Previous topic - Next topic

?

?
62 (89.9%)
?
7 (10.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

illdecide

Celtic were poor last night and more so in the first half where they couldn't get near an Anderlecht player, a few changes at half time and a talking too def seemed to work as they were much improved in the 2nd half. To be fair their goal was an OG and Celtic didn't look like conceding after that, BR also changed shape at HT (better tactics). BR also stated afterwards that some of his players think they're CL players but would need to improve, that's the first time I've heard BR criticize his players (in public anyway). He does know he needs more quality in his team to compete at a higher level but we can't just do this over night and i'm sure after to CL campaigns he now knows who needs replacing and who's worth building a team around.

Sutton and Hartson were good craic afterwards in post match interview, big Hartson didn't let Sutton have his way and gave better back.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

ned

Quote from: illdecide on December 06, 2017, 09:33:14 AM
Celtic were poor last night and more so in the first half where they couldn't get near an Anderlecht player, a few changes at half time and a talking too def seemed to work as they were much improved in the 2nd half. To be fair their goal was an OG and Celtic didn't look like conceding after that, BR also changed shape at HT (better tactics). BR also stated afterwards that some of his players think they're CL players but would need to improve, that's the first time I've heard BR criticize his players (in public anyway). He does know he needs more quality in his team to compete at a higher level but we can't just do this over night and i'm sure after to CL campaigns he now knows who needs replacing and who's worth building a team around.

Sutton and Hartson were good craic afterwards in post match interview, big Hartson didn't let Sutton have his way and gave better back.

Great summary. I think we have about seven players who are worth persevering with as first teamers. I include Gordon in that as, unless we spend big money or unearth a gem, we won't get better for our budget. I reckon at least five players needed.

T Fearon

It is disconcerting that we have lost the last five champions league home group games.Where is the blood and thunder performances (the atmosphere during the game last night was like Arsenal's Library) inspired by the crowd, that Strachan and Lennon could engender to see off the likes of Man Utd and Barcelona and even get to the last 16, which we are a million miles from at present.

I do agree with Sutton,the players don't have the self belief or confidence but how could they,after being beaten 7-1 last time out.

Not so long ago,third place in the group and a Europa League place would have been the minimum expected and would have been a very poor consolation,now it seems to be the only target before a ball is kicked.

tonto1888

Quote from: T Fearon on December 06, 2017, 02:13:07 PM
It is disconcerting that we have lost the last five champions league home group games.Where is the blood and thunder performances (the atmosphere during the game last night was like Arsenal's Library) inspired by the crowd, that Strachan and Lennon could engender to see off the likes of Man Utd and Barcelona and even get to the last 16, which we are a million miles from at present.

I do agree with Sutton,the players don't have the self belief or confidence but how could they,after being beaten 7-1 last time out.

Not so long ago,third place in the group and a Europa League place would have been the minimum expected and would have been a very poor consolation,now it seems to be the only target before a ball is kicked.

when you seen our group you would have known that Europa was the best we could have gotten

illdecide

I listened to their debate last night and TBH i was agreeing with both of them (if that makes sense), you can't expect a £2 million player to be better than a £200 million player but at the same time you can't sit back and admire them you have to get into them...the only problem with that is the Ref's in the CL will hammer you, back in the day you could have clattered someone in first tackle just to let them know you were there but you can't get away with that nowadays so the £200 million player knows he can show his skills and he'll not end up in row Z...It's a tough campaign this CL these days and the only way to improve is spend and then spend some more but i do agree with Celtic not going beyond their means, we will never win CL again (unless hole falls out of it and the big guns go bankrupt) so if we can compete a bit better in Europe and give the fans something more to cheer about that'll be good enough for me...HH

Applesisapples

I enjoyed Celtic's second half performance last night. They showed guts and no little skill on the ball considering the value of the team in footballing terms. They rode their luck in the first half and the goal was unlucky. Celtic fans need to be realistic as to their expectations. There are PL teams struggling in the EL with bigger budgets than Celtic. So well done to BR and the team they did what was required.

ned

Quote from: Applesisapples on December 06, 2017, 04:45:06 PM
I enjoyed Celtic's second half performance last night. They showed guts and no little skill on the ball considering the value of the team in footballing terms. They rode their luck in the first half and the goal was unlucky. Celtic fans need to be realistic as to their expectations. There are PL teams struggling in the EL with bigger budgets than Celtic. So well done to BR and the team they did what was required.

There's no room for calm and measured posts on this forum, what are you thinking?  ;D
Anderlecht have a bigger budget than us. If we better teams like that, I'm happy. We got a bollocks of a group for the second year in a row. I would have fancied us in the Liverpool or Man U groups to have made a play for second.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: ned on December 06, 2017, 05:43:12 PM

There's no room for calm and measured posts on this forum, what are you thinking?  ;D
Anderlecht have a bigger budget than us. If we better teams like that, I'm happy. We got a bollocks of a group for the second year in a row. I would have fancied us in the Liverpool or Man U groups to have made a play for second.

Bigger budget than Celtic? Belgium league?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

T Fearon

Inter Milan had a massively bigger budget than Celtic in 1967.

Looks like a draw against a European giant awaits in the Europa League,which doesn't augur well for progress

tonto1888

Quote from: T Fearon on December 07, 2017, 05:35:27 AM
Inter Milan had a massively bigger budget than Celtic in 1967.

Looks like a draw against a European giant awaits in the Europa League,which doesn't augur well for progress

what were the two budgets?

HiMucker

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 06, 2017, 09:02:24 PM
Quote from: ned on December 06, 2017, 05:43:12 PM

Bigger budget than Celtic? Belgium league?
Celtic are worth E57.8 mil,  Anderlecht are worth E100.85.

Milltown Row2

Ground capacity of Anderlecht is 21,000, they must generate money from transfers, merchandise , tv?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

illdecide

Celtic have always got a tough group in CL (seeding doesn't help).

Jasus Tony 67? I know Inter had and prob always will have a bigger budget than Celtic but Celtic were one of the top teams in the World then and for a decade after too.

Dunno where BR got his info from but i did hear him saying Anderlecht had a bigger budget than Celtic's...

StGallsGAA

Good comeback by Hibs and fair play to Lennon.  Celtic did a Liverpool!

T Fearon

Ambrose causes an opposition goal agsinst Celtic! How many times?😂😂