Westminster Election 12th December 2019

Started by Ambrose, October 29, 2019, 02:24:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyHarp

I don't think the whole BBC is biased, but I think certain reporters have let themselves down a little during this campaign. Laura Kuenssberg is generally a decent enough political journalist but she either has a clear Tory bias in this election or in an attempt to maintain close "sources" within the future (Tory) Government she is happy to pass on the spin that comes from Tory HQ. Either way it's not a good look for a BBC journalist.
That was never a square ball!!

smelmoth

It's the failure to expose lies that needs to be challenged. It's so much wider than BBC and individual reporters but stuff like this doesn't help the BBC

https://evolvepolitics.com/bbc-chiefs-say-its-wrong-to-expose-boris-johnsons-lies-because-it-undermines-trust-in-democracy/

Franko

Quote from: gallsman on December 10, 2019, 11:05:16 PM
Ah, I see you're doing the thing where you put words in my mouth. Given the topic, how wonderfully ironic.

Political journalism appears to have been dragged down because the politics it has to cover is at an all time low, on both sides of the aisle.

Do people really, genuinely believe that the BBC and ITV political editors are simply shills for the Tories? Peston, Kuenssberg and Maitlis practically ridicule Johnson at times. BBC devotes an half an hour every Friday night with HIGNFY so Hislop and Merton can ridicule Johnson, and May before him, and Cameron before her. Jonny Mercer was on it about six months ago and sat there being dragged from pillar to post for 30 nearly the entire episode.

They, along with others, were fed a particular mistruth which they then shared with us via the majesty of Twitter. You're right that Peston didn't qualify it, which he absolutely should have. The others that I've seen certainly did. They all then immediately apologised and clarified that it absolutely hadn't happened. If people want their news wired directly into their brain via Twitter in a smartphone then this is the sort of thing that will happen from time to time.

The hysteria surrounding it is absolutely nonsense. There was a claim, it was shared perhaps a tad eagerly and embarrassingly and subsequently debunked. Demanding they reveal their sources etc is crazy. We're not talking state secrets and national security here

Not putting words into your mouth at all.  I've double checked my story.  I know it's not print media, but I was able to do that.  Took me less than a minute.

You said this today.

Going back to your example of the weather, if it's raining outside, her job isn't to tell you it's raining outside. Her job is to tell you that there's a clampet who claims it isn't.

If you want to retract that statement, well, that's obviously your choice.  But at the minute that is your clearly stated position.

Kuenssberg's qualification is highly debatable.  The latest in a long line of 'mistakes' by the BBC news team, all of which have been to the benefit of team BoJo.  Peston didn't qualify it at all.  Like a breathless child with a head full of tall tales, he picked up the phone and told a million people a total lie.  Do I believe these people are shills for the Tories?  Absolutely.  Do I believe they should reveal their sources?  It's up to them.  I do know that if someone had made an utter fool out of me in that fashion, I would be in no mood to protect them.  Also, what happens on HIGNFY is irrelevant to this.  Gary Lineker criticises the Tories regularly.  He's still on MOTD.  I don't see what either has to do with the News team?

Humour me here.  Do you think either would have retracted or changed their position even slightly had a video of the event not emerged irrefutably skewering their scoop?  Can you not see how irresponsible (at best) this is?  We are not talking about local hacks here, these two are supposedly the top political journalists in the country.  And you are defending them because apparently people demand the news immediately?  I've yet to hear anyone saying that they'll accept a lie if they get it quick?  Total nonsense.

And yes, the hysteria is too much.  Not sure you are in any position to criticise anyone who gets a little hysterical though.  Your posts are an angry mess at times.  Reminds me of that guy stew who used to post here years ago.

Franko

Quote from: gallsman on December 10, 2019, 11:09:12 PM
And just to be clear, Emily Maitlis is an absolutely exceptional journalist.

People running about calling people "vile" because they don't cheerlead in precisely the way they want them to is indicative of the direction society is heading. "Disagree with me? Well, f**k you Nazi/Commie pig."

The lack of self awareness here is astounding.

And just to be clear, I didn't call anyone 'vile'.  I assume that (despite the 'and' tagging this to your post replying to me) you are responding to someone else here.

Dire Ear

Jell 0 Biafra

Clearly stated article making the case that the BBC "mistakes" are evidence of bias (Franko's already made this case quite succinctly, but here's a more detailed account).

https://www.jacobinmag.com/2019/12/bbc-media-bias-boris-johnson-uk

seafoid

Quote from: gallsman on December 10, 2019, 11:12:38 PM
Final YouGov poll gives the Tories a majority of 28, which is within the margin of error.

Tory 339
Labour 231
SNP 41
Lib Dem 15

Polling comes with 2 health warnings

1. Polling error
2. Tactical voting
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

yellowcard

Some belated gains for Labour in the latest poll which indicate a possibility of a hung parliament. Projected Tory majority down from 68 to 28 and with so many marginal seats and no provision for tactical voting, it is too tight to call the result.

bennydorano

That MRP Seat predictor didn't even mention the 18 NI seats. I know we're an irrelevance and irritant but I wonder were we even factored in.

yellowcard

The nightmare scenario for everyone here would be the DUP holding the balance of power again with their 9/10 seats and this is a possibility. Arlene Foster when interviewed yesterday seemed to think that it was a possibility and reading between the lines they would jump back in with the Tories again if the numbers fell their way.

trailer

Quote from: yellowcard on December 11, 2019, 08:13:57 AM
The nightmare scenario for everyone here would be the DUP holding the balance of power again with their 9/10 seats and this is a possibility. Arlene Foster when interviewed yesterday seemed to think that it was a possibility and reading between the lines they would jump back in with the Tories again if the numbers fell their way.

Well she is going to say that in order to cling to as many votes as possible. But it certainly isn't beyond the realms of possibilities.

imtommygunn

Quote from: seafoid on December 11, 2019, 05:00:21 AM
Final YouGov poll gives the Tories a majority of 28, which is within the margin of error.

Tory 339
Labour 231
SNP 41
Lib Dem 15

1. Polling error
2. Tactical voting

The tories are getting back in. It's going to happen SF. I don't want it, you dont want it but we didn't want brexit either.

Franko

Quote from: imtommygunn on December 11, 2019, 08:58:41 AM

Tory 339
Labour 231
SNP 41
Lib Dem 15

1. Polling error
2. Tactical voting

The tories are getting back in. It's going to happen SF. I don't want it, you dont want it but we didn't want brexit either.

I think you're right here.

johnnycool

Quote from: marty34 on December 10, 2019, 09:49:45 PM
Quote from: playwiththewind1st on December 10, 2019, 07:30:23 PM
Quote from: Rois on December 10, 2019, 05:35:56 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on December 10, 2019, 05:16:33 PM
Are "we" going to take N Belfast and hold Fermanagh Sth Tyrone?
N Belfast is on a knife edge. The priest at mass on Sunday in St Therese on Somerton Rd wasn't encouraging a SF vote anyway!

Probably a DUP fan.

Our moral guardians!!!

The Catholic Church has a long road to travel before they can consider themselves that.

johnnycool

Quote from: Franko on December 11, 2019, 09:12:54 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on December 11, 2019, 08:58:41 AM

Tory 339
Labour 231
SNP 41
Lib Dem 15

1. Polling error
2. Tactical voting

I think you're right here.

I think you're right too but then the Brits are no better than the MAGA and KAGA yanks that they belittle so much along with the Trumpmeister.