Offaly vs Tipperary - 18/07/2010

Started by Bord na Mona man, July 15, 2010, 10:16:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bord na Mona man

The Faithful will be up against it here.

While Tipperary's All Ireland performance last year caused them to be overrated, they aren't as bad as their 10 point defeat to Cork. They've now had their wake up call in that clash, so we should expect them to be fully focussed.

In Offaly's favour, Tipp's U21 clash with Cork going to extra time last night can only be good news.

The two Galway games have shown that going at full throttle Offaly can for the most part match a top 5 (excluding Kilkenny obviously) team. Offaly will again need to work exceptionally hard to disrupt Tipp.
The Limerick and Antrim championship games have shown that Offaly lack a clinical edge when the scoreboard needs to worked. In game #2 against Galway, Offaly had a chance to push on after levelling up a 10 point deficit but couldn't and didn't due to some agonising wides.

David Franks may once again manage to lock down Eoin Kelly as he has done in the past, but the threat can and will come from other quarters.
The pace of some the Tipperary forwards is a big danger. Galway placing the speedy Damian Hayes nearer the Offaly goal was probably the winning of the replay for them. Lar Corbett and Noel McGrath especially would need to somehow put on a tight leash.

Full back will be a position to watch for Offaly depending one who plays there. Neither David Kenny or Paul Cleary are particularly quick. My own fear is Lar Corbett getting decent low ball in front of him and going to town.

For Offaly to get close it would need to a vintage performance of hooking, blocking and forcing errors.
As they did in April's league game in Tullamore, they'd need to open up the Tipperary full back line and plunder goals at some stage.

I suspect how the Offaly half forward line fare against the Tipp half back line will be the biggest factor in deciding the margin. Cleaned out, broke even, or on top will probably map to - hammered, respectable defeat, a puck of a ball in it.

We live in hope.

Bord na Mona man

Tipp team named:

1. Brendan Cummins (Ballybacon Grange)
2. Paddy Stapleton (Borris-Ileigh)
3. Paul Curran (Mullinahone)
4. Michael Cahill (Thurles Sarsfields)
5. Declan Fanning (Killenaule)
6. Conor O'Mahony (Newport)
7. Padraic Maher (Thurles Sarsfields)
8. Brendan Maher (Borris-Ileigh)
9. David Young (Toomevara)
10. Gearóid Ryan (Templederry Kenyons)
11. Shane McGrath (Ballinahinch)
12. Patrick Maher (Lorrha and Dorrha)
13. Noel McGrath (Loughmore Castleiney)
14. Lar Corbett (Thurles Sarsfields)
15. Eoin Kelly (Mullinahone) Captain.

Croí na hÉireann

That is some ff line, although I think Lar is more suited to the 40. Epect Tipp to win this by +5
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

fearglasmor

Like Bord na Mona Man, I think lack of pace will be Offaly's biggest downfall.
The amount of running with ball in hand in something previous great Offaly teams did not have to contend with so much, so they could outhurl teams. Now you have to be able to match your opponent athletically and I can see Offaly doing that.

Hopefully I'm completely wrong.

seafoid

I miss the vehemence and the verbiage of GalteeMountainBoy. This thread would be meat and drink to him.
I hope whoever wins this match is fit to beat the cats or at least moving in that direction. I would even stomach a Tipp win but these are exceptional times. 
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

seafoid

A disappointing end to the championship for both Offaly teams?

AZOffaly

Disappointing, but hopeful at the same time. The hurlers have improved again from last year, and the footballers are well ahead of their displays last year.

I'm disappointed we're out of both, but I'm more hopeful for 2011 than I was for 2010.

The Biff

Facing into this weekend, I probably carried more hopes for the Hurlers than the Footballers. There is no shame in losing to a better team, but Tipperary will have to step up their own performance a bit from this showing.

Moment of the day - yet another Umpire cockup in this season of classic cockups.  Pity the Sunday Game did not show it last night because they should have had an great camera shot.  Simultaneous signals from two umpires - one waves the White flag for a point while the other waves his arms for a wide.  An audible laugh breaks around the whole ground.  The ref consults the two umpires for a good 20-30 seconds (making me think that each umpire is reasonably adamant that he is correct himself).  The ref sides with the man closest to the post that the ball passed, even though he was standing (as usual) in a poor position to see the ball pass the post, and the decision is a Wide.

I thought it was a point.  Thankfully it was not significant to the result, or there would have been hell-to-pay ...... AGAIN!    :o
Never argue with a fool; He'll bring you down to his level and then beat you on experience.

seafoid

Quote from: The Biff on July 19, 2010, 01:27:39 PM
Facing into this weekend, I probably carried more hopes for the Hurlers than the Footballers. There is no shame in losing to a better team, but Tipperary will have to step up their own performance a bit from this showing.

Moment of the day - yet another Umpire cockup in this season of classic cockups.  Pity the Sunday Game did not show it last night because they should have had an great camera shot.  Simultaneous signals from two umpires - one waves the White flag for a point while the other waves his arms for a wide.  An audible laugh breaks around the whole ground.  The ref consults the two umpires for a good 20-30 seconds (making me think that each umpire is reasonably adamant that he is correct himself).  The ref sides with the man closest to the post that the ball passed, even though he was standing (as usual) in a poor position to see the ball pass the post, and the decision is a Wide.

I thought it was a point.  Thankfully it was not significant to the result, or there would have been hell-to-pay ...... AGAIN!    :o

Biff

It is a disgrace that you are classed as a 'newbie'.

The Biff

Quote from: seafoid on July 19, 2010, 01:41:57 PM

Biff

Yerra I'm well passed the point of worrying about labels like that.  'Tis almost like getting a second chance at "Virtual Life".  Only lads like us can remember the good ol' days when Tony Fearon was probably the ONLY poster from Armagh, and the rest of Ulster probaby numbered only two or three less frequent contributors.  Of course it goes without saying that the Football and Hurling were better in those days too. ...........

..... Yes nurse I'll have my medication now.
Never argue with a fool; He'll bring you down to his level and then beat you on experience.

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: seafoid on July 19, 2010, 01:41:57 PM
Biff

He has been called far worse.