U15 Football Age Grade - Size 4 or Size 5 footballs ??

Started by delgany, April 14, 2021, 11:02:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

delgany

https://twitter.com/PlayerGaelic/status/1380807823139995648?s=20

Some debate going on around this issue. Croker has allowed counties to make their own decisions. ( which is strange in itself)
So some counties  are going size 4, others have a size  5  and others have a 4 or 5 depending on competition or grade of football. ( Hurling may be the same )
A size 5 would be heavy enough thing for a young lad to kick out, for  a start !

clarshack

U-15 Og Sport would always have been size 4 I think.

johnnycool

Quote from: delgany on April 14, 2021, 11:02:02 PM

Some debate going on around this issue. Croker has allowed counties to make their own decisions. ( which is strange in itself)
So some counties  are going size 4, others have a size  5  and others have a 4 or 5 depending on competition or grade of football. ( Hurling may be the same )
A size 5 would be heavy enough thing for a young lad to kick out, for  a start !

hurling is the same and we were told size 5 last year but most clubs we played were using size 4's.

No right or wrong answer but I'd suggest counties where most clubs can field a team of entirely 15 and 14 yo's then size 5. If a lot of clubs require 13 and even 12yo's to field then size 4 IMO.

Armagh CĂșchulainns

Change/rules should progressive per age,

U11.5 - Use smart touch on smaller pitches with modified rules.
U13 - Use size 4 with larger playing area. Kickouts and 45m kicks from hands.
U15 - Use size 4 on full size pitches with kickouts and 45m kicks from the ground.
U17 - Move to size 5 with full normal rules.

Id also be a fan of game timings being progressive as age develops. e.g:

U11.5 - 4 x 10 mins
U13 - 3 x 15 mins
U15 - 3 x 20 mins
U17 - 2 x 30 mins
Its all about the Hurling.

Silver hill

Derry have gone with size 4 with kick outs off the ground. Wise move I think as kick outs with size 5 would have been problematic

bigarsedkeeper

Quote from: johnnycool on April 15, 2021, 09:04:00 AM

hurling is the same and we were told size 5 last year but most clubs we played were using size 4's.

No right or wrong answer but I'd suggest counties where most clubs can field a team of entirely 15 and 14 yo's then size 5. If a lot of clubs require 13 and even 12yo's to field then size 4 IMO.

Is there any determent to using a size 4 for longer? I don't see the big problem with it. I've saw people against the younger groups using the smart touch etc. One club was pushing size 4s at U8s.I only started hurling at U14 (1995) so we always used a size 5 I think. Definitely used size 5 a U14s in football too and went straight to kick outs off the ground too. I remember the line of boys along the 20m line trying to catch the kickouts  :D

johnnycool

Quote from: bigarsedkeeper on April 16, 2021, 11:08:49 AM
Quote from: johnnycool on April 15, 2021, 09:04:00 AM

Is there any determent to using a size 4 for longer? I don't see the big problem with it. I've saw people against the younger groups using the smart touch etc. One club was pushing size 4s at U8s.I only started hurling at U14 (1995) so we always used a size 5 I think. Definitely used size 5 a U14s in football too and went straight to kick outs off the ground too. I remember the line of boys along the 20m line trying to catch the kickouts  :D

Hurling wise we've a couple of big lads at U15 and they'd puck a size 4 80 odd metres no bother but then also on the same team we'd have some 12 and 13 yo's who almost without doubt wouldn't puck it 30 metres on a good day and would never put their hand up to catch it.

No right or wrong answer to this IMO.

No1

QuoteI remember the line of boys along the 20m line trying to catch the kickouts  :D

;D  You've brought back some memories there!!  It didn't get much better as my "career" went along.   :)

bigarsedkeeper

Quote from: No1 on April 16, 2021, 05:37:29 PM
QuoteI remember the line of boys along the 20m line trying to catch the kickouts  :D

;D  You've brought back some memories there!!  It didn't get much better as my "career" went along.   :)
That one was more as a forward very early on. Our problem was the amount of the kick outs we had to hit. Went from the goalie through the whole full back line to get through the sheer volume.

johnnycool

All sorted now Size 4 for U15's in hurling and football.

Games Development Committee recommendation it seems

Taylor

Quote from: johnnycool on April 19, 2021, 04:09:17 PM

Have you a link to this johnny?

johnnycool

Quote from: Taylor on April 19, 2021, 04:30:52 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on April 19, 2021, 04:09:17 PM

Have you a link to this johnny?

No link, it's an excerpt from an email that Down County Board put out the other day.