Teachers get it handy!

Started by wherefromreferee?, June 20, 2008, 08:49:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrdeeds

The major problem with Special Education is that students are not getting OT, speech therapy and various important assessments face to face and teachers instead to pick up slack. These students have been denied these for years by cutbacks and poor services provided by state so to put all this on teachers now is laughable.

JimStynes

I think it's a crap excuse for teachers to cry about face masks but I haven't heard any of my colleagues or any of my friends in other schools cry about face masks. If this is a thing the unions are going on about then they need to catch themselves on. You can buy a face mask for a few quid ffs.

Special schools are a different story altogether and they have very close contact with pupils. I know the local special school that my nephew attends have been totally plagued with covid cases. They had to close classes and sections of the school off on a weekly basis. My sister has ended up keeping him home for fear of him getting covid as he has a heart condition thst means he is high risk. The staff in here definitely need to be protected and so do the children.

mrdeeds

Quote from: JimStynes on January 20, 2021, 03:32:38 PM
I think it's a crap excuse for teachers to cry about face masks but I haven't heard any of my colleagues or any of my friends in other schools cry about face masks. If this is a thing the unions are going on about then they need to catch themselves on. You can buy a face mask for a few quid ffs.

Special schools are a different story altogether and they have very close contact with pupils. I know the local special school that my nephew attends have been totally plagued with covid cases. They had to close classes and sections of the school off on a weekly basis. My sister has ended up keeping him home for fear of him getting covid as he has a heart condition thst means he is high risk. The staff in here definitely need to be protected and so do the children.

The issue at the moment is special educational schools though. SNAs need proper PPE as they do personal care needs for one thing.

Estimator

Quote from: mackers on January 20, 2021, 02:33:51 PM
Itchy is going over the top in some of the things he's said but one of the main points that I agree with him on is the lack of a proactive response from the teacher's unions to see how best things can work in a classroom.  Remote learning is only marginally better than nothing.  The teacher's unions sound like the DUP in basically saying no to everything.  Engage with the Education Authority ( and it's equivalent in the south) and let's see how we can get more children into the schools whilst minimising the risk to the teaching staff.  Everyone involved has had from March to get things organised but from the outside looking in this has played out like a typical public sector/heavily unionised mess.

Over the summer (of 2020) a lot schools meticulously planned how things would work in the classroom. Speaking to a few teachers working in different schools, this generally involved limiting class sizes, operating week on/week off, or 3 days in/ 2 days out (for students, not teachers)From memory Unions backed those sort of proposals, but the minister said no.
Haven't spoken to one teacher who enjoys trying to use Google meet etc. They'd all rather be in school. Not saying they're not out there. But I've yet to meet one.
Ulster League Champions 2009

Itchy

Quote from: mrdeeds on January 20, 2021, 03:06:09 PM
Quote from: Itchy on January 20, 2021, 11:46:54 AM
Quote from: johnnycool on January 20, 2021, 10:46:05 AM
Quote from: trailer on January 20, 2021, 10:10:09 AM
Unions definitely the reason the schools are closed in the North. I know the pressure they put on certain MLA's who then in turn basically used it as a political football to attack Weir. Same with the 11+. Interesting those same MLA's never once criticised the schools for using the exam which is the crux of the issue.
There is no plan to even open schools even when infections drop. It would appear schools will remain closed until Covid is completely eradicated. Answers on a postcard when that will be. Meanwhile the gap between the have's and have nots gets larger.

I know of one leading Grammar school in Belfast where they'd almost 160 kids and 14 teachers out either from testing positive for Covid or isolating due to being in close contact with someone who'd tested positive in the school environment in the lead up to Christmas.

If it got any worse they were going to have to close unilaterally due to the lack of teachers but sure schools don't spread it.

How many deaths did we having in the North yesterday, just the 24 was it?

Again, these are outliers and this can happen. When it happens it is correct to close the school. However, the important thing to understand is a "school" didnt spread the covid. It was more likely than not caused by the behaviour of a person or people in that building. People are people in all walks of life they will not follow the rules. Its not a reason to shut the world down though.

And yet everywhere is shut down? This reads like guns don't kill, people do. School is third highest source of spread after home and retail setting. I know of a SNA is school in Dublin in their 40s that died of Covid over Christmas with no previous health issues.

Everywhere is not shut down, open your eyes. Let me take 2 minutes out to help teachers and cos if that is all they need here is the answer....

1- PPE. If government is not providing it (which is seriously doubt). Then each School should ask their board of management to secure it. In turn parents could then be asked to help. I am certain, 100% certain that the parents of kids would happily contribute to the purchase of PPE given that you can get a mask for a cloth mask for a euro or two and a bottle of IPA the same.
2- Definition of Close Contact - Face to Face, indoors, within 1 meter for a combined duration of 15 minutes. In my place of work we went more conservative at 2m, each school could decide based on their own areas
3- Track and Trace is part of the HSE role. In my place of work however we developed our own track and trace where we phone anyone that is off with COVID, ask them had they a close contact and if they had we phone the close contact and tell them not to come in. This is not instead of the HSE, its as well as the HSE.

Takes a bit of work, takes a bit of effort but it can be done. Better than sitting on your hole waiting for someone to do it for you. PS - we had no one from HSE or elsewhere come into our plant to tell us how to do this.

mrdeeds

Quote from: Itchy on January 20, 2021, 03:59:37 PM
Unions definitely the reason the schools are closed in the North. I know the pressure they put on certain MLA's who then in turn basically used it as a political football to attack Weir. Same with the 11+. Interesting those same MLA's never once criticised the schools for using the exam which is the crux of the issue.
There is no plan to even open schools even when infections drop. It would appear schools will remain closed until Covid is completely eradicated. Answers on a postcard when that will be. Meanwhile the gap between the have's and have nots gets larger.

I know of one leading Grammar school in Belfast where they'd almost 160 kids and 14 teachers out either from testing positive for Covid or isolating due to being in close contact with someone who'd tested positive in the school environment in the lead up to Christmas.

If it got any worse they were going to have to close unilaterally due to the lack of teachers but sure schools don't spread it.

Again, these are outliers and this can happen. When it happens it is correct to close the school. However, the important thing to understand is a "school" didnt spread the covid. It was more likely than not caused by the behaviour of a person or people in that building. People are people in all walks of life they will not follow the rules. Its not a reason to shut the world down though.

And yet everywhere is shut down? This reads like guns don't kill, people do. School is third highest source of spread after home and retail setting. I know of a SNA is school in Dublin in their 40s that died of Covid over Christmas with no previous health issues.

Everywhere is not shut down, open your eyes. Let me take 2 minutes out to help teachers and cos if that is all they need here is the answer....

1- PPE. If government is not providing it (which is seriously doubt). Then each School should ask their board of management to secure it. In turn parents could then be asked to help. I am certain, 100% certain that the parents of kids would happily contribute to the purchase of PPE given that you can get a mask for a cloth mask for a euro or two and a bottle of IPA the same.
2- Definition of Close Contact - Face to Face, indoors, within 1 meter for a combined duration of 15 minutes. In my place of work we went more conservative at 2m, each school could decide based on their own areas
3- Track and Trace is part of the HSE role. In my place of work however we developed our own track and trace where we phone anyone that is off with COVID, ask them had they a close contact and if they had we phone the close contact and tell them not to come in. This is not instead of the HSE, its as well as the HSE.

Takes a bit of work, takes a bit of effort but it can be done. Better than sitting on your hole waiting for someone to do it for you. PS - we had no one from HSE or elsewhere come into our plant to tell us how to do this.

So a face bask is ok for a SNA doing personal care needs?

Itchy

Quote from: mrdeeds on January 20, 2021, 04:34:24 PM

Perhaps a visor in combination when you are very close. I am sure if the SNA picked up the phone and rang a doctor they would find out. But that would take a bit of get up and go wouldnt it.

restorepride

Are you referring to teachers here.  I am a teacher.

restorepride

Quote from: mrdeeds on January 20, 2021, 04:34:24 PM

[/quote
This is the danger of letting amateurs make decisions.

JimStynes

Itchy if you think you can maintain 2m distancing in school then you haven't a clue what you're talking about.

restorepride

Quote from: JimStynes on January 20, 2021, 05:04:16 PM
Itchy if you think you can maintain 2m distancing in school then you haven't a clue what you're talking about.
Exactly.

tonto1888

Best ignored mate.

Itchy

Quote from: restorepride on January 20, 2021, 04:53:35 PM

Are you referring to teachers here.  I am a teacher.

Yes thats exactly who I am referring to, in general, as I know of many who came into schools during the summer and got it ready for life with covid. They were the minority. So apologies for generalising but there's not much point doing otherwise when the people who supposedly represent you are acting so horrendously.

As for me being an amateur, thats true. But me and people like me, that tried to get our work colleagues through this pandemic that none of us were prepared for are proud to say we have kept the spread of Covid out out of our facility.

Itchy

I never said you should keep 2m. You are a teacher right? I assume that qualifies you to read and comprehend. I gave you a rock solid definition of close contact as it seems impossible for you to figure it out yourselves. 1m, indoor, face to face for a combined total of 15m.

This is the problem some of you shower. No matter what anyone says to ye, you will find a problem with it. All you see is problems, not solutions.

JimStynes

Quote from: Itchy on January 20, 2021, 05:11:15 PM

I never said you should keep 2m. You are a teacher right? I assume that qualifies you to read and comprehend. I gave you a rock solid definition of close contact as it seems impossible for you to figure it out yourselves. 1m, indoor, face to face for a combined total of 15m.

This is the problem some of you shower. No matter what anyone says to ye, you will find a problem with it. All you see is problems, not solutions.

Ok, give me your definition of what we would do in school to maintain social distancing? You're making a dick of yourself on here.