The Horse racing thread

Started by maddog, December 19, 2006, 03:02:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bcarrier

The six year old stat isnt that strong. Only three six year olds have run in race in last 40yrs. Long Run form has been franked by Riverside Theatre at the weekend but my big concern would be that Cheltenham just isnt his track. The two trips there have ended in disappointing shows.

I would be backing Riverside Theatre for Gold Cup if he had been entered ( a shocking oversight by NJH) ... think it costs about £20K to supplement but doesnt seem to be on agenda at all.

maddog

Liked the look of Samain in the bumper yesterday at Naas, i wonder is that Cheltenham bound ? Also that other winner of Mullins Dare to Doubt looked like a horse going places.

Joxer

Donnellys Hollow

The Midnight Club is my long-term fancy for Liverpool but he looks a short enough price today. Could be worth a play in the antepost market before the off.

Really good cards at Huntingdon and Thurles tomorrow. Minella Class and Starluck (chasing debut) run at Huntingdon. Mullins should have another good day at Thurles - Quiscover Fontaine, Celtic Folklore and Mozoltov. I think Hidden Cyclone will beat Bishopsfurze and Crash though despite having to carry a penalty for his Leopardstown win.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Joxer

Aupcharlie in the bumper @ Fairyhouse.  Was 5/1,  stuck few pound each way on it but it could have come in since.

Joxer

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on February 23, 2011, 11:14:17 AM
The Midnight Club is my long-term fancy for Liverpool but he looks a short enough price today. Could be worth a play in the antepost market before the off.

That is some horse! Great bit of riding!

Candyman

Quote from: Joxer on February 23, 2011, 02:28:55 PM
Aupcharlie in the bumper @ Fairyhouse.  Was 5/1,  stuck few pound each way on it but it could have come in since.
The Fcuker

TacadoirArdMhacha

http://www.sportinglife.com/racing/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=racing/11/02/23/RACING_Maguire_Snap.html&BID=465

Jason Maguire to miss the ride on Peddler's Cross. Surely this ban is duplicitous, the 5 days ban is for marking the horse which was a result of excessive use of the whip, for which he has gotten an additional 2 days. One of the bans would have been more than sufficient surely?
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Donnellys Hollow

You'd feel sorry for Maguire, who is a good jockey - though nowhere near the level of his uncle who was one of the greatest of all time IMO!

The rules are the rules though and I wouldn't have been best pleased if I owned the horse in question. As Kieren Fallon once said: "whipping the shit out of a tired horse won't make it run any faster"

There's a certain hypocrisy there though. Maguire gets a ban for trying his hardest to win a race whereas Paul Carberry (who I'm a big fan of) gets a slap on the wrist for a howling error of judgement on Martin Scruff who was clearly the best horse in his race last week.

Should be interesting to see who picks up the ride on Peddlers Cross now:
Graham Lee - probably the favourite, rides frequently for McCain winning the Galway Hurdle for him last year
Brian Harding - picks up the odd ride for the yard
Timmy Murphy - without a ride in the race
Denis O'Regan - without a ride in the race
Adrian Lane - attached to the McCain yard and rides the horse in his work
Davy Russell - rode the horse before he ever went to England and without a ride in the race
Paul Carberry - unlikely to have a ride in the race
Paul Townend - unlikely to have a ride in the race

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on February 24, 2011, 09:09:27 AM
You'd feel sorry for Maguire, who is a good jockey - though nowhere near the level of his uncle who was one of the greatest of all time IMO!

The rules are the rules though and I wouldn't have been best pleased if I owned the horse in question. As Kieren Fallon once said: "whipping the shit out of a tired horse won't make it run any faster"

There's a certain hypocrisy there though. Maguire gets a ban for trying his hardest to win a race whereas Paul Carberry (who I'm a big fan of) gets a slap on the wrist for a howling error of judgement on Martin Scruff who was clearly the best horse in his race last week.

Should be interesting to see who picks up the ride on Peddlers Cross now:
Graham Lee - probably the favourite, rides frequently for McCain winning the Galway Hurdle for him last year
Brian Harding - picks up the odd ride for the yard
Timmy Murphy - without a ride in the race
Denis O'Regan - without a ride in the race
Adrian Lane - attached to the McCain yard and rides the horse in his work
Davy Russell - rode the horse before he ever went to England and without a ride in the race
Paul Carberry - unlikely to have a ride in the race
Paul Townend - unlikely to have a ride in the race

You expect Ruby to take over on Hurricane Fly then DH?
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Donnellys Hollow

Definitely. Connections would be mad not to have Ruby up.

Townend is a great talent but he's never even ridden a winner at the track. Ruby is the winning most jockey of all time at the festival and the Champion Hurdle is the only race that's missing from his CV. Might seem tough on Townend but it's a no brainer really.

118cmal

I see Hurricane Fly is available on Betfair at 5/1 for the champion hurdle.  Is this not pretty good value?

Is there any chance he mightn't run?

Donnellys Hollow

Always a chance with any horse that they'll stand on a stone between now and then. I think he's an e/w bet to nothing at the price. It's very hard to see him out of the first three barring a fall.

Stan James are paying e/w on the first four home.  :o

I'm not sure how long that offer will last.

118cmal

Cheers DH.  I'll probably go with a small bet on the nose.

I also see Zaidpour is available at 13/1 for the supreme novices hurdle.  I saw that horse a few months ago and it looked a great prospect.  I'd fancy it at that price e/w.  What would the other big dangers be in that race?

Donnellys Hollow

Cue Card would be the obvious one. I'm quite sweet on Spirit Son myself.

Zaidpour is a hard one to figure out. It will be interesting to see the riding arrangements with Day Of A Lifetime also likely to run.