Ulster Council: Credit where it is due

Started by NaomhBridAbĂș, February 23, 2015, 03:19:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NaomhBridAbĂș

They might not be able to build a stadium on the ashes of Casement but by f**k can they run a coaching conference.
Great day in Cookstown on Saturday...Donie Buckley and John Morrison would be the standout coaching sessions, with John Morrison having the edge..
300 delegates attended (i think there was another event run by Antrim on the same day....)
in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. but he still only has one eye

NP 76

Was at the course on sat and really enjoyed it   I thought Sharon maid gab was excellent on nutrition and Early spoke really well. I thought Buckley found it hard to talk with the mic but I reckon he would open up more on a less formal forum like over a few pints. What did surprise me was Mc entee and the way they develope players for senior football all players doing the same warm up so as to make the translation easier from minor to senior. Also how it is the 1st year that cross have a strength and conditioning coach on board. Great day only thing was it was a pity there was no smaller packs the coats are massive

lenny

Quote from: NP 76 on February 23, 2015, 03:30:49 PM
Was at the course on sat and really enjoyed it   I thought Sharon maid gab was excellent on nutrition and Early spoke really well. I thought Buckley found it hard to talk with the mic but I reckon he would open up more on a less formal forum like over a few pints. What did surprise me was Mc entee and the way they develope players for senior football all players doing the same warm up so as to make the translation easier from minor to senior. Also how it is the 1st year that cross have a strength and conditioning coach on board. Great day only thing was it was a pity there was no smaller packs the coats are massive

I've 2 of those coats sitting at home never worn. XL when I'm a M. You need to be at the front of the queue at the end when they're giving out the packs.

BenDover

Found that hard to believe myself, tho he did say a structured S&C Programme. Have either of you checked you USB Pen? I've a folder Games for Kids with nothing in it, is yours the same?

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: BenDover on February 23, 2015, 04:06:46 PM

Found that hard to believe myself, tho he did say a structured S&C Programme. Have either of you checked you USB Pen? I've a folder Games for Kids with nothing in it, is yours the same?

It is true,  individuals may have done their own programs but this is the first year there has been a program put in place across the club.

NP 76

Never got a chance to check the pen my lap top is messing about what all is on it

Student Dissertation

Only seen this was on last minute and unfortunately couldn't get as was otherwise engaged. Do you know if it's possible to get presentations/slides/booklets on the information presented? I'd happily pay for it.

BenDover

there's a fair bit of stuff on it: the presentations from Saturday, animated drills, i noticed a lot of folders targeted for u15-u18 on gameplay (didn't look to much into these, I'm over our U6s so was looking for the presentation Ben and Aidan done).

johnneycool

Quote from: Student Dissertation on February 23, 2015, 06:27:40 PM
Only seen this was on last minute and unfortunately couldn't get as was otherwise engaged. Do you know if it's possible to get presentations/slides/booklets on the information presented? I'd happily pay for it.

Ulster GAA have a youtube website, try it, although it may take them a while to get them up..

FermGael

Excellent coaching conference.
The smaller, less formal workshops were excellent.
Sharon Madigan was brillant and Buckley was excellent.
Some great insight received.
Always sit at the back right for the final talk in the hall.
Quick get away
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

BenDover

There's close to 1gb of stuff on the pen so best bet would be to contact them see if you can get one or if you know anyone who attended ask them to copy it for you.

pauly2

Quote from: lenny on February 23, 2015, 03:58:45 PM

I've 2 of those coats sitting at home never worn. XL when I'm a M. You need to be at the front of the queue at the end when they're giving out the packs.

This is in fact not true.  Cross had Mike Mc Gurn a few years ago as their s&c coach who tailored programmes to suit the individual.  When down announced their new s&c coach pre christmas - Ciaran Sloan - Aaron Kernan was the first man out to speak about him saying he had worked with Cross the previous year and was highly rated. 
This is typical of cross that what they say everyone believes - they have other structures in place for a good few years now - think it was someone from down who set it up for them but you wouldnt hear of that information. 

johnneycool

Quote from: pauly2 on February 24, 2015, 11:32:30 AM
Quote from: lenny on February 23, 2015, 03:58:45 PM

This is in fact not true.  Cross had Mike Mc Gurn a few years ago as their s&c coach who tailored programmes to suit the individual.  When down announced their new s&c coach pre christmas - Ciaran Sloan - Aaron Kernan was the first man out to speak about him saying he had worked with Cross the previous year and was highly rated. 
This is typical of cross that what they say everyone believes - they have other structures in place for a good few years now - think it was someone from down who set it up for them but you wouldnt hear of that information.

What was big John McCloskey's role with Cross? Trainer?

alba2

A great course and was particularly impressed with Marty Loughran presentation and indeed Donie Buckley.  More of the same needed please.  When season ends for most of us in Sept Oct there should be a conference then and another in Feb - but maybe thats too difficult to organise or get speakers etc.  Just think its great day and way to gather serious coaching tips for the season ahead.

brokencrossbar1

This is the first year that there is a consistent s & c coach working on a structured program and actually working with the players. There have been coaches who have come in but not on an ongoing basis. Mc closkey was a fitness coach who worked solely on running. No one is saying that the players don't so programs but it has only been on an ad hoc basis with no specific indepth program drawn up.