Soccer in GAA grounds ?

Started by Junior B, October 03, 2018, 12:13:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BarryBreensBandage

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on October 04, 2018, 10:25:27 AM
Quote from: Junior B on October 03, 2018, 12:13:05 PM
We recently acquired extra land to develop our facilities over the coming years. On the strenght of a pro active committee and club lotto we were able to pay for this land up front. We have drawings complete and ready to go to tender in the coming weeks  to install a full sized additional pitch with a walking track which will be of great benefit to all within our community.

The local National School is located beside the GAA grounds and has daily and unlimited use of the grounds (as it should). The school had a large fundraiser a number of months ago and is now applying for a grant also. The intention is to do a joint application with the GAA club and if we are lucky put in a wall ball with a astro area which will benefit all. School kids, club etc...

A major stumbling block at the moment is the request from two local soccer clubs to use the facility for training purposes for x amount of hours per week and i presume to hold organised juvenile soccer games.

There is a couple of things to bear in mind. This is not a community field. The facility will be within GAA grounds. The land is owned by the GAA. Soccer is changing to run its competitions in line with GAA calander.

Just so I'm clear in my understanding:

(1) The additional pitch, astro area, walking track (wholly club funded)
are separate from
(2) The ball wall and another astro area (the application with the school)
?
But the land for both developments are wholly owned by the club?

If you don't need the money, my initial inclination would be to tell the soccer bunch to fk off - it keeps it simple, clear and would reduce/stop drain of players away to soccer.

But if you did need the income, then setting up a non-profit holding company (whose directors are the club committee) which has a long term lease on the land for development 2 and pays the club rent would probably allow you to rent the ground out to whomever without stepping on HQ's toes. (But I'm not a lawyer.)

This is exactly right. Another way to approach this, especially when applying for government grants who have no interest in giving money to the GAA solely, is to develop an official community group. Chairperson,committee, meetings, and official entity.

To gain maximum exposure to grant aid, set up that the GAA club lease said land to the community group for an agreed number of years. This then allows the use of Gaelic grounds for other sports and allows the club to benefit from grants and rental income. All to the betterment of the community.

Hope this is of some help.
"Some people say I am indecisive..... maybe I am, maybe I'm not".

Junior B

Many thanks for the replies. It really is a minefield. To be clear and more to the point, when we go to commence works on our new full sized playing pitch and walking track we will be doing so loan free and as mentioned have 110k to hand to fun the cost of the next stage of the project which will come in around 160k (club lotto over the year will more or less pay for it so we will be in a very healthy position. The club all along were hoping to go down the route of a ball wall with a Astro area off it for drills etc. Aside from that a new club house and parking area over the following years would be what we have in mind.

An Astro committee was set up by other members of the community years ago to raise funds to put in a Astro some where in the community. They have raised funds over the years and held other fundraisers without no home for this Astro. Sites here and there did not work out. Hence there joint approach to the Gaa club. Naturally there is a lot who feel our hand is forced as the words 'kids, community and what harm have been bandied about at several meetings now.

What is being proposed is that the school and gaa club apply for the extra funding together. The land is in the gaa club grounds is their grounds and situated alongside the local school. Basically Get it done and allow the  soccer club  use it for x hours for training.

It has been a draining process so far. Soccer moving to summer hours is a big one for me. A small number of players could be lost to Gaa. Soccer going on in Gaa grounds while Gaa games are taking place and soccer training being put on before or after juvenile training which might leave the window open to allow some kids just go to one. We are being told that they will have insurance in place, but is this enough?

Any clubs currently doing this.

thebackbar1

It feels like you have to go down the route of leasing the land for the astro to a community group otherwise you run the risk of taking the money raised for the astro and at a future date not be able to honour your commitment to let soccer use it.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Junior B on October 04, 2018, 03:25:29 PM
Many thanks for the replies. It really is a minefield. To be clear and more to the point, when we go to commence works on our new full sized playing pitch and walking track we will be doing so loan free and as mentioned have 110k to hand to fun the cost of the next stage of the project which will come in around 160k (club lotto over the year will more or less pay for it so we will be in a very healthy position. The club all along were hoping to go down the route of a ball wall with a Astro area off it for drills etc. Aside from that a new club house and parking area over the following years would be what we have in mind.

An Astro committee was set up by other members of the community years ago to raise funds to put in a Astro some where in the community. They have raised funds over the years and held other fundraisers without no home for this Astro. Sites here and there did not work out. Hence there joint approach to the Gaa club. Naturally there is a lot who feel our hand is forced as the words 'kids, community and what harm have been bandied about at several meetings now.

What is being proposed is that the school and gaa club apply for the extra funding together. The land is in the gaa club grounds is their grounds and situated alongside the local school. Basically Get it done and allow the  soccer club  use it for x hours for training.

It has been a draining process so far. Soccer moving to summer hours is a big one for me. A small number of players could be lost to Gaa. Soccer going on in Gaa grounds while Gaa games are taking place and soccer training being put on before or after juvenile training which might leave the window open to allow some kids just go to one. We are being told that they will have insurance in place, but is this enough?

Any clubs currently doing this.

Hold up. Regardless of where they train, they train. If anything training wont overlap if you rent to them.

The above is less clear. Is the pitch going on gaa or school land?

Junior B

The proposed Astro area will be going on Gaa ground within the club grounds(about 30 yards from the school gate). Club only every intended putting in a ball wall with an Astro area off the wall etc. school and Astro committee have about 50k. Proposing school and Gaa jointly apply for grant to fund a bigger one but only on the condition that local soccer team uses it.

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: Junior B on October 04, 2018, 08:57:35 PMProposing school and Gaa jointly apply for grant to fund a bigger one but only on the condition that local soccer team uses it.

?

Condition of who? The grant authority?
i usse an speelchekor

Junior B

School and this Astro committee have x amount. They are offering us the opportunity to apply for a grant jointly (school and Gaa) to use they funds along with grant money if lucky to put in wall ball and Astro return area which we would have hoped to do anyway. Before the application is processed agreement has to be reached on letting soccer club use it for training. (If not they will look at alternatives) Gaa club within the community will look bad etc. What might start as an hour or two per week could lead to free reign if there is a change of officers etc in future years.

thebackbar1

You need to explain to the local community that this is not a decision it can make, its croke Park that is dictating who can use the facility. I presume the local club is against the idea of renting the land to a community group that would develop the facilities?

Itchy

Lad, I think you are in a load of dodgy territory here. Firstly if you are talking sports capital grant I dont think you can apply as a joint group. The people who own the land or have a long term lease on the property may only apply. Second as already pointed out, one call from anyone to croke park and your club will be in bother for breaking GAA rules. If I were you I would consider the following...

- Set up a community group, with rules that say a GAA, Soccer and whoever must be on board
- Sell land or long term lease land, owned by the GAA, to the community group
- Community group apply for a grant - GAA club can donate money if they want to this.
- Build your astro facility, everyone who uses it pays rent to the community group. Community obviously is just there to cover costs.

Everyone is happy this way.

I think if you go ahead the way you are thinking you will end up knee deep in some serious shit down the line

five points

Quote from: Itchy on October 05, 2018, 01:37:35 PM

Won't work. Any land sale by a club requires County Board and Croke Park approval, in writing.  Otherwise there'd be all sorts of skulduggery going on to enrich individuals.

Itchy

five points

Quote from: Itchy on October 05, 2018, 03:04:13 PM
Long term lease then?
Dunno, but I'd guess they've that covered too as you can do the divil and all with 999 year leases and the likes.

thebackbar1

Quote from: five points on October 05, 2018, 02:15:22 PM
Quote from: Itchy on October 05, 2018, 01:37:35 PM

Won't work. Any land sale by a club requires County Board and Croke Park approval, in writing.  Otherwise there'd be all sorts of skulduggery going on to enrich individuals.
If the club haven't adopted the gaa constitution this may not be the case.

Junior B

Have explored this a good bit and as expected am struggling to find a Gaa club that are allowing a local soccer club use there grounds (Astro) to train, play and promote they sport. Meeting on this again tomorrow night. If anybody know any different please let me know here. Thanks for all the replies to date.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Junior B on October 08, 2018, 02:58:28 PM
Have explored this a good bit and as expected am struggling to find a Gaa club that are allowing a local soccer club use there grounds (Astro) to train, play and promote they sport. Meeting on this again tomorrow night. If anybody know any different please let me know here. Thanks for all the replies to date.
Of course you are, the rules forbid it. It happens, but happens on the down low.