Which is the Better Action Plan for Mayo: Liam Horan's or the County Board's?

Started by IolarCoisCuain, May 18, 2011, 10:59:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which is the Better Action Plan for Mayo: Liam Horan's or the County Board's?

Horan's
18 (90%)
The Board's
2 (10%)
Action Plan? What Action Plan?
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Barney

I have voted for Liam's.

yet again our County Board has ensured that we remain in the dark ages.

however the Committee Report cannot be 100% perfect and I think they were stupid with their all or nothing approach.

RedandGreenSniper

Perhaps they were Barney but the Board's approach in all of this has been nothing short of disgraceful. They commissioned a 'root and branch' report. They got one. It didn't suit their interests so they instead produced their own version, very much an exercise in cosmetics. As Horan said, to tick a box that Mayo have submitted a strategic plan. It sickens me. We had a chance to implement real change. The board wasn't willing to allow it but the clubs sat on their hands. Again. As a county we have got what we deserve.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: Barney on May 19, 2011, 12:34:52 PM
I have voted for Liam's.

yet again our County Board has ensured that we remain in the dark ages.

however the Committee Report cannot be 100% perfect and I think they were stupid with their all or nothing approach.

I don't think the Horanistas would have dug if the weight and, more importantly, the spirit of the report was implemented. If the Board has taken their review seriously. But the Board were obviously only interested in optics from the start. Very depressing.

An Gaeilgoir

Are we really suprised by this. Look at what has gone on in Mc Hale Park, a vanity project with all the "perks" for our "elected" county board members. Who is left footing the bill, the poor old clubs who are struggling now to field teams. Our county board are only interested in self preservation and hanging on to all the trimmings of been in office. F**k the lot of them. These were some of the men who, in order to push Mayo forward were willing to run with O Dwyer as manager!! This While every club in the county is flat broke!! Someone needs to shine a torch in to some of the corners of our board's dealings and goings -on. Horan is dead right in all he says. Maybe the Ballintubber Horan might be able to have a word in their ear. I won't hold my breath.

Zulu

Nobody to blame but the clubs. To many clubs are run by spineless yokels who won't organise themselves and work together to get things done. This is a disgrace and is far more important to Mayo football than the London game which has 14 pages of posts. I've expressed my deep desire to see Mayo win an All Ireland here before but when I see this happen I'm begining to think that a county which allows this to happen without so much as a murmum is getting exactly what it deserves - fcuk all.

I don't know enough about Mayo GAA at local level to comment on whether the Mayo boards plan is what is needed but I find it astonishing that the board can ask 'neutral' Mayo men to formulate a strategic plan and then dismiss it in favour of their own and the Mayo clubs bend over and accept this.

A black day for Mayo GAA and one which has ensured that Mayo will win nothing of note for many many years.

Tubberman

Quote from: Zulu on May 25, 2011, 04:02:09 PM
Nobody to blame but the clubs. To many clubs are run by spineless yokels who won't organise themselves and work together to get things done. This is a disgrace and is far more important to Mayo football than the London game which has 14 pages of posts. I've expressed my deep desire to see Mayo win an All Ireland here before but when I see this happen I'm begining to think that a county which allows this to happen without so much as a murmum is getting exactly what it deserves - fcuk all.

I don't know enough about Mayo GAA at local level to comment on whether the Mayo boards plan is what is needed
but I find it astonishing that the board can ask 'neutral' Mayo men to formulate a strategic plan and then dismiss it in favour of their own and the Mayo clubs bend over and accept this.

A black day for Mayo GAA and one which has ensured that Mayo will win nothing of note for many many years.

So you have no idea whether the board's plan is what is needed, but you know that it has ensured that Mayo will nothing of note for many years?  ???
I agree on your point re the clubs though - the club delegates are the ones who ultimately decide whether it's accepted or not.
I haven't seen the CB plan though, so I can't say what it's value is.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Zulu

The point I was making is that there didn't seem to be any real debate about the merits of the CB plan. Therefore how can the clubs know if their plan is the way forward? Remember this is a plan for the future development of Mayo GAA, surely that deserves a serious debate, especially in an underachieving county like Mayo. If Mayo don't get their act together they could be left behind, so clubs should have questioned every small detail of both plans and not voted until every question was answered and the reason the CB rejected certain aspects of the strategic plan should have been justified.

RedandGreenSniper

Zulu you are 100% right on this. Any talk in recent weeks was about the London game and not the debate, or lack of such, with regard to the strategic plans. When the Action Group's plan was first released there was a bit of momentum behind it but the County Board, being the experienced sleevens that they are, sat tight on it, knew it would lose its impetus and brought their own glib plan to the table amidst a sea of indifference. Too many people don't care when it matters. Who really should give a f**k about who plays CHB against London by comparison with the significance of this? Let their be no crying when we fade out this summer again about making changes. The County Board and the clubs were given the chance to embrace change and turned their back on it.

nephinman

If I may say so Sniper I agree with you. But isn't the problem that at every club AGM you have been to, or in me own case, year in year out, AGM's with different clubs  :-[, when the jobs are up for grabs its very hard to fill the top chairs. So in a club its either the same browbeaten reliable duty bound volunteer who takes a job or the guy with the bit of an ego who wants to rub shoulders with the big boys who will end up representing the club.

One guy only half wants to be there and the other who loves it will no way in hell rock the boat.

Just my opinion from observing over the years. :'(

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: nephinman on May 26, 2011, 12:10:00 AM
If I may say so Sniper I agree with you. But isn't the problem that at every club AGM you have been to, or in me own case, year in year out, AGM's with different clubs  :-[, when the jobs are up for grabs its very hard to fill the top chairs. So in a club its either the same browbeaten reliable duty bound volunteer who takes a job or the guy with the bit of an ego who wants to rub shoulders with the big boys who will end up representing the club.

One guy only half wants to be there and the other who loves it will no way in hell rock the boat.

You're spot on nephinman. That's the craic in most clubs. The County Board only love that. Delegates are all too often fodder for the board who are kept happy with ticket access etc when the good times come. I think the GAA needs to badly look at its structure. We only have a facade of democracy. Either the club secretary or chairman must be the county board delegate as well or some other method needs to be used to ensure that the delegate sent over doesn't turn out to be a yes man which happens at the moment all too often when the club's delegate is far from the top of their priorities.

RedandGreenSniper

An Gaeilgoir

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on May 26, 2011, 10:45:43 AM

You're spot on nephinman. That's the craic in most clubs. The County Board only love that. Delegates are all too often fodder for the board who are kept happy with ticket access etc when the good times come. I think the GAA needs to badly look at its structure. We only have a facade of democracy. Either the club secretary or chairman must be the county board delegate as well or some other method needs to be used to ensure that the delegate sent over doesn't turn out to be a yes man which happens at the moment all too often when the club's delegate is far from the top of their priorities.

Yesterdays debacle only add to the mess now. A private vote on this is what is required by ALL club members in the county and also for Feeney to shut his big mouth in the run up to championship games from now on. pigs flying and all that..... i know.

prewtna

ye two lads have yer fingers on the pulse as regards the co board and delegates. i can add a little to that however.

our club had a admitadely brief discussion about the Plan a couple of weeks ago. basically our delegate was told by the assembled members who obviously hadnt read the bloody thing - do whatever the county board wants cos they will screw us if we dont.

after sundays farce we are now going to struggle in a massive way to sell the fecking co board draw tickets. if i had my own way id tell them to shove mchale park up their arses and let us get on with trying to put footballs in the hands of young fellas and jerseys on their backs.

as far as im concerned the county board are a shower of  - insert your own expletives here....

An Gaeilgoir

Quote from: prewtna on May 30, 2011, 11:05:19 AM

ye two lads have yer fingers on the pulse as regards the co board and delegates. i can add a little to that however.

our club had a admitadely brief discussion about the Plan a couple of weeks ago. basically our delegate was told by the assembled members who obviously hadnt read the bloody thing - do whatever the county board wants cos they will screw us if we dont.

after sundays farce we are now going to struggle in a massive way to sell the fecking co board draw tickets. if i had my own way id tell them to shove mchale park up their arses and let us get on with trying to put footballs in the hands of young fellas and jerseys on their backs.

as far as im concerned the county board are a shower of  - insert your own expletives here....

Nail on head, we have to shift 153 of these tickets, we have about 130 members. sickening.