Unionist Outreach in Craigavon

Started by Ulick, June 06, 2012, 11:25:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

Quote from: themac_23 on November 25, 2021, 08:48:57 AM
Quote from: lurganblue on November 24, 2021, 08:35:30 PM
Yes Lurgan Celtic approached the council with regards to the lease of the pitch and instigated this. That's my understanding having spoken with Traceys ones. Open to being corrected...

I dont see how it would be Lurgan Celtics fault, they asked about leasing the facility if it was fit for their purpose, to be fit for their purpose and for the league they're gonna be playing in it has to meet certain criteria, so I assume LC approached the council said they would take the lease of the facility if X,Y,Z is met. The ball is then in the councils court, LC are looking out for their interests. this isnt anything to do with them

So it is OK if GAA club identifies two soccer pitches somewhere, in use by someone else, and goes to the council and say give us those pitches?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Milltown Row2

Quote from: armaghniac on November 25, 2021, 10:46:34 AM
Yes Lurgan Celtic approached the council with regards to the lease of the pitch and instigated this. That's my understanding having spoken with Traceys ones. Open to being corrected...

I dont see how it would be Lurgan Celtics fault, they asked about leasing the facility if it was fit for their purpose, to be fit for their purpose and for the league they're gonna be playing in it has to meet certain criteria, so I assume LC approached the council said they would take the lease of the facility if X,Y,Z is met. The ball is then in the councils court, LC are looking out for their interests. this isnt anything to do with them

So it is OK if GAA club identifies two soccer pitches somewhere, in use by someone else, and goes to the council and say give us those pitches?

I suppose it depends on who runs the council
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

lurganblue

How is this the case if they made the approach for the change?  They set the wheels in motion.

Lurgan isnt short of community soccer pitches either.  For once, they finally had 1 community GAA pitch.

themac_23

Quote from: lurganblue on November 25, 2021, 11:19:56 AM

How is this the case if they made the approach for the change?  They set the wheels in motion.

Lurgan isnt short of community soccer pitches either.  For once, they finally had 1 community GAA pitch.

But if they take the lease then they are funding it themselves? its about them looking for somewhere they can call their own, im sure they have a business plan in place and have approached the council, if it is viable and they accept it then it will be up to the council to try and accommodate a GAA facility elsewhere, its nothing to do with Lurgan Celtic, to make it viable for them they need certain criteria to be met. if that means it cant host GAA then thats on the council to make that decision, its nothing to do with Lurgan Celtic.

Example, if you're renting a house and the landlord decides to sell and someone buys it, is it the buyers fault you're out of your house or is it the landlord who sold it?

themac_23

Quote from: armaghniac on November 25, 2021, 10:46:34 AM

Yes, if they are proposing to take over a lease of the facility then yeah of course they can ask the question, again that facility would be no use to the GAA team as it stands so would have to be changed, so it would be up to the council to make that call, but the GAA club would have zero fault in that scenario.

johnnycool

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 25, 2021, 10:17:47 AM
Quote from: johnnycool on November 25, 2021, 10:06:58 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 25, 2021, 08:39:00 AM
Quote from: johnnycool on November 25, 2021, 08:03:09 AM
Quote from: grounded on November 24, 2021, 09:32:08 PM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on November 24, 2021, 02:29:15 PM
Quote from: lurganblue on November 24, 2021, 01:53:15 PM
Quote from: general_lee on November 24, 2021, 01:09:09 PM
ABC carrying on the proud legacy left by Craigavon Borough Council...

https://www.armaghi.com/news/lurgan-news/lurgan-hurling-club-sean-traceys-member-to-take-legal-action-against-council-over-use-of-gaa-pitch/150092

The sad thing is, after all the work Sean Traceys put in to get this area suitable for GAA, it's actually Lurgan Celtic who are forcing the change.  Lurgan is not short of community football pitches.

Antrim Borough Council being just as inclusive....

https://www.irishnews.com/news/northernirelandnews/2021/11/24/news/criticism-after-antrim-athletics-venue-renamed-centenary-stadium-2517122/

Sad. Reaching out the hand of friendship once again.

New Leisure Centre in Newtownards called the "Blair Mayne Wellbeing and Leisure Complex"..

Do you think it's because he played rugby for Ireland like a few others from the area?

Its strange they didn't use his proper name as he was called... Paddy Mayne by his friends, the English

They've a statue of him outside the town hall, not sure what is inscribed on it, couldn't be arsed looking and also a road named after him...

Think I read somewhere he hated the place  ;D

He crashed his car and the locals were to afraid to go to him and that's how he died, well that's how the story goes...

He was very rarely named Blair Mayne, isn't their a film coming out shortly?

To be fair, he was a Lions player also, obviously sporting things were cut short because of the war, his story (if told well) should be very good

So were Phil Matthews and Nigel Carr who are associated with the local area yet no roads or leisure centres named after them....

Davy Tweed also played for Ards Rugby for a while as well, he'll be getting a plaque up somewhere I'm sure.  ;)

general_lee

It begs the questions
1. Why would Lurgan Celtic enquire about tannaghmore, knowing full well Seán Treacy's have been using it for the last 5 years?
2. Why would ABC council even consider it, knowing full well Seán Treacy's have been using it for the last 5 years
3. Why did ABC council not think to tell Seán Treacy's another party was enquiring about the lease, at the same time there was a tender out to erect goalposts and catch-nets?

themac_23

Quote from: general_lee on November 25, 2021, 12:01:32 PM
It begs the questions
1. Why would Lurgan Celtic enquire about tannaghmore, knowing full well Seán Treacy's have been using it for the last 5 years?
2. Why would ABC council even consider it, knowing full well Seán Treacy's have been using it for the last 5 years
3. Why did ABC council not think to tell Seán Treacy's another party was enquiring about the lease, at the same time there was a tender out to erect goalposts and catch-nets?

I dont really think there is an issue with point 1, I dont understand how ya can get annoyed at them making an enquiry, they have to look after their own interests, the fact another club has been using the facility for 5 years isnt their concern.

2 & 3 are very valid, on 2, they should be clearly thinking about the fact that GAA pitches are already over subscribed in the area, and if anything should be putting wheels in motion for more.

Point 3 would be my biggest thing, surely if there is a chance that they are going to lease the pitch out to LC then it would be a total waste of taxpayers money to get catch nets and Gaelic posts.

I am in no way saying this should be happening, my point is that the anger shouldn't be towards Lurgan Celtic, it should be towards the council. Making it out that this is LC basically evicting Sean Traceys will just add to bad blood between soccer and GAA.

NAG1

Is this not a case again of soccer clubs standing with their hands out waiting for tax payers to provide them with facilities?

Why if they want somewhere of 'their own' do they not fund raise and go and buy somewhere?

This attitude from soccer clubs of all hues of pure entitlement needs to be changed. Goes right from the top through the game, expecting tax payers to fund their past times.

general_lee

Quote from: themac_23 on November 25, 2021, 12:35:40 PM
It begs the questions

I dont really think there is an issue with point 1, I dont understand how ya can get annoyed at them making an enquiry, they have to look after their own interests, the fact another club has been using the facility for 5 years isnt their concern.

2 & 3 are very valid, on 2, they should be clearly thinking about the fact that GAA pitches are already over subscribed in the area, and if anything should be putting wheels in motion for more.

Point 3 would be my biggest thing, surely if there is a chance that they are going to lease the pitch out to LC then it would be a total waste of taxpayers money to get catch nets and Gaelic posts.

I am in no way saying this should be happening, my point is that the anger shouldn't be towards Lurgan Celtic, it should be towards the council. Making it out that this is LC basically evicting Sean Traceys will just add to bad blood between soccer and GAA.
Lurgan Celtic would always have had and continue to have a crossover of GAA players which makes it difficult to believe they'd seek out a facility that a GAA club has clearly been using.

tiempo

Quote from: general_lee on November 26, 2021, 08:11:55 AM
It begs the questions

Lurgan Celtic would always have had and continue to have a crossover of GAA players which makes it difficult to believe they'd seek out a facility that a GAA club has clearly been using.

The ethos in groundball is inherently transient, its no surprise in a code where players might play for 5 different clubs locally in their playing days that clubs themselves also think little of tramping over others. Seen a video last night of the new Ballinderry community hub, I'd say its better equipped than anything belonging to the freeloaders in the IFA/FAI

nrico2006

Quote from: general_lee on November 26, 2021, 08:11:55 AM
It begs the questions

Don't know a lot about the specifics, but there is no way that Lurgan Celtic would not have known that the hurling club have been using Tannaghmore Gardens as their base, especially given the erection of the posts and new catching nets etc.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'