemed to do okay all things considered. Buchanan was out of his depth

" so she's well educated"
It's very important to be able to distinguish between education and intelligence. They are not the same.

Its very obvious you have neither.
Did your nurse help you type that?
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

gallsman

f**king hell. Cops at a polling station In Greencastle after someone brandished a gun.

AQMP

Quote from: gallsman on May 03, 2018, 04:42:12 PM
f**king hell. Cops at a polling station In Greencastle after someone brandished a gun.

Was somebody caught voting Alliance? ;)

Avondhu star

Does anyone even give a shite how the knuckle draggers in Tyrone vote?
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

Carmen Stateside

Obviously you do when you're in this thread writing crap!

DuffleKing

That girl is a terrible communicator - whatever her level of education. It's a reflection on the standing of politicians nowadays when you see the calibre of candidates here across the parties - able people just aren't going to get into that arena.

I'm assuming the Begley girl is a shoe in for Barry's seat?

WT4E

Quote from: AQMP on May 03, 2018, 04:54:33 PM

Was somebody caught voting Alliance? ;)

Id say something to do with dalradian - whole things gone nuts about that in recent times!

David McKeown

I've known Ms Begley for a number of years and she's very capable. Both intelligent and well educated. Whilst I didn't see her in the media during the campaign I'd be confident that if she came across as a poor communicator it would have been out of character for her. Hopefully she will do a good job in her new role.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

omaghjoe

Quote from: David McKeown on May 04, 2018, 03:09:51 AM
I've known Ms Begley for a number of years and she's very capable. Both intelligent and well educated. Whilst I didn't see her in the media during the campaign I'd be confident that if she came across as a poor communicator it would have been out of character for her. Hopefully she will do a good job in her new role.

Im sure she capable but I doubt she will do much without taking her seat. Still, she could get the A5 upgrade done on her watch which could look good for her.

Aaron Boone

Quote from: omaghjoe on May 04, 2018, 05:15:45 AM

Im sure she capable but I doubt she will do much without taking her seat. Still, she could get the A5 upgrade done on her watch which could look good for her.

It'd be good for a Sinn Fein MP to randomly appear in Westminster for a key Brexit vote. Tip the maths away from Tory/DUP. Is the oath still such a red line?

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: omaghjoe on May 04, 2018, 05:15:45 AM

Certainly would except that as an MP she has no input into an Executive project and her SF colleagues moved the project out of West Tyrone to Foyle before the last Assembly elections. The Ballygawley to Omagh and Omagh to Strabane sections are now as far away as ever.

gallsman

Don't know her at all David so I'll take your word for it about her being smart but, while I was a bit sleepy, I think I heard her use the word "implementated" on the radio a few minutes ago. Presume it was her victory speech.

AQMP

Result:

Orfhlaith Begley (SF)         16,346 - 46.7%
Thomas Buchanan (DUP)    8,390 - 23.9%
Daniel McCrossan (SDLP)    6,254 - 17.9%
Chris Smyth (UUP)             2,909 - 8.3%
Stephen Donnelly (All)        1,130 - 3.2%

Turnout:  55%
SF Majority 7,956

Comfortable hold for SF. Turnout was down more than 13% on last year so vote share is a better indicator than number of votes cast.  Good performance from SDLP and decent show by the UUP.  McCrossan's share of the vote up nearly 5% and UUP up 3.2%.  SF down 4% and DUP down 3%.  Seems that more SF and DUP voters stayed at home but there's still a wee swing from SF to SDLP.  Local sources tell me that SF's stance on the 8th Amendment Referendum was an issue for some people.

Other than that there was the gun slinging in Greencastle.  I note this incident is now being played down significantly.  UUP candidate Chris Smyth tweeted yesterday that a man came in pointing a gun saying he was "looking for unionists".  This immediately didn't ring true as he was in Greencastle where unionists are, as they say, like hen's teeth!  Arlene Foster called it an attack on democracy.  It now seems that as the man produced his polling card to vote a member of staff saw what she thought was a gun.  The man voted, left the polling station, staff contacted the PSNI and since he has just given in his polling card they had his name and address, so the PSNI went and arrested him and are investigating.  DUP Belfast City Councillor Dale Pankhurst had called for the election to be suspended and for SF to be excluded from a re-arranged by-election!

I'd say SF will be happy with a solid performance by virtual unknown Begley.

AZOffaly

I think somebody said Quantum Leap was a shite show.