Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Jinxy on May 21, 2014, 11:06:06 AM
Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on May 21, 2014, 10:44:54 AM
Quote from: Jinxy on May 21, 2014, 10:29:54 AM
Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on May 21, 2014, 10:12:40 AM
Quote from: Jinxy on May 21, 2014, 09:32:10 AM
The primary difference between male and female TV presenters is that female TV presenters have to be good looking.
That's hardly her fault.
She has a competitive sports background, is Irish, works for Sky and seems like an intelligent woman.
Brolly has let himself down badly with that comment.

Why? Is that comment itself not sexist?

That's the reality, not my opinion.

Oh I know it's the reality, do you think it's right though that the eye candy gets the role rather than the most competent woman?

Who would the most competent Irish female sports presenter be then?
That isn't already working for RTE, BBC or TV3, obviously.

What's the name of the red haired female sportswriter who has been writing a lot longer for the Irish Independent than Rachel Wyse has been? Do you think we'll ever see her on the telly?

Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

cockahoop

just a wee warning foR some of you guys who are offended by brollys comment,DONT WATCH WOLF OF WALL STREET!!!

AZOffaly

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on May 21, 2014, 11:49:25 AM
The primary difference between male and female TV presenters is that female TV presenters have to be good looking.
That's hardly her fault.
She has a competitive sports background, is Irish, works for Sky and seems like an intelligent woman.

Oh I know it's the reality, do you think it's right though that the eye candy gets the role rather than the most competent woman?

What's the name of the red haired female sportswriter who has been writing a lot longer for the Irish Independent than Rachel Wyse has been? Do you think we'll ever see her on the telly?

Is she a TV professional? Rachel Wyse, I believe, was asked to write for the Indo because she was a sports presenter, she wasn't made a sports presenter because her independent articles are so good.

highorlow

I'm with Joe on this one. There are a few pubs around me that I wouldn't dream to set foot in if it wasn't for the barmaids.

Same thing here with Sky. 

Also in relation to her Journalistic prowess why does the Indo have to show a full body shot of her alongside her articles? Does this again not reinforce Joe's argument?
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

AZOffaly

Quote from: highorlow on May 21, 2014, 11:53:37 AM
I'm with Joe on this one. There are a few pubs around me that I wouldn't dream to set foot in if it wasn't for the barmaids.

You wouldn't watch Sky if they didn't have attractive female sports news readers? What live sports on Sky are anchored by a woman? I know the soccer highlights show, Saturday choice or whatever it's called, is presented by a woman a lot, but the Rugby, the Premier League, FL72, Boxing, etc. are all anchored by a man as far as I know. Rachel Wyse is probably breaking new ground here actually.

cockahoop

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 21, 2014, 11:56:29 AM

You wouldn't watch Sky if they didn't have attractive female sports news readers? What live sports on Sky are anchored by a woman? I know the soccer highlights show, Saturday choice or whatever it's called, is presented by a woman a lot, but the Rugby, the Premier League, FL72, Boxing, etc. are all anchored by a man as far as I know. Rachel Wyse is probably breaking new ground here actually.

no theres a lady who presents the golf quite alot and if your into your cricket watch the pepsi league on itv4 and you will see 2 lead women who by coincidence are stunning

highorlow

QuoteYou wouldn't watch Sky if they didn't have attractive female sports news readers?

You don't get the analogy?

Pub A = Drink plus Mad Mick Bar Man

Pub B = Drink plus Attractive Bar Maid

Your left to decide.

This is all Sky's masterplan.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Jinxy

That's hardly her fault.

Cliona Foley?
I've seen her on telly a good few times.
She was on Breaking Ball before, as well as the Marty Morrissey thing that runs during the championship.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 21, 2014, 10:47:53 AM
Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on May 21, 2014, 10:38:28 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on May 21, 2014, 10:22:07 AM
Brolly is not making a point at all. He's insulting the woman for no other reason than his nose is out of joint because maybe RTE will have some real competition now. And having a woman as an anchor is no bad thing at all, if she is knowledgeable about sport and sporting competition. I think Evanne Ni Chulainn would do a good job in that role on RTE as well. Watch this space if the Sky approach is successful.

I don't think that's fair AZ. Sure he said himself it's TV3 plus Baywatch babe and he never had a problem with TV3 having some games. He was against Sky from the start because it was a Murdock corporation and the fact it was behind a paywall. I don't think Brolly gives two hoots about competition.

TV3 were never going to be competition for Brolly. The disdain he treats the viewers, and the amateur players he is supposed to enjoy watching, are symptomatic of what I believe to be a serious superiority complex on Joe's behalf. No one is as clever, as witty or as insightful as Joe. Tv3, with their small budget and limited reach were never going to be anything other than a second division irrelevance to him. Sky are a different animal, and if they decide to do it right, or if they get positive viewer feedback, he knows they can completely change the face of TV presentation of GAA, including our tired, stale, cynical analysts. I think it's very unlikely that Joe feels that RTE are in an unassailable position any more, and if Sky make inroads and RTE realise they have to lift their game, the performance of Brolly and Spillane, especially, will be something the Head of Sport looks at first off.

Of course if Joe can influence public perception of Sky and make a laugh out of it, or if Sky do a bad job of it, then RTE's position becomes even stronger, and Joe has a mandate to keep on keeping on for years to come. I think that would be a real pity.

While like you I desperately want RTE to up their game, change tack and get rid of the three Nualas and their "look at me and my smart comments" I don't think it's fair to say that Brolly is only interested in RTE keeping their monopoly or being in it for financial gain. While I've no doubt he enjoys the profile he loves the GAA and what it stands for more. He's taking a principled stand here and while I may not agree with him I respect him for it.

AZOffaly

Quote from: cockahoop on May 21, 2014, 11:58:16 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on May 21, 2014, 11:56:29 AM

no theres a lady who presents the golf quite alot

That's true. Out of divilment I've just done a search of Sky's presenters (not Sky Sports News now). I think Joe's 'formula' needs rethinking.

Soccer
Premier League
Ed Chamberlin presents Monday Night Football, alongside Gary Neville and Jamie Carragher, and Ford Super Sunday, whereas David Jones and Jamie Redknapp present Saturday Night Football.

Football League
Simon Thomas presents the match coverage. Bill Leslie and Don Goodman are the commentators.

Scottish football
David Tanner presents alongside Neil McCann. Ian Crocker, Andy Walker and David Provan are Sky's main commentators.

UEFA Champions League
Jeff Stelling presents Champions League coverage. The main pundits are Jamie Redknapp, Graeme Souness.

Spanish football
The Spanish football is fronted by Scott Minto, along with Guillem Balague and others.

Scores service
Sky Sports broadcasts the studio-based rolling score update shows, Gillette Soccer Saturday presented every Saturday from 12:00 to 18:00 by Jeff Stelling, and Gillette Soccer Special, broadcast on midweek evenings with significant numbers of matches taking place, usually presented by Julian Warren.

Cricket
Coverage is presented by former England captain David Gower and an illustrious commentary team including former captains Nasser Hussain, Andrew Strauss, Michael Atherton and Sir Ian Botham, popular former England batsman and coach and first-class umpire David Lloyd, former West Indian fast bowler Michael Holding and Australian legend Shane Warne, who joined the team during the 2009 Ashes.

Coverage of county cricket is presented and commentated on by former Surrey and England batsman Ian Ward and Charles Colvile.

Other international cricket is presented by Matt Floyd, Paul Allott and Nick Knight in the Sky Sports studio alongside pundits such as Ian Harvey, Jeremy Coney, Colin Croft, Robert Croft, Robert Key, Mark Butcher and Vikram Solanki.

Rugby League
The sport is now seen as being in a healthy state with two or three live matches from the Super League every week fronted by 'Eddie and Stevo' - Eddie Hemmings and former Great Britain World Cup winner Mike Stephenson - who are a rare example of a dual studio-presentation and commentary-box partnership in sports broadcasting.  Barrie McDermott, Terry O'Connor, Brian Carney or Shaun McRae often occupy the guest position.

They also broadcast a weekly midweek rugby league magazine show, Boots 'N' All, during the season; Super League's Super Men, an interview show with legends of the game hosted by Brian Carney and Sam Tomkins;

Rugby Union

Sky Sports' rugby coverage is presented by Alex Payne, James Gemmell and Rupert Cox.

etc etc etc ad infinitum.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Jinxy on May 21, 2014, 12:00:52 PM
That's hardly her fault.

Cliona Foley?
She was on Breaking Ball before, as well as the Marty Morrissey thing that runs during the championship.

That's the one. And you've made Joe's point there. You might see her on the odd show every couple of years but you'll never find her presenting on Sky.

shawshank

I do laugh at the comments people make about Brolly and how you cant understand blaa blaa etc etc. Brolly stands in court each day defending all types of people from murders, violent crime, asking brutal questions, hearing brutal stories, trying to find angles to get sentences reduces or get them off etc. A world we know nothing of.  When you put what he deals with daily, a throw away comment is hardly going to tax his conscience, the way it might for you or I.

sheamy

AZOffaly

What?? Croi, I think you're off base on this one. Sky Sports News is where women generally present on Sky Sports. Joe Brolly's position is starting from an incorrect position to begin with. So he's picking on Rachel Wyse explicitly and specifically. There are no (or very few) other women on Sky Sports who present live Sport in this way.

And I think you are giving his motivation far too much credit in my opinion, but you could be right.

Jinxy

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on May 21, 2014, 12:08:47 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on May 21, 2014, 12:00:52 PM
That's hardly her fault.

Cliona Foley?

That's the one. And you've made Joe's point there. You might see her on the odd show every couple of years but you'll never find her presenting on Sky.

When did that become the height of any woman's aspirations?
If you were any use you'd be playing.