Mayo Club Football.

Started by intoDwest, November 10, 2006, 11:34:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

the Deel Rover

Cross won by 2 . 8 to 8 points . They were loosing by 6 to 2 at half time did not play well in the 1st half good 2nd half
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Mayo4Sam

Any more championship results?
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Tubberman

Ballintubber 0-8 1-13 Charlestown
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Owenmoresider

Good start for Castlebar, beating Ballina yesterday. Could be well in the hunt later on? Two of the harder-called games ended funnily enough in draws, Shrule and Breaffy, and Garrymore and Moy Davitts. Ballagh did well to get a win out west too. Don't see any result for Knockmore, presume they should have won though.

Was at the Kiltimagh-Hollymount tie, not a great encounter, both sides missed plenty of chances, some quite easy ones too. Kiltimagh were 1-4 to 1 up after 20-odd minutes before a rather soft penalty got Holly back in it. Was 1-5 to 1-2 at HT, and only two Holly points came for much of the second half. Clifford Connolly missed a free to level it and Kiltimagh got their first point in ages from the same passage of play. Another followed and it looked to be over. Injury time came and Holly really got going, with three quickfire points to tie it up, Noel Connelly getting the last two, the latter a very good effort under pressure. Either side could have won, but Holly had enough chances and possession to deserve something out of it. It's a tricky group so the point is valuable for them. Kiltimagh tbh didn't look like a team that could have won the c'ship last year, one or two good forwards, but not much special besides. Still it beat watching that meaningless fare at HQ anyway.

StoneWall

Senior Championship Group A
Garrymore  1-11 0-14 Bohola Moy-Davitts
Ballintubber  0-8 1-13 Charlestown

Senior Championship Group B
Louisburgh  1-6 1-15 Knockmore

Senior Championship Group C
Shrule-Glencorrib  0-11 0-11 Breaffy
Kiltane  2-7 2-10 Ballaghadereen

Senior Championship Group D
Burrishoole  1-8 0-12 Claremorris
Castlebar Mitchels  1-10 0-10 Ballina Stephenites

Intermediate Championship Group A
Achill  1-13 2-6 Ballyhaunis
Mayo Gaels  0-6 1-8 Westport

Intermediate Championship Group B
Kilmeena  0-5 0-9 Bonniconlon
Aghamore  2-12 0-11 Belmullet

Intermediate Championship Group C
Parke-Keelouges-Crimlin  2-4 2-11 Crossmolina Deel Rovers B
Kilcommon  1-8 0-7 Swinford

Intermediate Championship Group D
Tourmakeady  2-11 2-9 Davitts
Kiltimagh  1-7 1-7 Hollymount

John Melvin showed what a lazy journalist he is when predicting the winners of the senior, intermediate and junior championship in the Connacht Telegraph last week. He said Parke and Kilcommon were in with a shout in the junior championship!

REDCOL

Went to three games at weekend. Kiltimagh v Hollymount on Saturday. Standard was very poor, Young Mc Carthy in MF for Kiltimagh looks like a prospect played MF for Rice College. Shrule v Breaffy. Very exciting game with a few stand out performances. Alan Durcan was excellent for Breaffy, Trevor Mortimer stood out throughout although he did fall foul of Peter Geraghtys whistle on a few occasions. The standard was very high throughout Young Hennelly was excellent in goals for Breaffy.
Garrymore v Moy Davitts. Played in a gale, Moy Davitts 12 -02 up at HT. James Mulderrig kicked four excellent points in First Half started at FF. Garrymore FB Line tormented in First Half. Second Half - Garrymore play long ball into Anthony Cunningham and Enda Varley in FF Line, they cause all sorts of trouble for Moy Davitts. Moy Davitts play very negative passing the ball back the field all the time. Get caught with an equalising point in injury time. Varley free in last minute from 50yards on wrong side for his left foot hits the post and ball cleared. Draw a fair result.

joemamas

Tubberman,

Can you provide any details on the Ballintubber v Charlestown game.

Thanks in advance

Tubberman

I can't give you firsthand details on it I'm afraid. Wasn't at home for weekend - Abbeysider might be able to oblige.
This is taken from the Ballintubber club website so it obviously focuses more on Ballintubber

TF Royal Hotel & Theatre Junior Championship Section A Sun May 25th

Ballintubber 0-8 1-13 Charlestown

Our Senior teams venture into the Senior Championship for the first time in 7 years ended disappointingly when they were outclassed by a seasoned Charlestown outfit played in spendid looking Clogher on Sunday. The homeside were taking on one of the best club sides in the County and certainly will have learned from the experience which hopefully will stand to them as the Championship progresses . Charlestown opened the scoring after Mayo midfielder Tom Parsons kicked the first point . Alan Dillon equalised for the 'Tubber with a pointed free but the East Mayo side then seemed to take over as they persisted with high balls into the homesides full back line which resulted in numerous frees for the Charlestown attack which were pointed to leave the score 0-5 to 0-1 . The Abbeysiders were getting a lot of possession but scores were hard to get although Damien McGing got on the end of an Alan Dillon pass to kick a point . Another Charlestown attack resulted in midfielder David Tiernan getting on the end of a move but Ballintubber goalkeeper Noel Gibbons made an excellent save shortly before another high ball was kicked into the danger area but this time it ended up in the net . For the next 5 minutes the West Mayo side took the game by the scruff of the neck and 2 Alan Dillon points brought the score to 1-5 to 0-4 in favour of the visitors . Just before the break another pointed free left Charlestown in a favourable position of a scoreline of 1-6 to 0-4 . The awaited comeback from the hosts didn't materialise at the beginning of the second half as the visitors kicked the first 5 points of the second half to leave an insurmountable lead of 1-11 to 0-4 . Ballintubber kept in touch though with points from Michael Hoban, another Alan Dillon free which was added to by Damien McGing . However numerous wides and shots into the Charlestown goalkeeper did not help and on another breakaway attack Charlestown were able to kick a point after playing at pace and directness that the Abbeysiders could not match. Alan Dillon kicked the 'Tubber's last point of the match with a free but it was matched almost immediately with a final point from the visitors to end the game convincingly . Ballintubber will be disappointed in the manner they lost as they matched Charlestown for possession but the experience of last years beaten finalists, who were physically stronger than the homeside also contributed . However in 2 weeks time the Championship resumes where Ballintubber travel to Foxford to take on Moy Davitts in a must-win game that could decide the remainder of the season . Next weekend its back to League action where Islandeady travel to Clogher on Bank holiday Monday with details listed in Fixtures.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

the Deel Rover

Monday, 26 May 2008 
Feeney appointed to full-time GAA post

Mike Finnerty

MAYO'S first ever full-time GAA Secretary was appointed last week as it was confirmed that Sean Feeney had been successful in his application for the position.
The 61-year-old has been Mayo GAA Secretary since 1995 in a part-time role but was one of two candidates interviewed eight days ago for the full-time position which was advertised last month. The other candidate was Mayo GAA PRO, Noelle Horan.
Speaking to The Mayo News last night from Portugal, where he is accompanying the Mayo senior football squad on a training camp, Feeney said: "I'm delighted. It's an honour to be Mayo's first full-time Secretary. I've been doing it on a voluntary basis for nearly thirteen years now and the workload has been increasing dramatically over the years since. It's a full-time job now and whoever comes in after me will be full-time too."
The Ballintubber native will remain in the position until November of 2011 when he turns 65. Under GAA regulations he must then step down from the full-time role. However, he believes that it will be time for a change at that stage anyway.
"I think by the time I'm 65 I will have done my time," he admitted. "I see the development of McHale Park in Castlebar as the main objective in the short-term. That work will be starting in August and will be done within the year. After that I'm sure something else will be on the horizon.
"I firmly believe that most counties will be going down the road of full-time secretaries sooner rather than later. The amount of paperwork, in particular, has increased an awful lot in the last few years and it takes up an incredible amount of time."

MEANWHILE, the final remaining members of the Mayo senior football squad will fly into Portugal today (Tuesday) to link up with the rest of their colleagues.
A number of players were sitting college exams yesterday and so were unable to leave with the main group on Monday morning from Dublin Airport. The only member of Mayo's championship  squad not making the trip is Tom Parsons from Charlestown. He is exam-tied until the end of the week.
The travelling party return home next Sunday and will line out in club league matches on Bank Holiday Monday.

Now theres a shock lads :P they must not have got your cv Ros :D 

Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

An Gaeilgoir

Besides the team and managment i wonder how many suits went for the training session and maybe their wives?....Its good to see the training fund money going to good use!!

RedandGreenSniper

I know they can be inept at times but a good few of the county board do put in serious time during the year, I wouldn't begrudge them an oul holiday now.

I'm not sure what to make of the fact that only two people applied for the role  of full time secretary. Are people not interested or just don't think they had a chance of getting it?
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

muscles magoo

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on May 28, 2008, 07:05:37 AM

I'm not sure what to make of the fact that only two people applied for the role  of full time secretary. Are people not interested or just don't think they had a chance of getting it?

Probably the latter although the report didn't actually specify how many candidates there were in total, only that two made it to interview stage.

AbbeySider

Quote from: Tubberman on May 26, 2008, 04:22:29 PM
I can't give you firsthand details on it I'm afraid. Wasn't at home for weekend - Abbeysider might be able to oblige.
This is taken from the Ballintubber club website so it obviously focuses more on Ballintubber

The only thing I would add guys is that the game was closer that what the scoreboard spelled out.
We had a terrible day in front of the posts kicking 18 wides and 4-5 into the keepers hands.
It just wasnt happening for us on the day, but it will come.
We created more chances than Charlestown but just couldnt convert with all the possession we had.

Farrandeelin

Is the next round of group games due for the 8th of June? Knockmore v Crossmolina will be pick of the round there if it is.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

AbbeySider

Quote from: Farrandeelin on May 28, 2008, 07:26:57 PM
Is the next round of group games due for the 8th of June? Knockmore v Crossmolina will be pick of the round there if it is.

Yes next round of Championship is the weekend of the 8th of June.
The next weekend of championship after that is the 20th of July, so there is a good break in between.
AFAIK rounds of the North, South, East West divisional cups along with league fixtures will be played in between.