Donegal v Tyrone, Sunday Aug 5, Ballybofey

Started by Ball Hopper, July 21, 2018, 11:06:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

Quote from: Whitnail on July 22, 2018, 06:06:09 PM
Inevitable this group would come down to a ding dong in ballybofey. We've had the easiest road through ulster in many a year .

I think the winner will play Galway as i expect Monaghan to win the other group ( just my opinion).
Murphy will need to keep his cool as he will be targeted big time but i think we can still score enough without him thankfully

Huh?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

An Watcher

Winner of this game will finish second and play the winner of Galway Monaghan.

Looking forward to ballybofey.  Hasn't been a happy hunting for us for the last number of years.  I remember the late Cormac mcanallen lifting the McKenna cup there shortly before his death.
Think it has become a particularly hostile location for tyrone Thorne in recent years but hopefully we can get one over on them and take on galway/Monaghan in the semi

Main Street

This has the makings of the game of the 3rd round., pure ulster retro grind.
My sentiments would be for Donegal, (overly fond lingering intimate memories from many summers spent in Rann na Feirste), however this is about football, Tyrone have impressed as a quality outfit since their dodgy beginnings this year and should prevail over a weakened Donegal

RedHand88

Rumour has it Donegal have narrowed the stairway tunnel in Ballybofey to disrupt Tyrone.

redhandefender

Quote from: Main Street on July 22, 2018, 11:25:18 PM
My sentiments would be for Donegal, (overly fond lingering intimate memories from many summers spent in Rann na Feirste), however this is about football, Tyrone have impressed as a quality outfit since their dodgy beginnings this year and should prevail over a weakened Donegal

You're sentiments say Donegal because you are never done on here slobbering about Tyrone.

Great way to end the series for both counties. Taking on the neighbours ion the back garden. Have a lot of Donegal family and friends and there hasn't been a word said yet form either side. Its tough to call. I think by end of this week our boys will feel good about the weekend and go in to this with full confidence. a weeks break will definitely help us.

Is Gallagher out then? Brennan and Bradley back in the mix could be massive.

omagh_gael

Quote from: redhandefender on July 23, 2018, 10:16:30 AM

You're sentiments say Donegal because you are never done on here slobbering about Tyrone.

Great way to end the series for both counties. Taking on the neighbours ion the back garden. Have a lot of Donegal family and friends and there hasn't been a word said yet form either side. Its tough to call. I think by end of this week our boys will feel good about the weekend and go in to this with full confidence. a weeks break will definitely help us.

If Gallagher is out I think his miss could be huge for our FF line. He's a very impressive operator.

I think we have to engineer the team to get Bradley and Brennan in from the start. This is do or die and we seen in other games the more advanced/focused forward play compared to us. We started with McAliskey, Brennan and Bradley versus Monaghan. How do we do it in Ballybofey. My thoughts on the team would be...

Morgan
McKernan
Hampsey (on Murphy)
HP McGeary
McCann
Burns
Harte
Colm
R Donnelly
Donnelly
Sludden
Meyler
Bradley
McAliskey
Brennan

I was thinking why we didn't see L Brennan on Saturday and only conclusion is he has had a minor setback or, more likely, Harte thought our gameplan for the last 10 minutes wasn't going to suit his game so held off to give him a full two weeks further recovery.

bigpackiechestout

Quote from: omagh_gael on July 23, 2018, 02:31:58 PM

If Gallagher is out I think his miss could be huge for our FF line. He's a very impressive operator.

I think we have to engineer the team to get Bradley and Brennan in from the start. This is do or die and we seen in other games the more advanced/focused forward play compared to us. We started with McAliskey, Brennan and Bradley versus Monaghan. How do we do it in Ballybofey. My thoughts on the team would be...

Morgan
McKernan
Hampsey (on Murphy)
HP McGeary
McCann
Burns
Harte
Colm
R Donnelly
Donnelly
Sludden
Meyler
Bradley
McAliskey
Brennan

I was thinking why we didn't see L Brennan on Saturday and only conclusion is he has had a minor setback or, more likely, Harte thought our gameplan for the last 10 minutes wasn't going to suit his game so held off to give him a full two weeks further recovery.

Lee Brennan won't start the Donegal game, and it would be too much to ask him to start a game like that after going 3 months with zero game time whatsoever. I like the look of your team except I'd have McShane starting instead of Brennan. Although I am also mindful that this would leave us with very few actual defenders on the pitch considering that Harte is basically a forward whilst Burns and McCann are also quite attacking players.

I also wouldn't rule out McNamee being fit to start. It just looked like he got a heavy kick on the leg so it could end up just being bruising.

Rois

WT4E

Haven't had much time to catch up on the Tyrone Dublin chat thread. But in my opinion Colm Cavanagh's role is now pointless. He was very good at playing that role but I think we need to move away from that system and I think unfortunately for Colm C he seems to just be too well programmed and I think he can't offer what we need going forward.

I think one of the biggest turning points in the game was when McClure came on and drove us on. I would be in favour of him starting ahead of Cavanagh and also a new partner could be required as Hampsey was awful against Dublin (Great player so I would just move him back to replace McNamee). I know thats a long shot to change midfleld totally at this stage in the year but it could give Tyrone a further edge.

J70

Think Tyrone would be four or five point favourites going into this, even with home advantage for us. The loss of McBrearty will be felt here as we need some muscle inside to vary things instead of running into the Tyrone phalanx and getting turned over on the 50. Tyrone penned us in last year as well in that devastating second quarter, although the change of keeper has definitely improved us on that front. But I would expect McHugh and Murphy to be well shackled and with Paddy out too, other players are really going to have to stand up, many of them inexperienced, so I wouldn't be too confident going into this. Getting possession and working scoring opportunities are not going to be easy, which means Murphy will be pulled out the field, leaving us seriously lacking inside. Biggest ever championship game in Ballybofey as well. Hopefully the boys surprise us.

omagh_gael

I'd love to see us drop the double sweeper approach and use Burns dropping back and hold Colm further up the pitch. Not one team used a full time sweeper in any of the other games. Surely it'd make sense to have one man drop back when the opposition gain possession. Use Burns in traditional CHB spot when we have the ball and let him drop back 15/20 yards when we lose it with Colm filling the CHB spot.

We need to go for this game early doors. I don't see the reasoning why we should be cautious. Get Bradley on from the start and Lee on early in 2nd half if he's not 100% to start yet. We hammered them last year when they had McBrearty and we, arguably, are a better team than last year. Donegal have only beat one Division 1 team all year (Kildare by 2) and have had an easy run through Ulster.

I'm going for a 4 point Tyrone win. No point beating about the bush.

Maroon Manc

The bookies have both teams at even money.

Jinxy

Quote from: RedHand88 on July 23, 2018, 12:05:21 AM
Rumour has it Donegal have narrowed the stairway tunnel in Ballybofey to disrupt Tyrone.

I heard they're going to make the pitch shorter by 6m so Michael Murphy doesn't have to do as much running.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Therealdonald

Quote from: omagh_gael on July 23, 2018, 07:13:14 PM
I'd love to see us drop the double sweeper approach and use Burns dropping back and hold Colm further up the pitch. Not one team used a full time sweeper in any of the other games. Surely it'd make sense to have one man drop back when the opposition gain possession. Use Burns in traditional CHB spot when we have the ball and let him drop back 15/20 yards when we lose it with Colm filling the CHB spot.

We need to go for this game early doors. I don't see the reasoning why we should be cautious. Get Bradley on from the start and Lee on early in 2nd half if he's not 100% to start yet. We hammered them last year when they had McBrearty and we, arguably, are a better team than last year. Donegal have only beat one Division 1 team all year (Kildare by 2) and have had an easy run through Ulster.

I'm going for a 4 point Tyrone win. No point beating about the bush.

Seen it said above about Colly Cav going off and us playing freely, Burns also went off at the same stage. Burns playing CHB is a non-starter as he can't mark a man. Good as a sweeper but nowt else. Glad to see Hampsey going to 3 if McNamee hurt. Id say the forward line will stay the same. Donegal's defence are big strong quick men, no point sending in Bradley or Lee Brennan against them untill it opens up.

redzone

Quote from: bigpackiechestout on July 23, 2018, 03:19:32 PM
Quote from: omagh_gael on July 23, 2018, 02:31:58 PM

Morgan
McKernan
Hampsey (on Murphy)
HP McGeary
McCann
Burns
Harte
Colm
R Donnelly
Donnelly
Sludden
Meyler
Bradley
McAliskey
Brennan

Lee Brennan won't start the Donegal game, and it would be too much to ask him to start a game like that after going 3 months with zero game time whatsoever. I like the look of your team except I'd have McShane starting instead of Brennan. Although I am also mindful that this would leave us with very few actual defenders on the pitch considering that Harte is basically a forward whilst Burns and McCann are also quite attacking players.

I also wouldn't rule out McNamee being fit to start. It just looked like he got a heavy kick on the leg so it could end up just being bruising.

I'd have Kieran mcgeary in for meyler. Brennan prob won't be fit to start so McShane in there,who I thought played well on Saturday. Harte won't abandon collys role at this stage. A lot of posters seem to fear this donegal team, I don't think they have a patch on the team that mcguiness had