2024 Allianz Hurling League

Started by Mossy Bruce, January 27, 2024, 09:54:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnycool

Quote from: redsetanta on March 14, 2024, 01:18:45 PMTop two teams will be in the new Div 1b league with 5 other teams who will come down from the current Div 1a and 1b. Bottom two in each and the worst placed 4th placed team.

Likely to be Dublin, Waterford, Westmeath, Offaly and Westmeath.

Laois can't be caught now as they are 3 points clear in 2nd place with one game to go. My understanding is that the top two go up. Where did the 2nd playing 3rd come from?

It's been the case since the start of the league and IIRC it's been in this league for a few years.

Semi-final on the 23/24th of March.

If we beat Meath on Saturday, you lads better beat Kildare on Friday night.

redsetanta

It's a bit ambiguous.

GAA website says that the new `1B will consist of the top 2 in 2a while they say that the new Div 2 will consist of the teams that finish 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th in Div 2a as well as top 3 from Div 2b.

So it is the top two in the table that are promoted or the two teams that play in the Div 2a league final??

https://www.gaa.ie/hurling/news/new-allianz-hurling-league-structure-for-2025-explained
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

burdizzo

Quote from: johnnycool on March 14, 2024, 03:48:46 PM
Quote from: redsetanta on March 14, 2024, 01:18:45 PMTop two teams will be in the new Div 1b league with 5 other teams who will come down from the current Div 1a and 1b. Bottom two in each and the worst placed 4th placed team.

Likely to be Dublin, Waterford, Westmeath, Offaly and Westmeath.

Laois can't be caught now as they are 3 points clear in 2nd place with one game to go. My understanding is that the top two go up. Where did the 2nd playing 3rd come from?

It's been the case since the start of the league and IIRC it's been in this league for a few years.

Semi-final on the 23/24th of March.

If we beat Meath on Saturday, you lads better beat Kildare on Friday night.

Ye'll beat Meath. Laois already beat Kildare. Have Kerry Saturday night. Does that affect ye?

burdizzo

Hmmm. Carlow lost to Kildare last night, after - does that mean a good win over Kerry could put Laois straight into the final, or does it come down to head-to-head still?

Zooming around

Nice bit of experimentation in the team for today. Good to see. Also, good to see James Keyes back. We'll need him.

Mossy Bruce

Holy sh!te. Laois is topping the table. Well done, lads!
LAOIS! LAOIS! LAOIS!

les Antiques

Semi-Final: Laois v Down in Portlaoise
Final: Carlow v Laois/Down in Carlow

Mossy Bruce

Quote from: les Antiques on March 16, 2024, 08:37:56 PMSemi-Final: Laois v Down in Portlaoise

I can't say I quite understand this. Laois is a the top of the Division 2A table, yet have to win a semi-final to be in the final? I would think that would be Carlow playing Down in the semi-.
LAOIS! LAOIS! LAOIS!

GAABoardMod5

Quote from: Mossy Bruce on March 16, 2024, 10:11:54 PM
Quote from: les Antiques on March 16, 2024, 08:37:56 PMSemi-Final: Laois v Down in Portlaoise

I can't say I quite understand this. Laois is a the top of the Division 2A table, yet have to win a semi-final to be in the final? I would think that would be Carlow playing Down in the semi-.

Laois and Carlow level on points (8 each).  First tie-breaker id the head-to-head result, which Carlow won.

So Carlow are top of the division, Laois second and Down third. 

Down are third, by the way, because the first tie-breaker between themselves and Kildare was a Draw, second tie-breaker is scoring difference which Down wins by +4 to 0.

All Clear now?

Mossy Bruce

Quote from: GAABoardMod5 on March 16, 2024, 10:17:53 PM

Laois and Carlow level on points (8 each).  First tie-breaker id the head-to-head result, which Carlow won.

Down are third, by the way, because the first tie-breaker between themselves and Kildare was a Draw, second tie-breaker is scoring difference which Down wins by +4 to 0.

All Clear now?

I'm going to say "yes?".
LAOIS! LAOIS! LAOIS!

GAABoardMod5

Quote from: Mossy Bruce on March 17, 2024, 12:31:45 AM
Quote from: GAABoardMod5 on March 16, 2024, 10:17:53 PM

All Clear now?

I'm going to say "yes?".

The issue is RTE website shows Laois on top and Carlow second.

RTE are wrong...

G@@

Yeah, it's a bit messy bringing in head-to-head results for this. One question though, how did we get Portlaoise as the semi-final venue? Surely we should have to travel to Down considering they played us in Portlaoise already, or failing that a neutral venue for the Semi?
"I can't get over you - 'till you come out from under him" - Pat Shortt - Class!

burdizzo

Quote from: G@@ on March 17, 2024, 11:12:17 AMYeah, it's a bit messy bringing in head-to-head results for this. One question though, how did we get Portlaoise as the semi-final venue? Surely we should have to travel to Down considering they played us in Portlaoise already, or failing that a neutral venue for the Semi?

I suppose it's a reward for finishing second, just like Carlow's home venue for the final is their reward for finishing top.

johnnycool

Quote from: burdizzo on March 17, 2024, 12:42:50 PM
Quote from: G@@ on March 17, 2024, 11:12:17 AMYeah, it's a bit messy bringing in head-to-head results for this. One question though, how did we get Portlaoise as the semi-final venue? Surely we should have to travel to Down considering they played us in Portlaoise already, or failing that a neutral venue for the Semi?

I suppose it's a reward for finishing second, just like Carlow's home venue for the final is their reward for finishing top.

While I understand the logic behind these home knockout games and everyone knows the rules before a ball is thrown in, but do any of you think these rules would ever apply to the Div1 teams?

As for Saturday the Down lads won't fear Laois based on their last meeting where we were still in the game with 10 minutes to go.

Eoghan Sands may be a big loss due to his straight red card, but I'd expect Down to appeal that decision this week, but we'll know more later this week...

A few other injuries to clear up this week could mean Down playing from a full hand, which they didn't have in the first meeting..

georgedoylesrightleg

do well ta keep it pucked out ta yis so jonny