The Horse racing thread

Started by maddog, December 19, 2006, 03:02:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donnellys Hollow

Binocular out of the Champion. Ruby rides the Fly.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

maddog

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on March 11, 2011, 09:31:07 PM
Time to nail the colours to the mast so:

You can find fault with everything in the Gold Cup. Kauto Star and Denman are in decline and are both priced on past achievements rather than form. I like Imperial Commander but the vibes have not been positive recently and he's no spring chicken himself. Long Run clearly has an engine but I don't rate the jock and I can see him being roughed up Carvills Hill style. Kempes has done nothing wrong in the past twelve months but I can't have an Intikhab gelding out of a Royal Academy mare winning a Cheltenham Gold Cup. I always thought Pandorama would make a Gold Cup horse one day but he is ground dependent. He worked brilliantly at Leopardstown last week but if it's quick ground come next Friday, I'll be sitting this race out.

On The Fringe is a great e/w bet in the Foxhunters.

I'll post up my thoughts on the handicaps when the ground and running-plans become clearer. It should be a great 4 days.

What is your view on midnight chase in gold cup?

Donnellys Hollow

Very hard to believe he's be good enough to win but it's an open year and there's nearly always some slow old boat the plods on for a place in the Gold Cup - Mon Mome, Turpin Green, Forget The Past, Take The Stand, Truckers Tavern. He could well join that illustrious list!

Hardy

Quote from: maddog on March 13, 2011, 11:26:59 AM
What is your view on midnight chase in gold cup?

I know you weren't asking me, maddog but I have a strong fancy for Midnight Chase. For me, it's a bit of a toss-up to decide whether to overlook Imperial Commander and I've decided I will, simply on the basis that I THINK he's a notch below his best of last year. But I could be completely wrong.

But having decided that, you couldn't look past the second-season chasers for this year's winner. There are seven of them – China Rock, Kempes, Long Run, Midnight Chase, Pandorama, Synchronised and Weird Al.

Of all of them, I like Midnight Chase. Of course there are question marks about his real class – he has only been winning handicaps (albeit giving away piles of weight all around him on his last couple of wins) and he has never competed in anything like the company he'll have on Friday. But he has kept on winning and he's remarkably consistent – placed in 17 of his 20 starts and winning 11 of them.

But what sets him apart from the others for me is his Cheltenham record. He's run there six times, winning four and placed in the other two. He's won on his last four starts there. None of the other contenders can approach that sort of proven liking for the place.

He stays and stays, running the guts out of his field in his last few runs and seems to perform in all sorts of going. He's just the sort of horse that will give you every ounce and a run for your money every time.

I would have a worry about his jumping in a Gold Cup. He seems to have a couple of hairy moments in every race. On the other hand, the fact that he's never come down may mean he's handy on his feet and able to get out of trouble.

I think he's very good each way value at 15 or 16/1.

maddog

cheers for the opinions DH and Hardy, with all the question marks and stats against Kauto, Denman, Imperial Commander, id be looking for the EW alternative. Ive always liked Pandorama but on his one run over here he was ran off his feet and out the back very early. The ground will be interesting, very dry and sunny today so will be firming up the whole time. By Friday it could be officially Good going.

Donnellys Hollow

Over to you gents.

Am I the only one who is beginning to harbour slight concerns about the form of the Mullins string? Only one winner from the last twenty runners and eleven of those horses went off favourite.

Doogie Browser

Is no one going to do a tipping comp this year?  Some great work by Treasurer last year.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: Doogie Browser on March 14, 2011, 04:14:37 PM
Is no one going to do a tipping comp this year?  Some great work by Treasurer last year.

*Coughs loudly*
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on March 14, 2011, 04:32:49 PM

*Coughs loudly*

x2

Haven't the time myself to run it this year. Getting the ferry over later tonight.

Joxer

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on March 14, 2011, 04:34:21 PM
Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on March 14, 2011, 04:32:49 PM

*Coughs loudly*

x2

Haven't the time myself to run it this year. Getting the ferry over later tonight.

You better have access to the board from Prestbury Park DH or there will be a ban coming!   ;D

I think Captain Chris is a huge price at 9/1 tomorrow in the Arkle!

Doogie Browser

Sorry lads, no sense of organisational skills at all!!

DH we will be waiting patiently for your thoughts every day - no pressure!  Have a great time!

bamboo

Heading up myself on wednesday, was meant to go tomorrow as well but somethings come up unfortunately. Looking forward to it, i generally go at least one day each year and i'm generally successful enough.

Any final thoughts on the outstanding races before you head off DH? You must feel at times as though all the gamblers on the board are depending on you to win them some money!!

Midnight Chase for me in the big one on Friday although as i type its been rumoured that Dougie Costello has just broken his ankle!! He's off to hospital in an ambulance after a fall. Gutted for him as i have a vested interest in his rides as he knows my flatmate particularly well.

Donnellys Hollow

Agree re Captain Chris. Been having a look at the handicaps for tomorrow. Looks insanely difficult. I'm torn between Carole's Legacy and Reve De Sivola in the William Hill. Divers for Ferdy Murphy and Graham Lee in the last looks like he's been laid out for the festival.

Probably won't be on for the rest of the week. Sir Des Champs in the Conditionals Handicap (won't get into the Coral Cup) on Friday will probably be my biggest bet in the handicaps. Don't be too patriotic in the handicaps because most of ours look weighted to the hilt - Call The Police is one of the only fancied ones to be running near his Irish mark. Keep an eye out for the yards from the North of England. There's always two or three of them that go in at big odds every year in the supporting races.

That's a shame for Costello if it's true. I fancied him to have a big chance on Moonlight Drive in the three mile novice.

Candyman

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on March 14, 2011, 04:56:59 PM
Agree re Captain Chris. Been having a look at the handicaps for tomorrow. Looks insanely difficult. I'm torn between Carole's Legacy and Reve De Sivola in the William Hill. Divers for Ferdy Murphy and Graham Lee in the last looks like he's been laid out for the festival.

Probably won't be on for the rest of the week. Sir Des Champs in the Conditionals Handicap (won't get into the Coral Cup) on Friday will probably be my biggest bet in the handicaps. Don't be too patriotic in the handicaps because most of ours look weighted to the hilt - Call The Police is one of the only fancied ones to be running near his Irish mark. Keep an eye out for the yards from the North of England. There's always two or three of them that go in at big odds every year in the supporting races.

That's a shame for Costello if it's true. I fancied him to have a big chance on Moonlight Drive in the three mile novice.
;)

The Worker

Whats peoples doubles for tomorrow?

im going for Magens Star e/w @ 20s & Quevega double