Mayo Club Football.

Started by intoDwest, November 10, 2006, 11:34:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedandGreenSniper

Very disappointed to here Breaffy lost. Can anyone who was at the game put a small report up? Deel Rover? Did Gardiner get a goal? One good note to the game so - he's in my fantasy football team!

Quote from: StoneWall on September 06, 2008, 09:27:38 PM
Crossmolina 2-10 v Breaffy 1-10
Ballagh 1-12 v Ballintubber 1-12

A draw is probably the last thing the county board wanted. I imagine the replay will not take place until after the All Ireland minor final as Ballintubber have 2 lads involved (even if one of them seems to be from Galway!).

Whats this craic about TUbber having a lad from Galway? Saw this somewhere else. Is it a joke or does someone really think its true? Ray Geraghty's from Ballintubber and Dean Gavin from Killawalla. Some result for Tubber, you'd have to think they might have had their chance though, with Hanley likely to start and the two Kilcullens might be back from suspension?
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

holly11

joemamas

Charlestown beating Castlebar by 2-8 to 1-9  12 mins into second half

joemamas

Charlestown  2-12   Castlebar 1-14

rosnarun

IS THAT A RESULT ?
CLAREMORRIS WON THE 2ND ONE BY 4 POINTS
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

AbbeySider

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on September 07, 2008, 11:20:35 AM
Very disappointed to here Breaffy lost. Can anyone who was at the game put a small report up? Deel Rover? Did Gardiner get a goal? One good note to the game so - he's in my fantasy football team!

A draw is probably the last thing the county board wanted. I imagine the replay will not take place until after the All Ireland minor final as Ballintubber have 2 lads involved (even if one of them seems to be from Galway!).

Whats this craic about TUbber having a lad from Galway? Saw this somewhere else. Is it a joke or does someone really think its true? Ray Geraghty's from Ballintubber and Dean Gavin from Killawalla. Some result for Tubber, you'd have to think they might have had their chance though, with Hanley likely to start and the two Kilcullens might be back from suspension?

StoneWall, can you enlighten us with that Galway comment? Im from Ballintubber and have never heard of anything like that.

Going back to the game, I felt we were robbed. We lead all the way through and stayed 3 clear for most of the game. Each time they came close we pulled off with a point or two again.
They got their goal 3 minutes into injury time. A bit of a sickener, didnt think they deserved a draw.
It was a good performance on our behalf, although I feel we have played better against other teams this year. I still think there is more in us.
Ballaghadrreen looked shell shocked for most of the game. They brought on Hanley after just 18 minutes. He didnt look as fit as I thought he would be. But he probably did lift them a bit.
Andy Moran was fairly quiet for most of the game. His last ditch goal came form a long ball in over the top that met the finger tips of Liam Tunny (our defender). He couldnt get to it and Andy finished the goal well.
We showed great character in levelling the match again straight away. In the closing stages we squandered a few chances and took bad options from frees. We had the chance to close the game but we live to fight another day in 3 weeks. Looking forward to it.

I had us backed at 9-2 last week and thought it was in the bag. Backed the draw at 9-1 on Saturday morning to cover my ass but it feels like dirty money now!  :'(
Bookies didnt even give us a chance, would have been sweet to collect if we one. One thing is for sure, we wont be at 9-2 the next day.

RedandGreenSniper

Phenomenal performance so from ye Abbeysider and probably a disappointing result in the end. What a difference a year makes. Kevin McGuinness scoring an unlikely winner in the county intermediate final last year. One year on and ye are within minutes of a senior semi final and the team ye beat in the inter final, Kiltimagh, are Junior! It would make you think.

If ye keep going as well as ye are we'll be hearing shouts of Horan for Mayo!!
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

Tubberman

QuoteQuote from: RedandGreenSniper on September 07, 2008, 11:20:35 AM

StoneWall, can you enlighten us with that Galway comment? Im from Ballintubber and have never heard of anything like that.

Going back to the game, I felt we were robbed. We lead all the way through and stayed 3 clear for most of the game. Each time they came close we pulled off with a point or two again.
They got their goal 3 minutes into injury time. A bit of a sickener, didnt think they deserved a draw.
It was a good performance on our behalf, although I feel we have played better against other teams this year. I still think there is more in us.
Ballaghadrreen looked shell shocked for most of the game. They brought on Hanley after just 18 minutes. He didnt look as fit as I thought he would be. But he probably did lift them a bit.
Andy Moran was fairly quiet for most of the game. His last ditch goal came form a long ball in over the top that met the finger tips of Liam Tunny (our defender). He couldnt get to it and Andy finished the goal well.
We showed great character in levelling the match again straight away. In the closing stages we squandered a few chances and took bad options from frees. We had the chance to close the game but we live to fight another day in 3 weeks. Looking forward to it.

I had us backed at 9-2 last week and thought it was in the bag. Backed the draw at 9-1 on Saturday morning to cover my ass but it feels like dirty money now! 
Bookies didnt even give us a chance, would have been sweet to collect if we one. One thing is for sure, we wont be at 9-2 the next day.

Think I know the reason for this Galway player confusion! During commentary for the minor replay, Mike Finnerty referred to Ray Geraghty as "the Cortoon man". Cortoon is the townland in Ballintubber that the Geraghty's are from. So someone obviously jumped to the wrong conclusion  :D
Anyway, as you said Abbeysider, that's a game Ballintubber really deserved to win. They lead for the entire game up until Andy Moran's goal in injury time. That was a real sickener, and at the time I didn't think we'd get a chance to level it.
But fair play to them, the Ballintubber boys won every ball after the goal. We even had our own goal chance, but Gavin passed to Geraghty and he was bundled out over the endline. Then we got a last second free and Alan Dillon kept his cool to pop it over (although getting it moved forward for Ballagh dissent did help!).
Great performances all over the field, probably unfair to list a couple because so many of them played great stuff. Hanley didn't make as much of an impact as I thought he would. But with another 3 weeks to get himself used to real football again (  :P ) he could be a different man for the replay.
But Ballintubber will know they are well capable of beating Ballagh - if they approach it like the minors did against Kerry, hopefully we'll get a similar result!
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Davitt Man

what about knockmore, was killer playing??

rosnarun

Crossmolia failed to really get going the last day till one of the breaffy ;ads tried to examine the extent of michael moyles's injuries. was impressed by how protective  the other players were of him . show good team spirit .
the class showed on the day with gardiner Mcdonald and nallen making the difference though nallen miss on goal could well have been a shooting offence had things gone a bit worse. others to show well were G walsh when he was brought on JOhnathan o boyle is beginning to look more like gardienr all the time. and there is a lot of undevloped talent in Carolan hpoe he stciks with it he could be Big.  beson was abit disapointing but it was a horrible day for a match and without rubble inplace of the stand absolutly no atnmos at all at all. Surely here was some where else this could have been played?
For breaffy shocking to see how goo Marty mac still is . one of the great wastse of talent for mayo in the last ten years or so durcan impressed as well well worth another look for the county.
Cross have a long way to go before they get back to where they were a few years back but at least new blood is creeping i slowly though too often ots at the expense of last tyears new blood and with Reilly Mcandrew and Ger oboyle back its still a very familar looking team and they will lwave a huge hole any year now
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

western exile

I decided to go to McHale Park on Sunday instead of watching the hurling on the TV, and I was glad that I did when I heard hurling result  8)

The second half of the Charlestown / Mitchels game was close with the lead changing hands a couple of times.  Castlebar were over reliant on a high ball into Barry Moran. This was successful sometimes, and did lead to a couple of points, but he was well marshalled by Sean Lenehan with Aidan Higgins dropping back to cover whenever needed.
The difference was in midfield where Tom Parsons and David Tiernan were excellent and it was fitting that Tieran got forward to score the winning point.

Claremorris started their game without Mullins, their main score getter this year, who has broken his shoulder.  Both teams started well, with Claremorris riding their luck as Knockmore hit the post when a goal was on, and later got a point which came off first the goalkeepers fingertips and then the crossbar.  For the rest of the half there was not much in it, with Claremorris relying on Ger Brady to get their scores and went iin one point ahead at half time.
The second half belonged to the Claremorris defence which was outstanding, snuffing out every Knockmore attack.  Ger Brady continued to get their scores including a goal which sealed Knockmore fate.

Davitt Man

when is the draw for the semi's??

the Deel Rover

think its this thursday davitt man
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

AbbeySider

Quote from: Davitt Man on September 09, 2008, 11:16:18 AM
when is the draw for the semi's??

The draw for the Semi-Final is Thursday night, 11th September 2008 at 9:00pm in the TF Royal Hotel.

Davitt Man

cheers lads, the county final date is set Oct 5th, suppose that will be pushed back a bit now.

Is the Ballagh v B\Tubber replay on Sept 27th?