Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

speculative

The state of Newry football is abysmal. Bosco got beat by Dromara on Friday evening, Shamrocks are 15th of 16 and Mitchell's languishing at the bottom tier- like one poster said earlier, the pick of Newry wouldn't beat the mid table Div 1 teams. But is this anything new? Last time a team from Newry won the senior championship Sean O'Neill was playing. It's an epidemic that stems from a lack of togetherness from underage the whole way up. Toomany players have no real passion for the club therefore are unwilling to put in the effort needed to progress.

Hedgehunter

Shamrocks are a perrenial powerhouse in underage football are they not? How or why has that not transgressed into Senior Football?

OgraAnDun

NP 76

I wouldn't say the shamrocks are a power house at underage a good minor team last year that were pipped by Burren. That's what they are pinning their future hopes on. I think nine of that team are starting on the senior team this year. Underage football in Newry is very poor and doesn't look to have any signs of improvement in the near future

redandblackareback

Quote from: T O Hare on June 15, 2015, 09:15:24 PM
Is the Burren v Kilcoo game on tomorrow???

Why was this game not played at the weekend?

Leftmidfield

Due to the death of father mcardle

redandblackareback

Quote from: Leftmidfield on June 15, 2015, 11:02:14 PM

Sure did the Burren club not go ahead t run an U12 tournament then on the Saturday morning? Strange that.

supersub

Quote from: redandblackareback on June 15, 2015, 11:25:54 PM

Sure did the Burren club not go ahead t run an U12 tournament then on the Saturday morning? Strange that.

For the Hospice..where Fr McArdle had been and passed away in. Fitting enough I would have thought.

redandblackareback

Quote from: supersub on June 15, 2015, 11:42:41 PM
Quote from: redandblackareback on June 15, 2015, 11:25:54 PM

For the Hospice..where Fr McArdle had been and passed away in. Fitting enough I would have thought.

Donate the gate of the game to the hospice, minutes silence, black armbands, all fitting tributes also I would have thought, considering the gate to that game would have been pretty large, I knew quite a few people who would have went. Cant understand why all club activities weren't pulled, surely its all or nothing

5 Sams

Couldn't be arsed looking it up but from memory the rule states that you cant get a game off for a death unless a direct relative of a player has died. Then again it is Burren. Seems they can do what they want.
The Aristocrat Years

meatsy86

Quote from: 5 Sams on June 16, 2015, 12:21:49 AM
Couldn't be arsed looking it up but from memory the rule states that you cant get a game off for a death unless a direct relative of a player has died. Then again it is Burren. Seems they can do what they want.

Although i am no great lover of Burren i must jump to their defence here as Fr.McArdle was the club Vice-President from what ive heard. So that to me would be grounds for postponement.

snoopdog

The County board really need to look at Newry it has a big population and that needs to be tapped, granted Soccer is a big pull but surely if they look at the reward Dublin is getting from investing in Hurling in the City, granted they aint world beaters yet, but surely only a matter of time.
There is obviously massive potential in Newry that Down could dearly do with. The Schools have great records on the playing pitch but the players would come from the surrounding areas. Time the county board pulled its head out of its hole and try to get young lads in the town interested past u16 and minor.
Im gone out of the county a long time now but im not sure what facilities Mitchels have.

5 Sams

I see Benny saying in the Democrat today that if McCorry got a few of the old hands back on board next year he would give it another rattle. ???
The Aristocrat Years

5 Sams

Down website saying that the Wexford game is at half 6 on Saturday week. Gonna be a long day. What is it? A good 3 hours each way?
The Aristocrat Years

Tiocfaidh Ned

160 miles from Newry and hotels are at a premium in Wexford, €200 for a bog standard room for one night. Wouldn't it be a great idea if we had a paid secretary who could have a wee word with his conterpart in Wexford and arrange an earlier throw in, to allow the travelling supporters to get home before midnight.
Of course it would be even better if you didn't have to worry about travel arrangements for away games and could sit on the bus with the players and management, even get on the pitch for a wee walk about before the throw in.

We won't mention the new county website and who is running it.