Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

getevennotcross

Quote from: Dunloy realist on August 04, 2015, 02:15:54 PM
whoever gets it needs to sit down all the players and get this bitterness and bitching sorted out. I have to be honest here but this continious crap between Lgiel and Cdall has to come to an end or the county team will never go forward.

I dont care who started it or said what or has done what the truth of the matter is that all of that is killing the team. Its not the clubs fault directly, rather its individuals actions that are the problem here. It needs nipped in the bud asap.

Now im neither anti cdall or lgiel, or blame one or the other and  i have a respect for both clubs/players/supporters but until that nonsense is sorted nothing or no one will be able to move us forward while its there simmering away.

Whoever gets the job has to have a long term plan in terms of youth development and keeping an eye on their progress esp the minors. We cannot afford to lose good players and we have plenty of them in that minor team in Keelan Molly, James Mcnaughton, Christy McNaughton etc etc.
Good for you DR, IMO  - a man of substance, vision and integrity, I couldn't agree with you more.  God only knows what our young men, future potential county players must be thinking?.   All of us as current custodians of the game, we certainly are not encouraging them or giving them aspiration to represent their county.

getevennotcross

Quote from: shoebox on August 04, 2015, 02:50:14 PM
Quote from: getevennotcross on August 04, 2015, 01:47:03 PM
Quote from: shoebox on August 04, 2015, 12:54:10 PM
I see the Intermediate Championship kicks off this weekend.

You'd have to expect Gort na mona to dispose of St Enda's but I think that one will be closer than what people think.

Carey v Tir na nog is another one I'd expect to be a lot closer and will even throw it out there that Tir na nog might cause a shock.

Glenravel and Armoy I can't see being close and Armoy should advance there.

Glenariffe and Cloughmills is the pick of the round though and should be a good game that could go either way. Ossians should win though.
Stay with the thread man, we are talking about our new county manager here for goodness sake, we really cant afford to be caught up on insignificance of the Intermediate championship just now.

With so many disparate views on who should be the next manager, one thing for sure, whoever is appointed will not be to the liking or satisfaction on this discussion boards contributors.  Another thing also is the need for a committed buy in from our best players, regardless of their past, their reputations or which club they represent.  Without a 100% commitment from the players, we are going nowhere!

Certainly we have all had are snipes and voiced our displeasure at the though of the appointment of key individuals, some of the names suggested I would not have about the place.  The predicament we are in now has been a perpetual cycle, its nothing new to us and are hurling woes (even football for that matter) are not going to end even in the short term by securing a big named messiah alone.  Our problem in Antrim hurling needs a strategic, long term, realistic and achievable framework.  Too many development plans in the past have continuously failed to be resourced, implemented, evaluated.  Time to stop kidding ourselves, start being honest and get serious.  No matter who would grasp such a poison chalice presently, they are doomed to failure unless radical change and major buy in takes place.

The amount of time you spend on here talking bol.locks especially for someone trying (poorly) to be a WUM really is pathetic.
Chillax man, cool your jets.  well at least my posting got a response (in fact, a few more than yours!)  A WUM, maybe you would care to enlighten me?  I am not familiar with this acronym, not sure it even is one!  You're right though, I must get some work done.  I would assume it is derogatory though, given you hadn't the temerity to divulge in full.

Na Glinntí Glasa

Quote from: shoebox on August 04, 2015, 03:07:16 PM
To add my own tuppence worth to the county management position. There are lots of people outside the county who I'd say would be willing to take it. Not so many in Antrim but still a few.

The very fact that the main points being made are about uniting the clubs and man management are testiment to the fact that in most of our opinions, the talent exists within Antrim to 'achieve'.

Every Antrim hurling person worth their salt would be in agreement that we need our best players playing and that our clubs need to unite and ditch the negativity. The big question regardless of who takes the team next year is whether or not players, clubs and wider hurling characters are mature enough to make peace, kiss and make up.  The signs are that that is not the case. If all parties go at the issue wanting to be right and prove the other side wrong then that is a recipe for failure. (This site is largely acting as a micro case study of Antrim hurling).

We'll have to accept that there were differences of opinion and give the marriage another go. If that were to be the case, part of the terms of reference of any agreement to be laid down by a new manager would have to be a kind of social media/wider media ban. It is not a time for getting one over the other or washing out dirty linen in public.

Then if course there is the coaching, conditioning, administration and commitment aspects of Antrim hurling.

Will the new guy get what it takes to develop like a lot of counties? Gear? Training camps? The best facilities? Coaches? Nutritionists? Massage therapists? A proper kit/stick/equipment guy? This involves money!

On a side point, if I were to take that team I would insist on Jim Murray, Joe Edwards, Frankie Quinn and the rest of the entourage never being on the line with the management. It smacks of cronyism and is embarrassing.

This the county board that thought charging U16's into a championship match was a good idea. It shows how detached from reality they actually are.

How in under god could they be responsible for picking a good hurling manager?

Everything you mention about Nutritionists etc are all good valid points but bear in mind when picking a football manger they had a candidate that had a 5 year plan and way forward and they rejected it!!

they have no idea and no vision. Christ they cant even finish Dunsilly yet apparently they selected a successful tenderer to work at it a while back but work still hasnt started!
hurl like f**k boi!

getevennotcross

Quote from: shoebox on August 04, 2015, 03:07:16 PM
To add my own tuppence worth to the county management position. There are lots of people outside the county who I'd say would be willing to take it. Not so many in Antrim but still a few.

The very fact that the main points being made are about uniting the clubs and man management are testiment to the fact that in most of our opinions, the talent exists within Antrim to 'achieve'.

Every Antrim hurling person worth their salt would be in agreement that we need our best players playing and that our clubs need to unite and ditch the negativity. The big question regardless of who takes the team next year is whether or not players, clubs and wider hurling characters are mature enough to make peace, kiss and make up.  The signs are that that is not the case. If all parties go at the issue wanting to be right and prove the other side wrong then that is a recipe for failure. (This site is largely acting as a micro case study of Antrim hurling).

We'll have to accept that there were differences of opinion and give the marriage another go. If that were to be the case, part of the terms of reference of any agreement to be laid down by a new manager would have to be a kind of social media/wider media ban. It is not a time for getting one over the other or washing out dirty linen in public.

Then if course there is the coaching, conditioning, administration and commitment aspects of Antrim hurling. As if we didn't already know that!

Will the new guy get what it takes to develop like a lot of counties? Gear? Training camps? The best facilities? Coaches? Nutritionists? Massage therapists? A proper kit/stick/equipment guy? This involves money! Are you paying your way and your monthly tenner?

On a side point, if I were to take that team I would insist on Jim Murray, Joe Edwards, Frankie Quinn and the rest of the entourage never being on the line with the management. It smacks of cronyism and is embarrassing.  Quite slanderous to say the least!  Understandable for a keyboard warrior though.
And here we have it folks - The New Evangelist.  WOW WEE, I'm really inspired now, where do I sign? I'll have to start paying my tenner again to Club Antrim.  Shoebox has us all sorted now bois, Antrim for Liam in 2 years.  (effin eedgit!)  He he, bloody marvellous.

Minder

Quote from: johnneycool on August 04, 2015, 10:32:01 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 04, 2015, 10:24:19 AM
its all about the package for me, a great coach who can vary it but ensure that the drills are in line with the style of play that Antrim need to be playing, a strength and conditioning coach who can assess the needs of every player individually and be able to monitor the progress of each player (every player has different needs and abilities physically) even the stick and gear man has an important job and needs to carry it out professionally, you only need to see the fiasco's the footballers have had in the past... all of these people make the job of managing the senior team a lot easier.. he can worry about tactics, game plans, man management of team, dealing with the media..

Its hard enough being a manager never mind doing all the other crap.... Thankless task as the snipers are never too far away

Has Wee Joe vacated that role as well?

Frankies son has been doing that for the last few years, funny enough
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Minder on August 04, 2015, 07:19:33 PM
Quote from: johnneycool on August 04, 2015, 10:32:01 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 04, 2015, 10:24:19 AM
its all about the package for me, a great coach who can vary it but ensure that the drills are in line with the style of play that Antrim need to be playing, a strength and conditioning coach who can assess the needs of every player individually and be able to monitor the progress of each player (every player has different needs and abilities physically) even the stick and gear man has an important job and needs to carry it out professionally, you only need to see the fiasco's the footballers have had in the past... all of these people make the job of managing the senior team a lot easier.. he can worry about tactics, game plans, man management of team, dealing with the media..

Its hard enough being a manager never mind doing all the other crap.... Thankless task as the snipers are never too far away

Has Wee Joe vacated that role as well?

Frankies son has been doing that for the last few years, funny enough

Jackie from my club did it for a right few years also.. Its a tough enough job.... Its not just ensuring the sticks are laid out on the pitch... Read something a while back on the Cork stick/gear man... Fecking full time job
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

hurlingstick

Loughiel looked really sharp tonight. Ballycastle are too big and too slow. Can't believe a club with their resources have constantly failed to deliver and will do so again this year. Could some of the Town boys on here offer their opinion? Why is it that such a big club that focus on one code (I know they've a senior football team) can't produce a winning side?

wino

Quote from: hurlingstick on August 04, 2015, 09:44:59 PM
Loughiel looked really sharp tonight. Ballycastle are too big and too slow. Can't believe a club with their resources have constantly failed to deliver and will do so again this year. Could some of the Town boys on here offer their opinion? Why is it that such a big club that focus on one code (I know they've a senior football team) can't produce a winning side?

Any teams

hurlingstick

Loughiel had Winker, Neily, Martin scull, and a certain Benny McCarry watching from the side. Ballycastle missing Clarkie and. Stoogie. Shamrocks had Odhran playing half forward but apart from that looked as expected. The town had McAloonan playing 11, started Tt Butler and Cossy playing corner back. That asside looked as expected. Matty Donnelly marking Eddie was arguably the strangest pairing of the night.

Milltown Row2

Careful now... Very sensitive
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Leyland

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 04, 2015, 10:42:51 PM

Only sensitive when a ref who gets some of our championship matches makes comments on here about us.
Tonight's performance was as I expected. We are playing serious catch up in terms of fitness and hurling after the early season shambles. Big Ronan trying to cram a lot in at the minute. The two early goals killed us. We were chasing after that. We have 4 weeks now to try and get the hurling sharpened up with our fitness before we play Rossa. Clarkie & Stoogie back soon.

As for the big slow men - they are certainly that - although hopefully our forward line which will include Clarke, saul, stoogie, Young TT will make up for that.
We live in hope.

hurlingstick

Quote from: Leyland link=topic=1347.msg1497685#msg1497685 date=1soon 438725056

Only sensitive when a ref who gets some of our championship matches makes comments on here about us.
Tonight's performance was as I expected. We are playing serious catch up in terms of fitness and hurling after the early season shambles. Big Ronan trying to cram a lot in at the minute. The two early goals killed us. We were chasing after that. We have 4 weeks now to try and get the hurling sharpened up with our fitness before we play Rossa. Clarkie & Stoogie back soon.

As for the big slow men - they are certainly that - although hopefully our forward line which will include Clarke, saul, stoogie, Young TT will make up for that.
We live in hope.

TT is a talented boy. This year is too soon for him though. He struggled tonight physically and took a heavy knock which effectively ended his night. Definitely one to watch. Saul is a class player. All those pumped up boys should take note. The big muscles only slow you down on a hurling field.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Leyland on August 04, 2015, 10:50:56 PM

We live in hope.

Meaning?? As you've never actually explained? I referee the game not the club... Step up and try it, or shut up

Hurler24

Two early goals killed us. The big and slow players you reference, in my book are our 3 "americans" who arrived home at the weekend and have serious catching up to do going by tonight. With the other 2 "americans" coming home I think we will be ok. We hit 15pnts and only the sloppy early goals put gloss on the scoreline.

Serious question for the loughgiel contingent.......would you start Neily ahead of Tony McCloskey in full back?

Sleeping giant

Quote from: Hurler24 on August 04, 2015, 11:38:56 PM
Two early goals killed us. The big and slow players you reference, in my book are our 3 "americans" who arrived home at the weekend and have serious catching up to do going by tonight. With the other 2 "americans" coming home I think we will be ok. We hit 15pnts and only the sloppy early goals put gloss on the scoreline.

Serious question for the loughgiel contingent.......would you start Neily ahead of Tony McCloskey in full back?
yes. For one more year.  Rate tony very highly tho.  He'll play for sure.  But think nelly has a another year no problem.
1983 & 2012 All Ireland Champions.