Hunting

Started by The Iceman, May 15, 2017, 09:24:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StGallsGAA

Hunting mink is fine. it's is the one animal that needs to be eradicated as it has decimated native mammals and birds.

Captain Obvious

Hunting still classed as a sport seriously? Children will do almost anything no sense but it takes a certain individual as a adult to go hunting animals in the first place maybe a butcher by trade?

The Subbie

Just to be clear here

Are we talking about the tally ho brigade type of hunting or heading off with the dog and a double barrel type of hunting?

The tally ho brigade do themselves no favours at all and I wouldn't shed a tear if they were severely curtailed on their antics but banning I would only encourage the do gooders.

MoChara

I have to laugh at those that are out in a group of about 40 on horse back dressed like red coats with a hundred dogs saying that they are there as vermin control, even if fox numbers need to be controlled which I doubt its hardly the most efficient method, especially when you consider that for some of these hunts the toffs have someone breeding the fox's in captivity.

Sometimes hunting is necessary but I don't think it should be considered a sport.

The Gs Man

Hunted with lurchers, terriers, lamps etc myself when I was in my teens.  Was a great hobby.  Maybe 3 or 4 rabbits every time we went out and called in the odd fox.

The hunters nearly became the hunted when we got a bit to close to Maghaberry jail at one stage in the 90's and we were lined up against a wall by a half dozen soldiers at 2am.  Scary enough when you're 14.

Would still see a load of teens heading out with the lurchers etc round Lurgan.  Keeps them off the streets.
Keep 'er lit

johnneycool

Quote from: The Subbie on May 16, 2017, 07:54:37 AM
Just to be clear here

Are we talking about the tally ho brigade type of hunting or heading off with the dog and a double barrel type of hunting?

The tally ho brigade do themselves no favours at all and I wouldn't shed a tear if they were severely curtailed on their antics but banning I would only encourage the do gooders.

I know both types, the tally ho's who are despised by the local farmers and then the double barrel and dog type lads who almost certainly aren't farmers and are always looking farmers to sign permits to allow them to hold firearms. Some gun and springer lads I know breed their own fowl for shooting at whatever season or other and that's fine but its certainly nothing to do with vermin control, just blood sports simples.

maddog

Often went shooting with the father and uncles. Basically a couple of shotguns and a few dogs. If you bagged a pheasant down the moss then great. It was eaten and i see nothing wrong with that. Hunting as in tally ho etc i detest. If you aren't going to eat it why kill it. I apply the same logic to fishing.
At the moment i have a fox that is living in and around our back garden. As a result there has been no cat poo for months so he is very welcome.

general_lee

lurganblue

Quote from: maddog on May 16, 2017, 08:53:28 AM
Often went shooting with the father and uncles. Basically a couple of shotguns and a few dogs. If you bagged a pheasant down the moss then great. It was eaten and i see nothing wrong with that. Hunting as in tally ho etc i detest. If you aren't going to eat it why kill it. I apply the same logic to fishing.
At the moment i have a fox that is living in and around our back garden. As a result there has been no cat poo for months so he is very welcome.

Where can i get me one of these fox things... cats are a fuckin torture

maddog

Quote from: lurganblue on May 16, 2017, 12:20:15 PM
Quote from: maddog on May 16, 2017, 08:53:28 AM

Where can i get me one of these fox things... cats are a fuckin torture

I also find that if you dry out some used tea bags and then soak them in diesel and scatter around the garden they dont like the smell and that helps keep them out.

The Iceman

I was part of a foot hound organization. We hunted hares. In the ten years I hunted I think we killed maybe 5? The purpose was the hunt, the chase.  We didn't want to kill the hare or we'd have nothing to hunt the next week. Hares run in circles or rings, each one about 1-2 miles in distance around.  You get to see what dogs have the speed, the scent, you get to watch the hare try to evade them - it was a real sport.  We hated to run into a fox because they'll head straight out for miles and you end up losing dogs. In my time hunting with hounds we killed one fox.

We hunted rabbits with ferrets for the Greyhound men. They bought them off us alive to blood their dogs. I also went out with terrier and lurcher men and dug foxes or lamped at night time.

The horsey brigade are an entirely different group.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Syferus

Quote from: The Iceman on May 16, 2017, 12:48:21 PM
I was part of a foot hound organization. We hunted hares. In the ten years I hunted I think we killed maybe 5? The purpose was the hunt, the chase.  We didn't want to kill the hare or we'd have nothing to hunt the next week. Hares run in circles or rings, each one about 1-2 miles in distance around.  You get to see what dogs have the speed, the scent, you get to watch the hare try to evade them - it was a real sport.  We hated to run into a fox because they'll head straight out for miles and you end up losing dogs. In my time hunting with hounds we killed one fox.

We hunted rabbits with ferrets for the Greyhound men. They bought them off us alive to blood their dogs. I also went out with terrier and lurcher men and dug foxes or lamped at night time.

You need to Google the word 'sport' before you type another word.

Tony Baloney

Where is the sport or enjoyment in digging an animal out of its home? The fact that someone would want to do that is peculiar and a bit psychopathic in my opinion.

rosnarun

brought up in the country but never hunted in my life. most of the locals would have gone hunting , not a horse or beagle in sight.
maybe some one can differentiate between rich hunters and working class hunters  and how to ban one of them??
I was also brought up to believe not to go shouting about banning anything that i've no interest in had has nothing to do with me.
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

The Iceman

Quote from: Tony Baloney on May 16, 2017, 01:50:37 PM

Where is the sport or enjoyment in digging an animal out of its home? The fact that someone would want to do that is peculiar and a bit psychopathic in my opinion.
I specifically referenced the hound chasing the hare as a sport - not the digging foxes. Have you ever watched animals fighting in nature? Do you switch off the discovery channel when it's on there? I think as a teen it was something a lot of the country lads did.  There was something to be said about owning a great dog or being a great shot with a rifle. I think hitting a golf ball and walking after it for hours is peculiar...
I don't hunt with dogs anymore.  I haven't since I was in my teens.  My old foot hound club is still active but mostly with older men who were old when i was a lad. I grew out of it.  I'm not against it. 
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight