The Horse racing thread

Started by maddog, December 19, 2006, 03:02:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donnellys Hollow

Might just be me, but I have it in my head that Seville will end up as more of a Leger horse.

I'm still hoping that Pour Moi will take his chance. Looks a very open Epsom Derby this year with Godolphin predictably after making a pigs ear of both Casamento and Dubai Prince's winter preparations. We should know more in about a half an hour.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Candyman

Money coming for Pintura @ 3pm all morning. Hope Aiden Forken and Groucho go large ;-)

Donnellys Hollow

Farcical race. They only hacked for the first six furlongs.

Seville travelled like the best horse in the race but he clearly lacks gears. A stronger pace at Epsom will suit but I'd be surprised if there isn't two or three colts around that will do him for boot. I guess it increases the chances of Pour Moi running.

Groucho

Justonefortheroad already done 8)
I like to see the fairways more narrow, then everyone would have to play from the rough, not just me

Candyman

Think we both need the road after that... Although I did place better!!

Sea The Stars

Seville and Recital both have their quirks - very fast the two of them but between awkward head carriages and suspect resolution, I'd question if their hearts are all in it. It'll take a bit of Aidan magic followed by a Fallon drive or Soumillion's delicate touch to get either to win at Epsom. My guess is that Roderic O'Connor could still run in the Derby, although the Irish Guineas is also in the mix. His performances last season marked him as more of a stayer as opposed to a miler.

Carlton House clearly looks very smart and may end up as more of a ten furlong horse, worthy Derby favourite tonight however. I wonder if Henry Cecil will re-think his strategy with Frankel, given World Domination's run today. There's nothing to gain by running in the James Palace, yet everything to lose, yet there's everything to gain by winning a Derby.

illdecide

Tell me this folks and in particular DH, would you guys prefer the winter racing with the jumps than the flat summer racing and would it be easier to pick winners from jumps than the sprints (even though you'd think with jumps there is more at risk with falls).
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Donnellys Hollow

Having tried (and failed miserably!) to be an amateur jumps jockey, I have to say my preference is for the National Hunt.

I personally find punting on the winter game is easier but there'll be many better judges than me who will disagree. Although the 8+ obstacles that a horse has to jump in a NH race might make it somewhat harder to predict, there are many if not more variables on the flat. Draw biases at certain tracks are a major variable and I think issues like pace and ground have more of an impact on the flat. I also think jockeyship is more important on the flat. NH race are generally run over longer distances, on bigger tracks, and have less runners so the fields tend to become more strung out. It is much easier for a horse (well a jockey...) to encounter traffic problems on the flat as a result.

You also have to factor in the horses themselves. Geldings running over jumps tend to be older and more relaxed than colts running on the flat, who naturally enough have other things on their minds! They are less highly strung and are much more likely to hold their form for longer.

I have worked for a handful of flat yards so I do have an interest in it (particularly the bloodstock side of it) but there's no contest between Punchestown in the middle of winter and the Curragh in high summer, as far as I'm concerned.

rossie mad

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on May 12, 2011, 11:52:40 PM
Having tried (and failed miserably!) to be an amateur jumps jockey, I have to say my preference is for the National Hunt.

I personally find punting on the winter game is easier but there'll be many better judges than me who will disagree. Although the 8+ obstacles that a horse has to jump in a NH race might make it somewhat harder to predict, there are many if not more variables on the flat. Draw biases at certain tracks are a major variable and I think issues like pace and ground have more of an impact on the flat. I also think jockeyship is more important on the flat. NH race are generally run over longer distances, on bigger tracks, and have less runners so the fields tend to become more strung out. It is much easier for a horse (well a jockey...) to encounter traffic problems on the flat as a result.

You also have to factor in the horses themselves. Geldings running over jumps tend to be older and more relaxed than colts running on the flat, who naturally enough have other things on their minds! They are less highly strung and are much more likely to hold their form for longer.

I have worked for a handful of flat yards so I do have an interest in it (particularly the bloodstock side of it) but there's no contest between Punchestown in the middle of winter and the Curragh in high summer, as far as I'm concerned.

Exactly no contest in my mind.
I get more of a buzz watching NH or going to winter weekend meetings than anything the flat has to offer.
I enjoy both codes but for sheer excitement jumps does it for me.
however on the punting side of things i have to admit i seem to do better punting on flat racing during the summer than the jumps.Not that im any punting genius far from it but i would say i generally have more winners over the summer from flat racing than over the winter from jumps.

118cmal

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on May 12, 2011, 11:52:40 PM

DH, im intrigued by this.  What I know about horse racing could be written on the back of a postage stamp, but surely it takes more 'jockeyship' to guide a horse over fences than in the flat?

Candyman

Alright DH... A few fancies 2day to kick off the weekend :-D ???

beer baron

Was told a few weeks back to keep an eye out for geraldines Lass on the flat,she's down to run in Dundalk 8.30,first time in a Handicap and i'd say will get backed!
Worth small e/w bet! The same lad told me to look out for andalucia lady a while back and it won at 14/1 a week or 2 afterwards and this is the same stable training this horse.....

Candyman

Got word for Bubbly Ballerina in the 1st @ York. Fav is 7/4 on but u never know ;-)

beer baron

Quote from: Candyman on May 13, 2011, 12:38:43 PM
Got word for Bubbly Ballerina in the 1st @ York. Fav is 7/4 on but u never know ;-)

You sure it's at York?Can't see it anywhere!

Candyman