Quote from: the Deel Rover on June 02, 2008, 04:10:44 PM
Any league results lads cross beat westport by 4 points

Division 1 results
Bohola Moy-Davitts  0-9 0-12 Ballinrobe 
Knockmore  1-11 2-6 Belmullet  Knockmore 
Crossmolina Deel Rovers  1-10 1-6 Westport 
Ballaghadereen  1-18 1-6 Burrishoole 
Charlestown  0-11 1-8 Breaffy 

Big win for Ballagh' - are they gonna hit top gear at the right time this year?
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

stephenite

As per my original quote - there is a lot of work involved and I am prepared to give anyone credit for this

However the issues I have (some of which have already been touched on)

1. Padraig Nally affair - responsible for going on live national radio and deciding to proclaim to the whole nation that the GAA was more than just a sporting organisation. His actions on this issue (which included a rap on the knuckles from Central Council) also saw him mis-representing Mayo GAA members and the entire association by using his position within the GAA to attempt to organise a racist rally against travellers to be held on GAA grounds. That he wasn't expelled from the association for this alone is something that makes me uncomfortable, but as per the debacle in Antrim and the hunger strike rally you can get away with anything if you want to.

2. Hurling - you've outlined that above but he should've kept quiet. If someone is to complain about the cost of things it's either the treasurers job or the PRO acting on behalf of the entire CB executive.

3. Small Players - I don't care what journalists asks him - he is not eleceted to mouth off about the virtues or not of Mayo Footballers - his job is to administer the game within the County and ensure that the relevant facilities are available for county teams. He does a good job ensuring ther county teams are well prepared, no problem with that. However, he is unqualified to be publicly questioning the value of footballers available to play at the highest level in Mayo, and he should keep quiet on that and other football specific matters - if he was going to manage the senior team he'd have done so by now.

4. The Last Word : Rule 42 - Embarrassed the entire county with a childish interview given to Matt Cooper on the weekend of the Rule 42 debate, as one of the counties who hadn't publicly declared what way the delegates would vite he accepted an invitation to speak on this programme and tried to act like some sort of cute Kerry man with the interviewer, it was a pointless vanity exercise to get his name out there.

5. League standings - Completley re-wrote the rule book with regard to the re-structuring of the senior leagues, resulting in the demotion of my club because the rules were changed at the end of the season - wouldn't be allowed happen anywhere else. Other clubs gained and others lost, and a vote was taken - you can't change the rules after the fact and as secretary he has to take responsibility.

A good County secretary is one that is never heard of - we should hardly know his name. Feeney opens his trap too often in the national press for me to comfortable with - he reminds me of Sean Kelly in some ways.

I'm sure he is a nice man (lads from Ballina that have been involved with County teams that I know haven't a bad word to say about him) I just feel that he sometimes uses his position for a bit of self promotion with his eyes on bigger prizes further up the "officialdom" ladder.

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: stephenite on June 03, 2008, 05:45:15 AM

1. Padraig Nally affair - responsible for going on live national radio and deciding to proclaim to the whole nation that the GAA was more than just a sporting organisation. His actions on this issue (which included a rap on the knuckles from Central Council) also saw him mis-representing Mayo GAA members and the entire association by using his position within the GAA to attempt to organise a racist rally against travellers to be held on GAA grounds. That he wasn't expelled from the association for this alone is something that makes me uncomfortable, but as per the debacle in Antrim and the hunger strike rally you can get away with anything if you want to.

As I said before I agree his involvement here was ill advised. But it was James Waldron who was driving this particular bus if we're to be honest. Nonetheless Feeney shouldn't have tried to use Mayo GAA for this purpose. I think a lot of Mayo gaels may have agreed with him but it wasn't right to use Mayo GAA as a weapon (no pun intended).
Perhaps I'm mistaken but was the rally not in support of Padraig Nally rather than against travellers? I couldn't agree with ya on expulsion though. It was an issue that really raised emotions in south Mayo and Feeney and Waldron would have witnessed this. They were still wrong but its not something I would hold against them long term.

2. Hurling - you've outlined that above but he should've kept quiet. If someone is to complain about the cost of things it's either the treasurers job or the PRO acting on behalf of the entire CB executive.

The PRO is about as useful as tits on a bull and the less said about the treasurer the better. I'd have much stronger objections to these two officials to be frank but that's another story. Bottom line is Feeney and/or Waldron are the best people to speak on behalf of the county board.

3. Small Players - I don't care what journalists asks him - he is not eleceted to mouth off about the virtues or not of Mayo Footballers - his job is to administer the game within the County and ensure that the relevant facilities are available for county teams. He does a good job ensuring ther county teams are well prepared, no problem with that. However, he is unqualified to be publicly questioning the value of footballers available to play at the highest level in Mayo, and he should keep quiet on that and other football specific matters - if he was going to manage the senior team he'd have done so by now.

I don't remember the exact timing of these comments and that would be crucial. But said at the right time I think he is qualified to comment. But I'd be more concerned with proper time and money being put into the structures for developing underage players. The county board don't seem to have the will here to change things enough.

4. The Last Word : Rule 42 - Embarrassed the entire county with a childish interview given to Matt Cooper on the weekend of the Rule 42 debate, as one of the counties who hadn't publicly declared what way the delegates would vite he accepted an invitation to speak on this programme and tried to act like some sort of cute Kerry man with the interviewer, it was a pointless vanity exercise to get his name out there.

Didn't hear that programme but I can imagine what it was like. Don't know if it could be a vanity exercise though - TodayFM would have rang him

5. League standings - Completley re-wrote the rule book with regard to the re-structuring of the senior leagues, resulting in the demotion of my club because the rules were changed at the end of the season - wouldn't be allowed happen anywhere else. Other clubs gained and others lost, and a vote was taken - you can't change the rules after the fact and as secretary he has to take responsibility.

That was an unholy mess. But it was Prenty who brought about the changes there. Hopefully the leagues will be left as they are from now on.

the Deel Rover

Crafty Cross' will overcome

Sean Rice
ALL the big guns are being wheeled into action again at the weekend as the championship intensifies. And for the cognoscenti there's a bagful of attractions. Knockmore is one of the more tempting venues where the locals take on their old antagonists, Crossmolina.
There's nothing like a good neighbourly scrap to stir the soul. Knockmore and Crossmolina have provided us with some rousing contests down the years. And while the balance of success has tilted heavily towards the Deel Rovers in recent years, there was a time when their opponents were untouchable.
Long before Crossmolina's brave new world emerged in 1995, Knockmore had cultivated their own fertile patch and embellished it with six senior titles. Eleven years have passed, however, since they last raised the Moclair Cup. In the intervening period Crossmolina have recorded five victories. Is it any wonder the Knockmore supporters are becoming impatient?
Nothing they have done in the league suggests this is to be their year either. They have lost key man Trevor Howley. And even though the championship has a way of contradicting league form and upsetting the odds, a heavy defeat by hugely improved Breaffy is not a good augury. Yet, they are on home soil this weekend, and the game follows a convincing victory over Louisburgh. They will have Aidan Kilcoyne back, and they have inspirational players in John Brogan, Kevin McLoughlin, Damien Munnelly and James Noone.
Because it is an old rivalry they'll not fear Crossmolina. They will have decked that Cross' travel badly, that they are still relying on their old soldiers – the Nallens, Paul McGuinness, Joe Keane, Stephen Rochford and of course Ciaran McDonald – to rescue their bid for an eighth senior title.
They'll convince themselves that the time is ripe for youthful enthusiasm to triumph. But waning though they are, the maturity of Crossmolina is likely to overcome. It could be the match of the day.If there is one venue in which high-flying Castlebar Mitchels could be dragged down to earth, it is Claremorris. They make the journey to the South Mayo capital fully aware that despite their victory over the holders, Ballina Stephenites, they are not yet case-hardened. They are contenders for the county title, but not favourites.
In their league clash at the same venue, Castlebar had seven points to spare. The margin, not the victory, did flatter them somewhat. They benefited from a fortuitous goal in the first half, and from the failure by Claremorris to score from a penalty.
Like Castlebar, Claremorris have been making real progress this year – enthused by the competitive Feeley brothers, Mickey Mullins, Brian Gallagher, Ger Brady, Seán Prendergast and Tomás Griffin – and their victory over Burrishoole will spur them at the weekend.It is a game fraught with danger for the visitors. But nobody who has seen them can deny that Peter Ford and his selectors has begun to weld their splintered talents into a cohesive force that is arousing respect. Rory O'Grady, Tom Cunniffe, Alan Nolan, Shane Fitzmaurice, Niall Lydon, Neil Douglas, Barry Moran and Eamon Tiernan are enjoying their football and playing with conviction. They should win, but it will be a heck of a struggle.Their draw on home soil against Breaffy has clouded somewhat the championship promise of Shrule/Glencorrib. They had been blazing a trail in the league and we thought it had them well prepared for the visit of Breaffy.But the rising tide of Castlebar football has also lifted the boat of their fellow parishioners.  And, as they proved in Shrule, Breaffy are now among the dark horses of the championship.
The South Mayo side will be disappointed to have drawn and they make the journey to Ballaghaderreen with some trepidation. It's a big game for both teams. And it has the makings of a thriller worth travelling some distance to observe.Less compelling and less convincing than at this stage last season, Ballaghaderreen will surely be the better for that.
But if they are to restore the lustre that faded after last year's semi-final defeat, then the Kilcullen brothers, Andy Moran, Stephen Drake and company have got to do it this weekend.
The task facing Shrule is enormous. Yet if any team can rise to the occasion it is the border club. Powered by the Mortimers, the Ronaldsons, Dermot Geraghty, Kieran Conroy, Brian Murphy and Kieran Walsh, they will shirk no obstacle in their search for a way back on track. It's a toss of a coin between them.
But I, for one, would not bet against the men from the south.In other ties, I fancy Ballintubber, Charlestown, Ballinrobe, Breaffy and Ballina Stephenites.

An article by Sean Rice in this weeks Mayo news , Really looking forward to the match myself however i wouldn't be too confident as we are not playing well at the moment  there was some improvement against wesport on monday however nothing like a game against the auld enemy to get you focused . We have a few young lads introduced however we are still reliant on the likes of Jimmy , Ciaran MC, Hoggy, Joe and Tom Nallen for inspiration and these boys have been there since 1993 and have huge miles on the clock hopefully they have one more year left in them whereas you look at Knockmore and they have a relatively young team with only Deccy Sweeney in his 30's. Should be a great atmosphere are you heading to the match farrendellin ?

Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

stephenite

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on June 03, 2008, 07:47:30 AM
But it was James Waldron who was driving this particular bus if we're to be honest. Nonetheless Feeney shouldn't have tried to use Mayo GAA for this purpose. I think a lot of Mayo gaels may have agreed with him but it wasn't right to use Mayo GAA as a weapon (no pun intended).
Perhaps I'm mistaken but was the rally not in support of Padraig Nally rather than against travellers? I couldn't agree with ya on expulsion though. It was an issue that really raised emotions in south Mayo and Feeney and Waldron would have witnessed this. They were still wrong but its not something I would hold against them long term.

It was not James Waldron that went on National radio proclaiming that the GAA was more than a sporting organisation - and it was not James Waldron that got censured by Croke Park.

The PRO is about as useful as tits on a bull and the less said about the treasurer the better. I'd have much stronger objections to these two officials to be frank but that's another story. Bottom line is Feeney and/or Waldron are the best people to speak on behalf of the county board.

Not a valid argument - they are the elected officials with the responsibility to either speak on behalf of the county board or discuss issues realting to finance.

I don't remember the exact timing of these comments and that would be crucial. But said at the right time I think he is qualified to comment. But I'd be more concerned with proper time and money being put into the structures for developing underage players. The county board don't seem to have the will here to change things enough.

Why is the timing crucial? The timing of the comments shouldn't make any difference, it was a cheap comment in the aftermath of one of the recent heavy All Ireland losses if I recall correctly - Stevie Wonder could've seen that we had issues with size in the full back line, Sean Rice is no more qualified than me in fairness and it doesn't stop me - however he is a senior member if the county board and his comments were ill advised at best - extremley ignorant at worst.

Didn't hear that programme but I can imagine what it was like. Don't know if it could be a vanity exercise though - TodayFM would have rang him

Today FM could've rang any number of CB secretaries that evening - why did he feel the need to comment? Still think it was a publicity stunt.

That was an unholy mess. But it was Prenty who brought about the changes there. Hopefully the leagues will be left as they are from now on.

I could be wrong but I'm quite sure Prenty was the one railing aginst the decision that now stands - he was pretty vocal about it when the decision was finally taken

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: stephenite on June 03, 2008, 02:23:27 PM

It was not James Waldron that went on National radio proclaiming that the GAA was more than a sporting organisation - and it was not James Waldron that got censured by Croke Park.

Waldron certainly set the ball rolling on the whole issue but I agree with you, what they did was poor judgement. I just think that it was a minor mistake, he got sanctioned and hopefully learned from it

Not a valid argument - they are the elected officials with the responsibility to either speak on behalf of the county board or discuss issues realting to finance.

[/quote]

This is my entire point. You're right - they are elected to do that job but it just shows the lack of quality officials on the county board. If these two were to comment on a regular basis we'd have even bigger problems. Feeney may have a habit of putting his foot in it occassionally but he'd be much more useful to comment than either of these two as far as I'm concerned.

Why is the timing crucial? The timing of the comments shouldn't make any difference, it was a cheap comment in the aftermath of one of the recent heavy All Ireland losses if I recall correctly - Stevie Wonder could've seen that we had issues with size in the full back line, Sean Rice is no more qualified than me in fairness and it doesn't stop me - however he is a senior member if the county board and his comments were ill advised at best - extremley ignorant at worst.

Timing was crucial. If it was long enough after the defeat when proper introspection was due, then they were fair enough comments. Personally I don't see how such observations are damaging.

Today FM could've rang any number of CB secretaries that evening - why did he feel the need to comment? Still think it was a publicity stunt.

[/quote]

Perhaps it was. Not sure we'll ever know to be honest

I could be wrong but I'm quite sure Prenty was the one railing aginst the decision that now stands - he was pretty vocal about it when the decision was finally taken

From what I remember Prenty only started stirring the hornets nest because Ballyhaunis were in relegation bother from 2B.
Once his objection was successful the county board were left with a scenario where Mitchels and Kiltane (I think) would be relegated from Division 1 (then containing 20 teams) to Division 2 despite being under the impression they had a play-off to fall back on.
The Connacht Council (how ironic) then suggested that the county board revisit the league structures and so they made a 12 team division 1, 12 team division 2 and so on. Teams like Ballina and Shrule were, you could say, demoted but not as last year's league stood. It was a holy mess brought about by Prenty using his knowledge of the rulebook to help his own club. His entitlement I guess but it really was a joke imho

stephenite

Suppose it doesn't really matter now - he's there for better or worse!

I suppose to sum up my position - I respect the many long hours of work that he put in voluntarily, but I have complete disrespect for what I deem to be excessive public comment from the man. If that were to stop I wouldn't really have a problem - however now that he's a full time employee I think the ill advised public statements might increase if only to prove to the public at large that he's there and working. And now that he's a full time employee the gloves are off  when it comes to anything that might be said in the future ;)

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: stephenite on June 04, 2008, 04:00:21 AM
Suppose it doesn't really matter now - he's there for better or worse!

I suppose to sum up my position - I respect the many long hours of work that he put in voluntarily, but I have complete disrespect for what I deem to be excessive public comment from the man. If that were to stop I wouldn't really have a problem - however now that he's a full time employee I think the ill advised public statements might increase if only to prove to the public at large that he's there and working. And now that he's a full time employee the gloves are off  when it comes to anything that might be said in the future ;)

Yeah the paid aspect does change things alright. I really think though that we are gonna have a major problem in the coming years unless we get new blood involved with the county board. I know the county board may look at the redevelopment of McHale Park as their single priority for now and perhaps fair enough. Just once that is up and running attention will need to turn to underage development (which should be aided by the new facility) and recruitment. Clubs have to start to play a major role here

RedandGreenSniper

Round 2 of the championship this coming weekend - predictions anyone?

Senior:
Bohola Moy-Davitts  - - Ballintubber  Ballintubber by 1
Charlestown  - - Garrymore  Charlestown by 7
Knockmore  - - Crossmolina Deel Rovers  Cross by 7
Ballinrobe  - - Louisburgh  Ballinrobe by 6
Ballaghadereen  - - Shrule-Glencorrib  Ballagh by 3
Breaffy - - Kiltane  Breaffy by 5
Ballina Stephenites  - - Burrishoole  Ballina by 4
Claremorris  - - Castlebar Mitchels Mitchels by 2

the Deel Rover

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on June 04, 2008, 09:57:31 AM

Senior:

I Hope your right with the cross prediction i'd be happy with a 1 point win r&G ,  not playing down our chances or anything but its going to be hard to get a result in knockmore and we are just not clicking at the moment
Crossmolina Deel Rovers

Farrandeelin

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on June 04, 2008, 09:57:31 AM

Senior:

Well you weren't too far wrong with your Knockmore prediction against Louisburgh so it could be the same this weeekend:(. Maybe I shouldn't bother going on Sunday at all ;). Cross are Cross at the end of the day and it will be hard to see Knockmore winning against them in the Championship, I know we won in the league but that was day 1 of the season. Christ, I'd love it if we beat them but can't see it happening. Seen as both of the two teams are probably going to qualify I'll predict a draw with both making sure of qualification on the last day of the group stages.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: Farrandeelin on June 04, 2008, 04:31:23 PM

Well you weren't too far wrong with your Knockmore prediction against Louisburgh so it could be the same this weeekend:(. Maybe I shouldn't bother going on Sunday at all ;). Cross are Cross at the end of the day and it will be hard to see Knockmore winning against them in the Championship, I know we won in the league but that was day 1 of the season. Christ, I'd love it if we beat them but can't see it happening. Seen as both of the two teams are probably going to qualify I'll predict a draw with both making sure of qualification on the last day of the group stages.

I've a feeling you might go for a wee look Farrandeelin :D
I honestly think that all things being equal ye'd give Cross a good go and might pull off a surprise. Just think that with all yer current injuries and Cross' lack of same, that could be telling. James Noone looked like he was finally starting to deliver on his promise and Brian Gibbons will be a fair loss too. That's not to mention Trevor Howley. Kilcoyne - is he an injury worry as well?
Could be badly wrong though - Knockmore at home are never an easy proposition. I just reckon Cross have something about them this year and could pull away in the last ten minutes

rosnarun

what time is the cross knockmore game on sunday? mayogaa.com says 12pm but  i wouldn't travel 100 miles on their say so .( strange logic really i suppose trusting a discussion board over an offical website)
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Farrandeelin

It's at 4pm ros. There might be a bit of a gathering in Knockmore of gaaboard members eh! :D
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

the Deel Rover

Quote from: Farrandeelin on June 05, 2008, 09:43:05 PM
It's at 4pm ros. There might be a bit of a gathering in Knockmore of gaaboard members eh! :D

mines a Guinness Farrandeelin  ;)
Crossmolina Deel Rovers