Mayo Club Football.

Started by intoDwest, November 10, 2006, 11:34:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stephenite

Quote from: MacDanger on October 01, 2007, 12:12:33 PM

.............only another two and ye'll have as many Moclair cups as the mighty Knockmore!!!!!

Only another 27 and ye'll have as many championships as the mighty Stephenites ;)

Farrandeelin

It would be rather surprising if Ballina weren't in the shake up. After all they provide a lot of players for the Mayo team and are a young enough side wtill so fair play to them. I hope they win the Andy Merrigan Cup now.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Bod Mor on October 01, 2007, 07:38:57 AM
Fair play to Ballina, congratulations Stephenite et al. Hopefully ye'll go on to represent Mayo well in the club championship now. David Brady is fairly rattling in the goals now at full forward!!!

Must have learned a trick or two from marking Donaghy in '06!

mayoman dan

Wynne was v good. Not tall enough for FB for Mayo, but has he ever played in the corner??

I think Wynne should be given a go as mayo fb.I would agree he is not the tallest but i think he is an excellent defender and he is used to playing at fb for his club.Ger Cafferky is being talked up by some to be our next fb and he is not much taller than Wynne.

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: mayoman dan on October 01, 2007, 07:35:43 PM

Wynne was v good. Not tall enough for FB for Mayo, but has he ever played in the corner??

I think Wynne should be given a go as mayo fb.I would agree he is not the tallest but i think he is an excellent defender and he is used to playing at fb for his club.Ger Cafferky is being talked up by some to be our next fb and he is not much taller than Wynne.

Guns has been asked, on more than one occasion to join up with mayo and has turned it down, he isn't prepared to give up the time, and beer, for mayo
A nice fella who is happy enough playing for ballina
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

stephenite

Wynne is one the most natural defenders I've ever seen, a real class act on the pitch. I believe he's been asked a few times to join the County set up and has declined - for some lads life does not start and end with football, and he's dead right not to bother if it's something he doesn't want to do

Davitt Man

Quote from: mayoman dan on October 01, 2007, 07:35:43 PM
Ger Cafferky is being talked up by some to be our next fb and he is not much taller than Wynne.

Why is there so much talk about Ger making the county team when he cant make the ballina team, surely if he is county standard he should make that Ballina team, has he been injured this year?

Is David O'Mahony not a forward as well, i was surprised to see him at 7 on sunday

Farrandeelin

Quote from: stephenite on October 02, 2007, 03:46:55 AM
Wynne is one the most natural defenders I've ever seen, a real class act on the pitch. I believe he's been asked a few times to join the County set up and has declined - for some lads life does not start and end with football, and he's dead right not to bother if it's something he doesn't want to do

Totally agree with the last sentence there Stephenite. All players get is abuse from fans etc and I'm not absolving myself from this either. It's his own life at the end of the day and its up to him how he wants to use it.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

stephenite

Davitt Man

Did anyone see Ginger doing a vinny jones on mcgarrity in the 2nd half, poor taste

the Deel Rover

ginger does play the game on the edge he was lucky not to see the line on suday I thought. Congrats to Ballina I'm just pissed off that i didn't back them at 5's a few weeks ago i said it here i thought they were great odds. By the way stephenite i was reading today that crossmaglen are gunning for your record of 13 consecutive county titles to tell you the truth i didn't realise ye held that record
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

MacDanger

For me, Ballina will have to improve a lot if they're to get out of Connacht. Thought they were under pressure for a lot of Sundays game and a lot of "big names" played poorly for them - L Brady, Casey, Devenney, Ruane, Leonard.

Having scored 5 goals in 2 games is all well and good but a points tally of 6 from a county final doesn't exactly bode well for the forward line. Hughes looked lively throughout but other than himself and GB, there was nobody who looked capable of scoring a few points.

McGarrity was poor enough in the first half but improved a lot and was very influential in the last 20 minutes or so. I was surprised they didn't bring DB out to midfield in the first half when they were struggling, not much point in having him in on the square if they're not winning any ball to put in to him.

Charlestown had no "star" performers, more of  a solid team throughout, again though they lack a top quality forward. Tony Mulligan had been touted as possible county standard but based on last Sunday and the first day against Knockmore, I wouldn't really rate him. Haran scored a great point in the first half but wasn't an influential as he needed to be for them to win it.

I'd expect Ballina's backs and midfield to imrpove but if they're to go down it will be through lack of cutting edge up front.

Is the format of the Connacht club championship the same as the county championship?? i.e. Mayo v Galway; Sligo v Roscommon etc??

Tubberman

QuoteBallintubber by a piont.... thought we deserved it, Any thoughs?

Yeah, I thought Ballintubber were definitely the better team, but made hard work of winning the match!
I was sure Vincent Neary was going to blow the full-time whistle after Malee equalised for Kiltimagh.
I thought he gave a lot of soft frees actually, but maybe that's my club bias.

It didn't look too good when Tom Earley had to go off injured, but they kept playing the the very end and got their reward. Liam Tunney would have been man of the match for me - he had a fanstastic second half.

In the senior match, Ballina scored 3 goals in less than 10 minutes and that's what won the match for them. I thought Charlestown looked a better balanced team, but as has been said, they had no real class forward. They started trying to work a goal at the end and it nearly came off for them. But if they had actually taken their points, they may well have drawn or even won the match.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

AbbeySider

Quote from: Tubberman on October 02, 2007, 01:52:02 PM
QuoteBallintubber by a piont.... thought we deserved it, Any thoughs?

Yeah, I thought Ballintubber were definitely the better team, but made hard work of winning the match!
I was sure Vincent Neary was going to blow the full-time whistle after Malee equalised for Kiltimagh.
I thought he gave a lot of soft frees actually, but maybe that's my club bias.

It didn't look too good when Tom Earley had to go off injured, but they kept playing the the very end and got their reward. Liam Tunney would have been man of the match for me - he had a fanstastic second half.

Agreed, Ballintubber looked the better team. I thought we should have won by more. We had a lot kicked into the keepers hands. I think Kiltimagh only got one score from play, that was in the first few minutes. After that the ref gave them very soft frees which I was surprised at. I know that the Ballintubber backs were well aware that Kiltimagh get most of their scores from frees so they were extra careful and did their best to be fair and clinical when tackling but the ref didnt see it that way.

Apart from that I thought Hoban had a great game. He won vital possession around the middle when it counted. All the backs worked brilliant as a unit. Dillion was inspirational. He kicked two points over that bar from the sideline. I think his total was 6 points. Unreal stuff. O Connor got another great score from way out from the ground. He was well outside the 50 striking a dead ball which was very wet.

It was a good game considering the conditions was quite bad. Thrilling finish.
Kiltimagh had us on the ropes in the dying minutes and they got two points to equalise.
I was delighted for Kevin McGuiness to come on and get the last point considering he lost his place on the team not so long ago. Some celebrations after the match  ;D

mannix

Ballina looked ok in patches, charlestown were better balanced but ballina were saved by david brady.Neither had a player that stood out,brady excepted.If this is our best club football we will not have to worry about sam maguire in the near future,no player stood out in my mind.