Death Notices

Started by Armagh4SamAgain, April 05, 2007, 03:25:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LooseCannon

Quote from: BennyCake on January 07, 2020, 09:11:32 PM
I don't care what anyone says, but social media is a big part of today's mental health issues.

Everyone is connected but nobody is actually taking the time to meet and talk properly.

This.

Talk to people.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: BennyCake on January 07, 2020, 09:11:32 PM
I don't care what anyone says, but social media is a big part of today's mental health issues.

Everyone is connected but nobody is actually taking the time to meet and talk properly.

What is worse is that I witnessed people 'making hay' out of this tragedy on social media today!  Let the family grieve without trying to put yourself front and centre. It's actually disgusting.

imtommygunn

Yeah I would say so too. You always used to read about all these famous people with all these fans etc but when it came down to it they were really lonely. It's probably not that different from what social media has created with likes, follows etc.

BennyCake

Quote from: imtommygunn on January 07, 2020, 09:18:01 PM
Yeah I would say so too. You always used to read about all these famous people with all these fans etc but when it came down to it they were really lonely. It's probably not that different from what social media has created with likes, follows etc.

Yeah absolutely.

Not only that, but people posting about their supposed perfect life, partner, job, car etc, and people looking at it thinking their life is so shit.

Milltown Row2

Unfortunately social media is here to stay and grow. It has actually created feuding within families due to posts, or points of view that may differ and usually it wouldn't raise its head on a day to day.

My father in law does a lot of mediation between employers and employees for the council, he'd regularly be called out to homes at all times to chat with lads who are on the brink of suicide, it's getting worse and suicide seems to be (for them) the easy way out rather than dealing with the horrors of depression
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

seafoid

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 07, 2020, 07:55:26 PM
Listened regularly to Clements and Conway every morning on the way to work, very good and quick witted, he had written a book about growing up, and if you're a certain age it's hits the spot.

Also heard recently as Kidder said had recent split with wife, who knows the pressures people put on themselves or was there always that darkness behind the outwardly happy smile he showed.

It's a shocker and brings home (if not already) the suicide rates for this place, especially men under 50!
Have suicides related to Troubles trauma post ceasefire not surpassed Troubles deaths at this stage? 
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Milltown Row2

Quote from: seafoid on January 07, 2020, 09:56:55 PM
Listened regularly to Clements and Conway every morning on the way to work, very good and quick witted, he had written a book about growing up, and if you're a certain age it's hits the spot.

Also heard recently as Kidder said had recent split with wife, who knows the pressures people put on themselves or was there always that darkness behind the outwardly happy smile he showed.

It's a shocker and brings home (if not already) the suicide rates for this place, especially men under 50!
Have suicides related to Troubles trauma post ceasefire not surpassed Troubles deaths at this stage?

Suicides can't all be laid at the door post troubles.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

BennyCake

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 07, 2020, 09:27:56 PM
Unfortunately social media is here to stay and grow. It has actually created feuding within families due to posts, or points of view that may differ and usually it wouldn't raise its head on a day to day.

I've heard grown adults bitching and complaining about family members/friends not liking or commenting on their Facebook posts/photos. WTF?

Hardy

Quote from: johnnycool on January 07, 2020, 02:59:43 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on January 07, 2020, 02:43:03 PM
Quote from: gallsman on January 07, 2020, 02:11:23 PM
You can infer what happened from the way the articles are written. He "died suddenly".

Unfortunately I heard that was the case :(

Sad for all those involved.

If it was suicide is the reason it's not widely published an attempt not to glorify it?

Preventing suicide by influencing mass-media reporting. The Viennese experience 1980–1996
The gist: Guidelines agreed by the media on suicide reporting reduced the incidence of imitative suicide by over 80%.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Substance abuse, sexuality struggles , sex abuse, economic hardships, loss of religion without a spiritual replacement, legacy strife from troubles. All need dealt with.

johnnycool

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on January 07, 2020, 10:25:02 PM
Substance abuse, sexuality struggles , sex abuse, economic hardships, loss of religion without a spiritual replacement, legacy strife from troubles. All need dealt with.

Agree with most, but not sure about "loss of religion without spiritual replacement"

Do you think not having a deity to worship or afterlife to strive for causes mental health issues?

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: johnnycool on January 08, 2020, 10:02:07 AM

Agree with most, but not sure about "loss of religion without spiritual replacement"

Do you think not having a deity to worship or afterlife to strive for causes mental health issues?

It is just my own theory(I am not a Mass goer), but I think a loss of faith can lead to despair. I cant really articulate properly what I am trying to say, but a lot of our old values(religious or spiritual) have been replaced with shallow and materialistic values. As I said just my own thoughts, and it would be lower down the list for me than some of the other things I listed.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on January 08, 2020, 10:58:00 AM

It is just my own theory(I am not a Mass goer), but I think a loss of faith can lead to despair. I cant really articulate properly what I am trying to say, but a lot of our old values(religious or spiritual) have been replaced with shallow and materialistic values. As I said just my own thoughts, and it would be lower down the list for me than some of the other things I listed.

I get that, to a point, the strong moral grounding our parents instilled on us (mainly from a religious background) is certainly missing. I'd say a generation or two is missing that 'figure' in their lives but more importantly children growing up in dysfunctional families, be they separated from their dads/mums or abusive parents is making their kids life a misery won't be help our future generations

RedHand88

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on January 08, 2020, 10:58:00 AM

I agree. I know alot of people like to throw the boot into the church and of course some of the scandals associated with them are horrific. But we haven't replaced that spiritual connection since the dissasocistion with religion began in the 90s/00s. Any wonder depression and suicude is so rife. What would be the point in life if you didn't have some sort of belief in a higher power?

RedHand88

Quote from: seafoid on January 07, 2020, 09:56:55 PM

There have been more suicides since 1998 than deaths during the troubles. Though it's not always easy to link a suicide to the troubles. Many of course are due to other factors.