Mayo Club Football.

Started by intoDwest, November 10, 2006, 11:34:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OkeyDoke

Quote from: StoneWall on November 30, 2006, 08:46:44 AM
The following are the proposals for the New League Structure
    1 Teams who hold senior championship status will play in the senior  League
    2 Teams who hold Intermediate Championship status will play in Intermediate league
    3 All other teams will play in Junior League
    4 10th March WEEK END set aside for Gaeltacht Tournament
    5 Leagues begin on 17/18 March
    6 There will be no relegation from league-championship will decide if you are senior /inter/or junior
    7 Some Games will have to be played without county players when the county team is on duty
    8 The league to be completed by second week in October at latest
    9 The prize money will be s folows-6000 for div 1 4000 for div 2 and 2000 for Junior Div. The money to go to players holiday fund.   
    10 The entry  fee will be 100 euro per team

I hope the clubs get to vote on this!

Keery first leage game at home.

All seem reasonable enough apart from item 6 - makes a joke of the league

Mayo4Sam

I'd actually agree, though am thankful at the moment, that the league should determine ur championship status.
It makes a team make the effort for the year.
Eventhough it does effect the teams with more county players, but in the longer term they get to blood a lot more new/fringe players
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

venter

How do you get out of a particular division. Do they revise them every couple of years or so?

StoneWall

Quote from: venter on November 30, 2006, 10:18:42 AM
How do you get out of a particular division. Do they revise them every couple of years or so?

Not sure or do you get promoted/relegated in the league if you win the championship?

Farrandeelin

I think the new proposals are ridiculous. I also think the current set-up is wrong too and league should have the say on whether or not a team is senior/Intermediate and Junior. It seems once the county board or whoever is in charge of the fixtures start to fiddle with the leagues they don't know when to stop!
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

MacDanger

Wasn't the old system that if you were div 1, you were senior, div 2 intermediate etc and if you got relegated from the league you dropped down to intermediate. It was a good system in that while the championship was still the most important, you had to do well in the league to stay in it.

AbbeySider

Quote from: OkeyDoke on November 30, 2006, 10:01:03 AM

3 All other teams will play in Junior League

I have a few questions about the proposed changes because they are a little unclear.

If a junior club is playing Junior A does that mean they are will be playing division 3 league?

Does a junior B side play division 4

and junior C play division 5 etc etc?

An Gaeilgoir

Good wishes to Tuar Mhic Eadaigh in the Connaght Final in Ballinamore Co. Leitrim on Sunday next at 14.00....Weather permitting,it doesn't look to go at the moment for Sunday...still an excuse for me to head west!

An Gaeilgoir

Well what can i say except well done to Tuar Mhic Eadaigh on winning the connaght intermediate final to day in terrible conditions in Ballinamore Co. Leitrim. the final score was 0-7 to 1-3.. a great day for all concerned... ;D

stephenite

Congratualtions indeed, great to see a Mayo club represented in Intermediate. Well done to all concerned and best of luck for the All Ireland, who do they play next ??

criostlinn

Hopefully killala can repeat the success in the junior decider on saturday next

Mayo4Sam

They play english champions fulham in the AI 1/4
Fulham are a new club only formed this year and having seen them play this year they'll not be much of an opposition. Having said that the club contains jonthan ruane & des kenny from castleconnor and derek sheridan from the stephenites
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

ludermor

Leagues set for radical revamp

EDWIN MCGREAL

FOLLOWING weeks of speculation, the Mayo GAA Leagues are set to be restructured tonight (Wednesday), meaning that clubs' league status will be entirely dependent on championship results. Under the proposals, promotion and relegation would only happen as a result of championship performance, which is sure to spark debate across the county, while €6,000 will be on offer to the winners of the Senior League.
Under the proposals next year's Senior League would be made up of teams that have senior championship status after the 2006 season with intermediate and junior following suit. It is also proposed that the club season would run from mid-March to mid-October in 2007.
"The fact that Division 1 teams will be all the senior teams means that we will be able to alternate championship and league rounds," Mayo GAA Board Secretary Sean Feeney told The Mayo News, who said it was "a matter for the clubs" whether or not the proposals get the green light. "For instance if we have Senior championship one weekend, we can play Division 2 games that weekend and so on. The downside is that there is no relegation from the league itself. There is no real way to avoid some meaningless games but we had some of them this year too. We'd hope to play as many games as possible before the championship."
Feeney said that some remaining league games "probably won't be played" if the changes come in, though the title deciders in the top two divisions (Shrule/Glencorrib v Crossmolina and Ballaghaderreen v Tourmakeady) will go ahead.
"We didn't expect the league to run so late this year," said Feeney. "The U21 success took a couple of Sundays, we got to the All-Ireland final, we had a drawn game (Laois) and everything fell behind."
The proposals have proven especially controversial in Belmullet, who would find themselves playing in the Intermediate League despite retaining their Division 1 status.
"I'm fierce disappointed," Belmullet dual star Paddy Barrett told The Mayo News. "The least we could have got was a year's notice in order to try to work around it. If we had known at the start of this year that these proposals were going to come in we would have put more emphasis on the championship.
"With the new structures I don't know what value at all the league has. We could conceivably finish bottom of Division 2, win the Intermediate Championship and be promoted to Division 1. I don't see how the league can be run when there will be no value attached to it at all."
Barrett is a Garda working in Monaghan town. Some weekends he works 10pm-6am on Saturday night, drives 150 miles to Belmullet, grabs two hours sleep, plays a match and then heads back north-east for another night shift on Sunday. The proposed change has left him pondering his future.
"To be going to that effort and find out that it is absolutely no use is very frustrating," he said. "We had worked hard to get to Division 1 and we wanted to stay there, we put in a big effort but it was a complete waste of time. For next year I'll have to have a serious think about things. It will be very hard to get back to Senior League again, there's time left in us all but it's by no means certain it will happen next year. Most of our lads are based away from home. It's hard to get excited about coming back for Division 2."
As a Senior championship outfit, Breaffy stand to retain their Senior League status despite residing in the bottom two of Division 1. Outgoing Breaffy manager John Fahey agrees that the proposals suit his club but believes that "they lack competition – what you will have essentially is 15 glorified challenge games". He added that matches over the last few weeks "have really cost time for everyone involved and for it to be pointless in the end makes no sense".

MEANWHILE, the long-awaited Breaffy House Resort Mayo Senior Football Championship relegation play-off between Louisburgh and Kiltimagh takes place in Islandeady on Sunday at 12pm.

League Proposals

• Championship status decides league grade
• Senior championship teams play in the Senior League
• Intermediate championship teams play in the Intermediate League
• Junior championship teams play in Junior League which will be  divided into two sections i.e regional basis
• There will be no relegation from the league
• League to commence on weekend of March 17/18/19
• County players may not be available for some league games
• Senior winners to get €6,000 for player holiday fund
• Intermediate winners to get €4,000 for player holiday fund
• Junior winners to get €2,000 for player holiday fund
• Entry fee €100 per team
• Format for one year only

StoneWall

Were the proposals for the new league structure voted on at the county board meeting last night? Anyone know if they were accepted?

Farrandeelin

Lads, am I the only one to notice a bit of a snag in the proposals. There are 17 senior teams and it would mean an uneven number of weekends, that mightn't seem too much of a bother but it's still annoying when the championship group A was running late this year so the league will more than likely run late next year too. That's if the proposals go ahead.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.