The Horse racing thread

Started by maddog, December 19, 2006, 03:02:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Treasurer

Quote from: Hardy on February 16, 2010, 09:19:30 AM
Just to whet the appetite, irishracing.com has every race from last year's Cheltenham in full here

I couldn't bear to look at Ebadiyan again!! :(   

maddog

Has anyone got any long term fancies for cheltenham, thinking particularly of the big handicaps.
I see the grand national weights are out this morning. Comply or die at 20/1 ew given that its as good as certain to run and will be aimed at it all year, and he is a safe set of hooves around aintree, might be worth a few bob.

beer baron

I'm in the same boat treasurer.

Hardy

Quote from: maddog on February 16, 2010, 11:14:57 AM
Has anyone got any long term fancies for cheltenham, thinking particularly of the big handicaps.
I see the grand national weights are out this morning. Comply or die at 20/1 ew given that its as good as certain to run and will be aimed at it all year, and he is a safe set of hooves around aintree, might be worth a few bob.

Normally I'd say he's carrying too much weight, maddog, but last year taught us to look more carefully at relative, rather than absolute weight (as I seem to remember yourself recommending). Only Mon Mome beat him home last year, albeit by 12 lengths and he carries a pound less this year.

He seemed good value at the 7.2 for a place I've taken on Betfair. There's now only €25 available at prices from 4.1 to 5.8, but that'll change.

Mickey Linden

I have heard a lot about Possol as a potential national horse. Anyone any thoughts on this?

sammymaguire

Quote from: Mickey Linden on February 16, 2010, 12:21:23 PM
I have heard a lot about Possol as a potential national horse. Anyone any thoughts on this?

TRICKY TRICKSTER who won on Sat has been lined up for the National for months  :-X
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

winsamsoon

Love the run up to cheltenham and all the hype flooding around the place (to which some people get carried away) it's really is fascinating to listen to all the pundits throwing their 2 bobs worth into the ring before races only for the race to throw up something completely different as a new star rises from the ashes.

Donnelly that year war of Attrition won was particularly sweet as i had it backed of the board at 7's and was in the pub watching it when it came like a champion there was a little bit of celebarating done that day lol (haven't had as much success since and keep getting on the wrong side of the Gold cup duels with the exception of last year when Denman was fooked.
I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: sammymaguire on February 16, 2010, 12:26:22 PM
Quote from: Mickey Linden on February 16, 2010, 12:21:23 PM

TRICKY TRICKSTER who won on Sat has been lined up for the National for months  :-X

Nicholls doesn't know how to train a horse for the National. He is going to run the horse in the Gold Cup now which seems a stupid idea. Cheltenham is a week later this year and the National is on 10 April so I'd safely put a line through Tricky Trickster. He doesn't really stand out to me at the weights either.

Character Building, Maljimar and New Alco are the ones that catch my eye all under the 11 stone mark. All would like quick ground though which isn't guaranteed anymore these days.

I don't think any of the Irish horses are particularly well treated (a sign of things to come for the Cheltenham handicaps no doubt). Follow The Plan is an interesting one on his novice chase form but I don't know if this is the target. Arbor Supreme and Cane Brake would be the only other two that would slightly interest me. War Of Attrition's mark is a joke. His last chase run was in the Hennessy when he was pulled up yet his mark has gone up for his two wins over hurdles! This appears grossly unfair and Mouse is dead right to reroute him to Cheltenham. I can't see Dessie Hughes being too pleased with how Vic Venturi, Black Appalachi or Siegemaster are rated either.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

winsamsoon

Not great racing today but i am going foe a wee £20 double on Flores sea and Catleen i'll leave it at that afterwards

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: winsamsoon on February 16, 2010, 02:28:55 PM
Not great racing today but i am going foe a wee £20 double on Flores sea and Catleen i'll leave it at that afterwards

Dozy jock took the wrong course!  ::)

winsamsoon

Seen that Donnelly, you would think there are enough factors against the punters without having to worry about the jockies taking the wrong course.

Hoping for a pityful refund  :D :D >:( >:( >:(

winsamsoon

Flores sea just pissed up too @11/10

rossie mad

Had the same two in a treble with sherando.

Is there any chance of a refund?

Would the horse have won if the jockey had kept on course.

Donnellys Hollow

Still had another circuit of the track to go so it's impossible to tell whether she'd have won or not. She didn't seem to be jumping great to my eyes but she was a useful p2p winner over here so I'd imagine she'd have stayed the 2m6 well in that ground.

If you had her in a treble I'd say you've more than likely done your dough unless you've a very generous bookie who makes her a non-runner and makes your bet a double. Very unlikely I'm afraid.

rossie mad

i take mr p power wont do that then.

thanks anyway DH. best of luck in cheltenham and with all your bets for the festival.
I am a keen reader of all your posts re horse racing