Started by IolarCoisCuain, October 04, 2016, 07:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orchard park

Quote from: Syferus on August 27, 2018, 03:37:26 PM
Quote from: Orchard park on August 27, 2018, 03:33:32 PM
Quote from: Syferus on August 27, 2018, 02:38:04 PM
Quote from: Orchard park on August 25, 2018, 05:18:31 PM
Quote from: Syferus on August 25, 2018, 02:57:21 PM
Is yer man from clickbait central, Joe, stumping up the cash?

This is exactly the sort of haves-have nots situation the GAA should be actively trying to eliminate.. the playing field needs to be more level for all counties. A commercial manager for each province might have made more sense.

How would a provincial commercial manager work with rival counties having local parochial funders who not alone say want Roscommon to succeed but equally Mayo and Galway not to.....

How the fûck do you think one company promotes Coca Cola and Sprite at the same time with this attitude?

You have obviously  never dealt with a club or intercounty  GAA official in your life.........

Do you have a clue what a commercial manager would do? You're doing some serious grandstanding here but it doesn't bare much resemblance to reality.

You explain to me how a commercial manager will give 20% of his time yo 5 different masters,

Have you ever had a boss much less 5......

No grandstanding it's common f**king sense

Dinny Breen

https://amp.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/gaa/ahern-defends-dublin-gaas-funding-windfall-865484.html?__twitter_impression=true   

By John Fogarty

Former Taoiseach Bertie Ahern has defended the funding that has been provided to Dublin GAA going back to his time in office.

Ahern played a significant role in Government money being provided for the development of Gaelic games in his native county, close to €1m per year since 2005 via Sport Ireland, which works out at approximately €13m.

In front of an Oireachtas committee last year, former GAA director general Páraic Duffy explained that Ahern was integral to the funding being directed to Dublin.

"That money, originally, when it was allocated to the GAA, was allocated specifically for Dublin, for the development of hurling and football. It was when Bertie Ahern was Taoiseach and, to be fair, it has been really successful in terms of broadening the participation of the games in Dublin."

"It's always a fair question to ask, but I remember the beginning of this decade when Pat [Gilroy] had come in and we got hammered by your good selves (Kerry, 2009 All-Ireland semi-final).

"We weren't doing well at the end of the last decade. As manager of the team, Pat was going around trying to organise funding. If the success didn't come in 2011 and the good league campaign, we wouldn't have got the sponsorship.

"Yes, Dublin has a big population, but it's a tough game in Dublin. It's huge soccer country; it's huge rugby country; it's huge people-who-couldn't-care-less-about-Gaelic-football; huge new Irish population, if I put it that way; and you have people who just aren't sympathetic to GAA in the city."

Ahern accepts the popularity of Gaelic games in Dublin has soared, but pointed back to when that was not the case.

"I remember back in '95, coming back up from a commemoration in Wexford the day of the All-Ireland final, and I had to go to Liberty Hall before I saw the first Dublin colours. It's not like that now, but it was like that.

"I'm not saying Kerry people, because I think we have great respect for each other, but there's a lot of people... like, we didn't win an All-Ireland in the 30s, we won in '42 and the next one was in '58, then it was '63, then we had the great team of '74 to '77 then we had to wait until '83, just one, and then '95. This decade has been brilliant and I keep saying it to Dublin supporters they need to understand that this is a rarity."
Bertie Ahern

#newbridgeornowhere

kerryforsam2018

Dennis Breen do you have a dirty horn for Dublin football? I never see you posting about kildare. Plenty money invested in kildare gaa.when you likes of monaghan and ourselves with small population  and see kildare under achieve with it huge resources

Rossfan

Kerry has twice the population of Monaghan.
I don't recall central GAA or the Government giving money to Kildare??
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

mup

Quote from: kerryforsam2018 on August 30, 2018, 07:37:10 AM
Dennis Breen do you have a dirty horn for Dublin football? I never see you posting about kildare. Plenty money invested in kildare gaa.when you likes of monaghan and ourselves with small population  and see kildare under achieve with it huge resources

At least Dinny is open and transparent on where he is really from.

Jinxy

Quote from: Dinny Breen on August 30, 2018, 07:29:48 AM
https://amp.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/gaa/ahern-defends-dublin-gaas-funding-windfall-865484.html?__twitter_impression=true   

By John Fogarty

Former Taoiseach Bertie Ahern has defended the funding that has been provided to Dublin GAA going back to his time in office.

Ahern played a significant role in Government money being provided for the development of Gaelic games in his native county, close to €1m per year since 2005 via Sport Ireland, which works out at approximately €13m.

In front of an Oireachtas committee last year, former GAA director general Páraic Duffy explained that Ahern was integral to the funding being directed to Dublin.

"That money, originally, when it was allocated to the GAA, was allocated specifically for Dublin, for the development of hurling and football. It was when Bertie Ahern was Taoiseach and, to be fair, it has been really successful in terms of broadening the participation of the games in Dublin."

"It's always a fair question to ask, but I remember the beginning of this decade when Pat [Gilroy] had come in and we got hammered by your good selves (Kerry, 2009 All-Ireland semi-final).

"We weren't doing well at the end of the last decade. As manager of the team, Pat was going around trying to organise funding. If the success didn't come in 2011 and the good league campaign, we wouldn't have got the sponsorship.

"Yes, Dublin has a big population, but it's a tough game in Dublin. It's huge soccer country; it's huge rugby country; it's huge people-who-couldn't-care-less-about-Gaelic-football; huge new Irish population, if I put it that way; and you have people who just aren't sympathetic to GAA in the city."

Ahern accepts the popularity of Gaelic games in Dublin has soared, but pointed back to when that was not the case.

"I remember back in '95, coming back up from a commemoration in Wexford the day of the All-Ireland final, and I had to go to Liberty Hall before I saw the first Dublin colours. It's not like that now, but it was like that.

"I'm not saying Kerry people, because I think we have great respect for each other, but there's a lot of people... like, we didn't win an All-Ireland in the 30s, we won in '42 and the next one was in '58, then it was '63, then we had the great team of '74 to '77 then we had to wait until '83, just one, and then '95. This decade has been brilliant and I keep saying it to Dublin supporters they need to understand that this is a rarity."
Bertie Ahern

I'm driving around Dublin every day and there's little or no sign that there's an All-Ireland final on Sunday.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Hound

Quote from: Jinxy on August 30, 2018, 10:53:47 AM

By John Fogarty

Bertie Ahern

I'm driving around Dublin every day and there's little or no sign that there's an All-Ireland final on Sunday.
GAA still a minority sport in the capital, especially if you ignored all the non-Dubs involved in GAA.  The more central you are, the more that applies. Out in the burbs (some of them), you'd see more flags in windows, cars, etc.

Owenmoresider

Quote from: Jinxy on August 30, 2018, 10:53:47 AM

By John Fogarty

Bertie Ahern

Spot on, I was around Dublin in the week of last year's final and there was barely a flag to be seen for a long stretch south of the Liffey. Even Mayo flags were visible.

Syferus

Apathy. It's a depressing sight when the sport is so diminished the biggest story of AI final week is some county out west shafting their manager. The GAA is in serious bother.

Bertie sounds like the typical head-in-the-sand Dublin GAA person.

mup

Quote from: Syferus on August 30, 2018, 12:10:07 PM
Apathy. It's a depressing sight when the sport is so diminished the biggest story of AI final week is some county out west shafting their manager. The GAA is in serious bother.

Bertie sounds like the typical head-in-the-sand Dublin GAA person.

I could imagine Bertie guffawing in Fagan's regaling the clientele about selling the idea to the cabinet regarding the annual donation from the government to Dublin GAA.

A Father Ted like decision.

CJ2017

No flags? you could argue its a minority sport in Dublin

Dublin Registered Players - 39K
Cork registered players - 33K
Galway registered players- 21k

Dublin population 1.3 million
Cork population - 500k
Galway population - 260k

https://www.balls.ie/gaa/gaa-investment-in-dublin-348120

larryin89

Quote from: CJ2017 on August 30, 2018, 12:55:26 PM

Cork population - 500k
Galway population - 260k

Crikey registered players v resources/ funding ,that's some disproportionate shit right there . But carry on with the once in a generation players line
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Hound

Quote from: larryin89 on August 30, 2018, 01:06:11 PM
Quote from: CJ2017 on August 30, 2018, 12:55:26 PM

Cork population - 500k
Galway population - 260k

Crikey registered players v resources/ funding ,that's some disproportionate shit right there . But carry on with the once in a generation players line
Jeez Louise.

Playing numbers and these capital grants are supposed to have no correlation! It's precisely because the playing numbers in Dublin are so low and that so few kids play GAA %wise compared to most other counties, that the grants were awarded. That's why we have GPOs going into junior infants classes and trying to persuade them to pop into their local GAA club.

Whether that's right or wrong is another conversation, and maybe there are other areas in the country where youngsters aren't going to their GAA clubs and we need to do more to persuade them to play

Hound

The number of registered adult players per county is very interesting. Dublin's numerical advantage far less pronounced that the pure population figures, which are obviously a complete nonsense given the amount of people in Dublin with no interest in, and often severe dislike of GAA.

But that 39k is sure to grow and the difference increase, given the ever increasing number of country people moving to Dublin. Would be interesting to see the full list of the home county of current Dubs' players parents

Would be interesting to see these figures further broken down between football, hurling, dual. At first glance it would seem that Galway have twice the pick of Mayo, and when comparing football to football, I'd guess it would be a lot closer.

TheGreatest

Hound, some lads on here are not interested in rational thinking when it comes to Dublin.

Is that number purely adult male players across both codes or total, including kids and females?

Dublins football pool pick is realistically adult football teams 1-3, push it out to 1-4 maybe.