Mayo Club Football.

Started by intoDwest, November 10, 2006, 11:34:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

joemamas

Rosnarun

"Now im not bitter But is this the first time the best Club team in Roscommon has played the best club team in Sligo for the mayo county title?"

With an assinine comment like that, you are now the biggest asshole "contributing to the Mayo club football website". is the Hogan stand website down ?

Go back and get a history lesson. To say the Charlestown club is part of Sligo is pure ignorance. As far as I remember, they were connaught club champions in the last decade. As for Ballaghdereen, nobody could begrudge them a championship as over the years they have also contributed to Mayo football at various levels.

As I said and will repeat "you are an asshole"

stephenite

In fairness to Rosnarun, Joe - he even put the smiley face at the end to let us all know he was taking the piss.

joemamas

whatever, did not pick up on it.

However, any who has the vaguest idea of how immigration impacted those clubs were in the mid 80's especially Charlestown, who apparently lost an entire senior team and then some can only admire how they held in there.

stephenite

Yep - I doubt there was a club in Mayo that wasn't affected, hopefully we'll never reach those depths again

rosnarun

QuoteAs I said and will repeat "you are an asshole"

if there was a dig in the statement was at the expense of those sligonians and sheepstealesr who complain about anoy ballagh and the loss of some of the fine footbllers who  have come out of the bellaghy end of the town/parish. if this offend your sensibilities somewhat you can believe how sorry that makes me . in future i will keep my sorry japes to myself
however when I seen even stephenhite defending  me i know i haven't done too much wrong .
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

OirthearMhaigheo

feckin hell Joe, Ros fairly hit a nerve there! as an East Mayo man I know lots of Rossies and Sligos that b1tch and moan at how their counties have lost players to Mayo, this just makes the Mayos in Ballagh and Charlestown/Bellaghy smile even more! I think that's who Ros was trying to get at in fairness.
They are two classy East Mayo teams who both play a lovely brand of football. Alot of them would know each other from their St. Nathy's days too so it won't lack a bit of bite!

the Deel Rover

First thing first congrats to ballaghadreen last sunday and good luck in the final it should be a great game of football . As for the match it was a funny one i was delighted going in at half time we were defending well and went in at half time 2 points up. Ciran Mc was unreal on sunday and i for the life of me can't understand why the ballaghadreen managemet decided to leave hanley on Mc for the whole game , the point he scored from the now( torn down) stand side was unreal and was worth the admission price alone. Then we started off great in the 2nd half Mc got a beauty from play from out the wing and we were 3 points up. The turning point IMO came when Benny shot dropped into the square and young james Cafferkey just missed by inches to connect with it the keeper gathered it and about 30 seconds later in ended in the back of the Cross net so instead of perhaps been 5 points up we were a point down then before cross new what hit them another 2 goals went in and that was it game over however you cant fault, Mc d , James Nallen, Mark Leonard and Peadar for contining to bring the game to Ballaghadreen one thing those boys have is a lot of heart as well as a lot of talent and it would have been an interesting last few minutes if Benny had scored the penalty. As for the best players on view Mc was brilliant and i'm not been biased in that i was surrounded by ballagh lads who thought the same, Drake kilcullen in Midfield and Regan were the main men for ballaghadreen. On my way home from the match i was thinking that the standout players on the pitch last sunday definitely had domething to offer mayo this year but for some reason or another were not involved but thats for another day.Hope we have a good final next sunday and good luck to both teams involved enjoy it there is nothing that beats bringing the Moclair cup back home,l sorry i lie there is the Any Merrigan but the moclair cup comes a close 2nd.
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

AbbeySider

Shite odds for the final

Ballaghadereen    8 - 15
Draw    7 - 1
Charlestown    15 - 8

the Deel Rover

Quote from: AbbeySider on October 15, 2008, 04:07:48 PM
Shite odds for the final

Ballaghadereen    8 - 15
Draw    7 - 1
Charlestown    15 - 8

Are they the right odds for charlestown abbeysider ?
Crossmolina Deel Rovers

AbbeySider

Quote from: the Deel Rover on October 15, 2008, 04:45:10 PM

Shite odds for the final

Ballaghadereen    8 - 15
Draw    7 - 1
Charlestown    15 - 8

Are they the right odds for charlestown abbeysider ?

They are correct as of PaddyPower.ie

http://www.paddypower.com/bet?action=go_event&category=SPORTS&class_sort=--&ev_id=1237434&ev_class_id=67&ev_type_id=3218&force_racing_css=N

Interestingly...

Connaught Club Football Championship
Corofin    6 - 5
Ballaghdareen    7 - 4
Charlestown    8 - 1
Eastern Harps    10 - 1
Pearses    12 - 1
Castlerea    12 - 1
Glencar    28 - 1

MaroonAndWhite

Jesus, can't believe that Corofin are favourites for Connacht  ::). Bookies obviosly basing their odds on reputation rather than form. They won a poor Galway championship. Either Mayo team should beat them

RedandGreenSniper

8/1 for Charlestown is a crazy price for the Connacht. If they win Sunday, which I firmly believe they will, then they'll be into 2/1. I'd get onto them right away
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

AbbeySider

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on October 15, 2008, 11:26:45 PM
8/1 for Charlestown is a crazy price for the Connacht. If they win Sunday, which I firmly believe they will, then they'll be into 2/1. I'd get onto them right away

I dont think Charleston will win Sunday though.

the Deel Rover

Quote from: AbbeySider on October 16, 2008, 09:31:06 AM

i think charlestown have a great chance on sunday can't see why Ballaghadreen should be 8-15. This is Ballaghadreens 3rd game in 3 weeks and it is bound to have taking something out of them. In fairness if the bookies are making them favourites just because they bet cross they could be making a mistake . When your playing Ballaghadreen the main object is to stop the supply of ball going into Moran and Regan if you do that you have a great chance and Charlestown have the Midfield and half backs that can win possession. It will also be interesting to see where they play hanley imo he is completely wasted playing in the backs thats where he might be playing his aussie rules but imo he would be better playing in the forwards.
Crossmolina Deel Rovers

AbbeySider

Quote from: the Deel Rover on October 16, 2008, 09:55:28 AM
Quote from: AbbeySider on October 16, 2008, 09:31:06 AM

i think charlestown have a great chance on sunday can't see why Ballaghadreen should be 8-15. This is Ballaghadreens 3rd game in 3 weeks and it is bound to have taking something out of them. In fairness if the bookies are making them favourites just because they bet cross they could be making a mistake . When your playing Ballaghadreen the main object is to stop the supply of ball going into Moran and Regan if you do that you have a great chance and Charlestown have the Midfield and half backs that can win possession. It will also be interesting to see where they play hanley imo he is completely wasted playing in the backs thats where he might be playing his aussie rules but imo he would be better playing in the forwards.

Ballagh just seem to be peaking at  the right time, the heavier ground this time of year will suit them to.
They seem to be getting stronger and stronger.
In the two last games alone they scored 5-23... thats impressive.

Ballaghadereen    3-7   0-10   Crossmolina Deel Rovers   
Ballaghadereen    2-16   0-10   Ballintubber
Ballinrobe       1-5       2-19   Ballaghadereen
Ballaghadereen    3-16   1-7   Belmullet
Ballaghadereen    1-12   1-12   Ballintubber

Charlestown have not been putting up as good a score line in recent times
Charlestown    1-13   1-9   Claremorris
Charlestown    0-10   1-7   Westport
Charlestown    2-12   1-14   Castlebar Mitchels
Burrishoole    2-6   1-9   Charlestown
Charlestown    0-9   0-8   Bohola Moy-Davitts

IMO Ballagh have more scoring forwards, Moran and Regan do awful damage.
Midfield will be an epic battle. Kilcullen and Barry Kelly Vs Ginger and Parsons.
I still think Ballagh can shade it.