The Horse racing thread

Started by maddog, December 19, 2006, 03:02:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boojangles

I always consider Paul Carberry and Timmy Murphy as hold-up merchants. Leaving it til the last minute to make the move. Alot of times it doesn't pay off, like yesterday.
Give me Barry Geraghty any day.
I'l be backing him on St Devote tonight at Kilbeggan. Should win.

winsamsoon

Backed Geraghty last fri on board mossley joe, the horse was going well popped over the second last and slipped . Disaster .

Murphy is a hold up jockey and i am not an expert on jockies but i thought he had timed the run on St killlian to perfection but his decision to cut in was in hindsight the wrong one.
I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.

beer baron

Donnellys Hollow

It's far too easy to pigeon hole jockeys. Most of the top lads are adept at riding all sorts of races. Carberry is often described as a hold-up jockey but I personally think he has few equals on a front runner. The biggest error a jockey can make is hitting the front and committing for home too soon IMO. There's only one post that you have to pass in front and that's the winning post.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

boojangles

Quote from: beer baron on June 20, 2011, 02:13:24 PM
Carberry's a genius!

Thats where me and you differ Beer Baron..... :D

Who in your opinion DH would consistently be the best NH jockey at the moment?

beer baron

Quote from: boojangles on June 20, 2011, 06:07:47 PM
Carberry's a genius!

Yeah a lot of the lads say i'm mad but i think he's a master,he gets the odd horse beat when using hold up tactics but his ability to get a horse enjoying himself is second to none,he cost me the biggest bet of my life on hesaposer last year,coming from about 20 lengths back to half a length in about the last 2 furlongs,i wasn't impressed and neither was Elliott but these things happen and i know if i was to try land a plunge some day i'd want him on board!

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: boojangles on June 20, 2011, 06:07:47 PM
Carberry's a genius!

Walsh is an absolute master. Probably the best I've ever seen. People often say that he's nearly always riding the most talented horses but he has earned that position. He's peerless IMO.

To be honest, I don't think there's that much difference between the top 10-15 lads. I'd have no qualms about backing any horse ridden by the likes of McCoy, Russell, Geraghty, Johnson, Townend, Carberry, McNamara, Lee, Brennan etc.

Onlooker

Quote from: boojangles on June 20, 2011, 01:54:50 PM
I always consider Paul Carberry and Timmy Murphy as hold-up merchants. Leaving it til the last minute to make the move. Alot of times it doesn't pay off, like yesterday.
I was lucky enough to have a share in a horse that won 2 Grade 2 hurdle races ridden by Timmy Murphy in 2006.   She led for every yard in both races and Timmy gave a super ride on both occasions.  He could ride winners from the front or from off the pace.  Top class jockey and very genuine fellow.  Maybe he is winding down as a jockey, but I would love to have him riding any horse that I was involved with.

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Onlooker on June 20, 2011, 08:23:19 PM
I was lucky enough to have a share in a horse that won 2 Grade 2 hurdle races ridden by Timmy Murphy in 2006.   She led for every yard in both races and Timmy gave a super ride on both occasions.  He could ride winners from the front or from off the pace.  Top class jockey and very genuine fellow.  Maybe he is winding down as a jockey, but I would love to have him riding any horse that I was involved with.

Celestial Wave Onlooker?? Tragic what happened her in the end.

I think owners and punters look at things very differently. The last thing an owner wants is his young inexperienced horse having a bad experience in a bumper or a maiden hurdle, whereas a punter who has his hard earned on wants the same horse to get the McCoy treatment.

beer baron

Carberry doing the business this evening!  :)

Donnellys Hollow

Speaking of jockeys, Hughesie could be in hot water over at Windsor. Very nasty incident.

AZOffaly

Just watching that. Lucky no one was hurt. And the race before in Chepstow had a horse come across from the rail and concertina the whole field, ruined the race.

Not a great evening for jocks

bridge fan

carberry is class the only thing is ya never know what the horse has left when he is riding

Onlooker

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on June 20, 2011, 08:32:34 PM
Quote from: Onlooker on June 20, 2011, 08:23:19 PM

Celestial Wave Onlooker?? Tragic what happened her in the end.

I think owners and punters look at things very differently. The last thing an owner wants is his young inexperienced horse having a bad experience in a bumper or a maiden hurdle, whereas a punter who has his hard earned on wants the same horse to get the McCoy treatment.
It was Celestial Wave all right and it was heartbreaking at the time, but some great memories all the same.

Muzz

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on June 20, 2011, 08:46:24 PM
Speaking of jockeys, Hughesie could be in hot water over at Windsor. Very nasty incident.

7 days 4th to 10th July out of Newmarket meeting.