U20 All Ireland football championship 2021

Started by Blowitupref, February 03, 2020, 04:03:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

Quote from: yellowcard on August 15, 2021, 03:16:23 PM
End to end stuff, great game played at a serious pace to finish off what was a great U-20 championship. Roscommon will rue a few missed goal chances in the first half but Offaly just had a bit more class up front. Numbers 13 and 14 were brilliant all championship in the 3 games I watched but 12 deservedly won MOTM today. Glad for a great GAA county like Offaly.

Little of the cagey side to side stuff, you could imagine this game between Roscommon and Offaly in 1981. Great to see Offaly's name back on the silverware, they are one of the great GAA counties. 

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Rossfan

Feck them, would be nothing wrong with seeing Ros' name on it either!
Better, sharper team won but we didn't help ourselves by a goal obsession early on.
A lot of wrong options at times but a spirited fightback.
Not sure why Wynne wasn't a starter.
A few lads underperforming left on too long.
Ah well it was good while it lasted.
Keith Doyle and Colin Walsh up to Senior panel right away please.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Farrandeelin

Hard luck to our neighbours. I was hoping you'd do it but it wasn't to be. As others have said Offaly have played great football this year.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Cunny Funt

Good final in what was a entertaining campaign. Offaly the more clinical side in the end congrats to them, massive support their brought to Croke Park and a long overdue All-Ireland football success to celebrate.

I think both sides should have a good number to go on play senior inter-county and I'd hope moving forward that HQ treat this grade with respect and make it set for the summer months with the final in Croke Park.

Orior

Well done Offaly. Great to see a different name emerging.

Also good to see Shane Lowry at the match.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Rossfan

Quote from: Cunny Funt on August 15, 2021, 06:14:13 PM
I'd hope moving forward that HQ treat this grade with respect and make it set for the summer months with the final in Croke Park.
+1.
As I've said before have an All Ireland Finals weekend with Minor, U20 and any B, Tier2 or Tailteann Finals as a triple header on the Saturday and the Big One Sunday.
Have all 6 or 8 teams at an official GAA dinner the Sunday night etc
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

weareros

Congrats to Offaly. We can have regrets but no complaints. The better team won. Took their scores well, were full of energy throughout. Some great players  that will become senior stars for Offaly. Regrets because we missed a lot of good chances in first half. However this team from the first game have always gone for goals, scored 13 great ones on this journey, and I love that in the players, and hope to see some  graduate to senior in a year or two. Almost hauled back the 7 points in the end, but not to be. Again congrats to Offaly, enjoy a famous victory.

Bord na Mona man

Yes, the game could have panned out differently had Roscommon snatched an early goal.
Offaly were fortunate that when the goal did finally come they had built up a cushion. It made for a tense finish.

And this is the hallmark of this Offaly side. Dazzling, high speed attacks, yet living precariously at times and holding on in games that should have closed out.

Roscommon people will be pleased with the spirit their players showed and they have a couple of very useful prospects. Any Offaly burst of scores was responded to.
Overall, the main difference being that Offaly were quicker to transition into attack. Roscommon were slower in the build up play and left themselves more vulnerable to turnovers.

The third quarter run of scores when Offaly finally managed to cut loose will be the abiding memory.
Yesterday was an unexpected glory day for Offaly people as many of us assumed the possibility of challenging for honours was remote and distant in the future, if ever.

I remember growing up in the 80s and 90s Offaly were regularly up in Croke Park contending. In a year like 1998, Offaly played on 10 different match days in Croke Park.
Of the attendance of 24,000 yesterday, there was at least 15,000 Offaly supporters. It's a long time since anything approaching that number went to watch Offaly.
I'd estimate it is 15 years since a match day special train pulled into Clara, Tullamore and Portarlington.

To see the gangs young fellas hitting the streets of Dublin, mad for drink, like we all did years ago. They wouldn't have been born when Offaly were last in the hunt for a trophy.

There is a definite feel good factor in the county right now. However there is also a recognition that there are lot of rungs on the ladder above them in senior hurling and football.
This win in isolation would make a small improvement but the hope is that every up and coming Offaly underage group gets a boost from it.

twohands!!!

I'd hope moving forward that HQ treat this grade with respect and make it set for the summer months with the final in Croke Park.

Been a super championship - a lot of great games.
Obviously the major negative was poor Brendan Óg Ó Dufaig.

I do think the GAA could do a lot more in terms of promotion of this grade - a fair few of the games were almost hidden away on TG4's Youtube channel - I spoke to two different GAA folk about these games and neither of them realised they were being broadcast - I don't know do the GAA as an organisation realise that being on an Irish language station is a real drawback in terms of a serious chunk of viewers in the country - over the years I've had a number of similar conversations with serious GAA people about TG4 - there seems to be a lot of GAA people who will only watch TG4 if ther own county/club is playing and will mute the commentary/there's others who don't watch TG4 at all. I can't help but wonder what sort of viewership these games would have got if broadcast on the GAA's own YouTube channel versus on RTE 2.

Muck Savage

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on August 16, 2021, 12:27:06 PM
Yes, the game could have panned out differently had Roscommon snatched an early goal.
Offaly were fortunate that when the goal did finally come they had built up a cushion. It made for a tense finish.

And this is the hallmark of this Offaly side. Dazzling, high speed attacks, yet living precariously at times and holding on in games that should have closed out.

Roscommon people will be pleased with the spirit their players showed and they have a couple of very useful prospects. Any Offaly burst of scores was responded to.
Overall, the main difference being that Offaly were quicker to transition into attack. Roscommon were slower in the build up play and left themselves more vulnerable to turnovers.

The third quarter run of scores when Offaly finally managed to cut loose will be the abiding memory.
Yesterday was an unexpected glory day for Offaly people as many of us assumed the possibility of challenging for honours was remote and distant in the future, if ever.

I remember growing up in the 80s and 90s Offaly were regularly up in Croke Park contending. In a year like 1998, Offaly played on 10 different match days in Croke Park.
Of the attendance of 24,000 yesterday, there was at least 15,000 Offaly supporters. It's a long time since anything approaching that number went to watch Offaly.
I'd estimate it is 15 years since a match day special train pulled into Clara, Tullamore and Portarlington.

To see the gangs young fellas hitting the streets of Dublin, mad for drink, like we all did years ago. They wouldn't have been born when Offaly were last in the hunt for a trophy.

There is a definite feel good factor in the county right now. However there is also a recognition that there are lot of rungs on the ladder above them in senior hurling and football.
This win in isolation would make a small improvement but the hope is that every up and coming Offaly underage group gets a boost from it.
You might be talking about 1989 - An Offaly team played in HQ every time it was open that year for inter-county C'ship games. A mad summer

Great win yesterday, hopefully the teams can keep the momentum going into 2022.
Speed of transition and a bit of luck early on won it.

yellowcard

Quote from: twohands!!! on August 16, 2021, 02:19:38 PM

Been a super championship - a lot of great games.
Obviously the major negative was poor Brendan Óg Ó Dufaig.

I do think the GAA could do a lot more in terms of promotion of this grade - a fair few of the games were almost hidden away on TG4's Youtube channel - I spoke to two different GAA folk about these games and neither of them realised they were being broadcast - I don't know do the GAA as an organisation realise that being on an Irish language station is a real drawback in terms of a serious chunk of viewers in the country - over the years I've had a number of similar conversations with serious GAA people about TG4 - there seems to be a lot of GAA people who will only watch TG4 if ther own county/club is playing and will mute the commentary/there's others who don't watch TG4 at all. I can't help but wonder what sort of viewership these games would have got if broadcast on the GAA's own YouTube channel versus on RTE 2.

I think TG4 do a great job broadcasting these matches and neither do I find too many people complaining about them either. I don't understand most of the commentary either but it doesn't put me off in the slightest, the game itself is the most important factor and it's good promotion of our native language. RTE has got so bland recently that it might actually be a positive anyway.

I love watching the club matches on TG4 in the winter months, it's real & authentic and lacks most of the hype of the county stuff.   

Blowitupref

Quote from: Muck Savage on August 16, 2021, 05:21:20 PM

You might be talking about 1989 - An Offaly team played in HQ every time it was open that year for inter-county C'ship games. A mad summer

Out of interest how many of the Offaly players yesterday are U20 again next year?
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Bord na Mona man

I believe you are nearly correct about 1989 when both minor teams got to All Ireland finals, but I don't think an Offaly team would have played before the Ulster - Connacht All Ireland football semi?

In 1998 the footballers played a league semi final, final and Leinster championship vs Meath.
The hurlers played 7 out of 8 games in Crow Park and one in Thurles.

Muck Savage

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on August 16, 2021, 07:03:21 PM

I believe you are nearly correct about 1989 when both minor teams got to All Ireland finals, but I don't think an Offaly team would have played before the Ulster - Connacht All Ireland football semi?

In 1998 the footballers played a league semi final, final and Leinster championship vs Meath.
The hurlers played 7 out of 8 games in Crow Park and one in Thurles.

U21 hurlers played Antrim (I believe) before the minor football final Ulster/Connacht semi final. It was a mad summer one I won't forget as we went to every game that summer. Hopefully days like those are on the way back.

johnnycool

Are there many dual players on that team?