2024 Allianz Hurling League

Started by Mossy Bruce, January 27, 2024, 09:54:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blow-in

Quote from: blueandwhite1 on February 24, 2024, 09:16:02 PMHave seen no evidence that this management team are any good. Our hurling standards and the way the team is set up looks second rate.

I have to agree. Very poor and doesn't look good when we lose two coaches mid season. Although looking at a couple of trainings earlier in the year, the sessions are very poor. I think things are going to get worse in the next couple of seasons as I think we will lose a number of first team players at the end of this season.

Blueforever

Dreadful performance last night only one tactic balloon the ball down on top of a 18 year old who was marked by 2 and sometimes 3 defenders another 18 year old who was best club  defender all last year playing midfield and best club forward by a mile last year sitting in the subs Willie Maher has not a clue

burdizzo

If you're talking about Mossy (and I assume you are!), he was lucky to come on at all. Only after a major operation.

Zooming around

Playing high balls on top of the full forward line wasn't clever especially when you had Martin Phelan at wing forward. He struggled there and should be full forward or nowhere in a swap with Aaron Dunphy who simply has to be wing forward.

A few of the older lads looked disinterested unfortunately. The Carlow spirit was much better than ours.

We are fouling too much. Marty Kavanagh had a pain in his arm pointing frees.

We could still have won. Phelan had a right chance for a goal before half time but blasted over. We also drove some terrible wides and Carlow were much more efficient.

Conway, Delaney, Shanahan (at times) and Purcell (in the second half) were very good.

Are Ross King and James Keyes injured/dropped/gone?

burdizzo

Quote from: Zooming around on February 26, 2024, 12:41:30 PMAre Ross King and James Keyes injured/dropped/gone?

Thought I saw Ross there? However, James Keyes is in America, and I don't think he's scheduled to come back.

Zooming around

Quote from: burdizzo on February 26, 2024, 01:57:17 PM
Quote from: Zooming around on February 26, 2024, 12:41:30 PMAre Ross King and James Keyes injured/dropped/gone?

Thought I saw Ross there? However, James Keyes is in America, and I don't think he's scheduled to come back.

Are you sure about Keyes. I think he's back around.

Amazing to think that we could have 5 better forwards starting than what played Saturday. 2 x Keyes, W Dunphy, Cillian Dunne and Roddy.

Is Fionan Mahony on the panel.

burdizzo

Quote from: Zooming around on February 26, 2024, 02:42:28 PM

Amazing to think that we could have 5 better forwards starting than what played Saturday. 2 x Keyes, W Dunphy, Cillian Dunne and Roddy.

No, not 100% sure, but that's what I heard on Saturday night. Also heard it's not an entirely happy camp, but who knows? I agree, it was strange having Phelan on the wing. He's not suited to there, and nor in Dunphy suited to ff. I think he got one point, and that's all, before coming off?

les Antiques

King is back training and will be available in the next few weeks .
I don't see much improvement from last year presently. 
The word is everything is been geared towards the Joe Mcdonagh. Hard to be fully convinced just yet.

Zooming around

Quote from: burdizzo on February 26, 2024, 02:53:12 PM
Quote from: Zooming around on February 26, 2024, 02:42:28 PM

No, not 100% sure, but that's what I heard on Saturday night. Also heard it's not an entirely happy camp, but who knows? I agree, it was strange having Phelan on the wing. He's not suited to there, and nor in Dunphy suited to ff. I think he got one point, and that's all, before coming off?

James Keyes is definitely back home but wasn't asked back to the panel.

Does anybody know what the story with Fionan Mahony and Cillian Dunne is? Are they away or just not considered or have they opted out themselves. I think both of them are good enough to be on that panel. It's frustrating that we never seem to be picking from a full panel of the best players in Laois.

Laois Rising

This management team are going to live or die by the sword based on the team's Joe McDonagh performances. Both Offaly and Westmeath are really giving the Division 1 league a right craic at the moment. Very opposing approaches being taken by Laois to their main challengers for the Joe McDonagh. Hopefully the management's approach pays dividends for Laois and we see a fit, fresh Laois team peaking at the right time for the game with Offaly.

What we don't want is Laois needing 20/30 minutes of the opening game struggling to get the the pitch of the game against a sharper Offaly team flying out of the blocks. I see the likes of Ravenhill, Screeney etc. have been fast tracked into the starting team and getting plenty of Division 1 hurling experience. This Offaly team will come into the start of the Joe McDonagh with plenty of confidence if they continue to perform as they have in the previous two games. If Laois continue to performance as they have in the opening three rounds, very hard to build momentum, confidence and a positive squad of players. I hope the rumours of disgruntlement are short lived and the squad that is there pull in the right direction for the rest of the year. 

County Man

Carlow were full value for the win on Saturday night. They were impressive with a team much bigger than ours and an excellent half forward line. They were much more accurate than us on the night as well.

This was a proper test for Laois as we get ready for the Joe McDonagh cup. Glad that Ross King will be available in mid March. At least we should be ok for Division 1B hurling next year as 2 teams go up from our division.

It promises to be a fantastic McDonagh cup and this is where the season will be judged. Seems that Offaly and Westmeath are motoring well. There should be great battles against them. Looking forward to it.

Conway had a good solid game at corner back and both Enda Rowland and Paddy Purcell showed what important players they are for us.

Laois man

Wonder is there a new coach coming on board after the other 2 got the door?

Mossy Bruce

Here's hoping for some good form, tomorrow.
LAOIS! LAOIS! LAOIS!

LaoisAbu20

Good win today and great to see lads bounce back after poor carlow performance. Nice to see mossy back and laois scoring a few goals also. The lads played well, albeit poor opposition, also heard Willie Maher wasnt at the game as was in the US. Hopefully he will be able to make all the Joe McDonagh games.

Mossy Bruce

"The full forward line were outstanding as Aaron Dunphy, Tomas Keyes and Jer Quinlan combined for 3-14." (from Laois Today)

Wow!

I just saw the final score for Offaly v. Cork. Ouch!
LAOIS! LAOIS! LAOIS!