The Horse racing thread

Started by maddog, December 19, 2006, 03:02:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charlieTully

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on January 30, 2010, 03:37:10 PM
Two more of Dunguib's rivals (Royal Charm and General Miller) taste defeat at Cheltenham.  :)

what did you think of tidal bay today dh, and would it be worth an each way punt at the festival?

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: charlieTully on January 31, 2010, 12:24:26 AM
Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on January 30, 2010, 03:37:10 PM
Two more of Dunguib's rivals (Royal Charm and General Miller) taste defeat at Cheltenham.  :)

what did you think of tidal bay today dh, and would it be worth an each way punt at the festival?

I'd prefer Karabak e/w at 6/1 still over Tidal Bay at twice the price to be honest Charlie. He is a very hard horse to warm to that Tidal Bay. He undoubtedly has an engine but I hate that dirty old head carriage of his. The race today was hardly a great contest either - he was getting 4 lbs from a handicapper in Time For Rupert.

Something will have to come third in March though and he's beaten pretty much everything else in the staying hurdle division today worth writing home about bar Big Bucks and Karabak of course (I don't think Sentry Duty will stay 3 miles myself and War Of Attrition will be back over fences now after the Galmoy). I doubt he'll beat either Big Bucks or Karabak but I'd struggle to nominate another horse among the stayers to put above him. I wouldn't like to put you off him but he wouldn't be my idea of a bet at the moment.

I wasn't really taken by any of the horses at Cheltenham today. You'd normally take one or two out of the Trials Day for the Festival but I just can't see anything that won today repeating the feat in March. Taranis would be of some appeal for the Ryanair but apparently Nicholls is going to the Gold Cup with him.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

sammymaguire

Todays tickles

2:40 Wolverhampton
£10 EW Meikle Barfil  @ 9/1 
  4:50 Wolverhampton
£20 Kersivay @ 7/2 
  5:20 Wolverhampton
£50  Penrod Ballantyne  @ 11/4
this one should win this race
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

randomtask

got word on carmenero 4:50 wolverhampton, you get word on your horse at 4:50 sammy?

sammymaguire

no, no info on mine it looks well in on the handicap but also got wind that grand honour was WELL fancied  ???
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

RealSpiritof98

newsboy from the mirror 1st 4 up, use to follow him.

sammymaguire

after all that.... £10 on Look Officer to kill the ton or get out relatively unscathed  :-\
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

randomtask

Homer

With Charles Byrnes (::)) in the news recently I was told by a friend to watch this farcical finish to a race back in 2005

For some strange reason Laetitia just struggles to find that extra gear to pass her stablemate Aplha Royale

http://www.attheraces.com/VideoConsole/?va=COR_2005_04_24_05_1655&vaff=18 (You'll need a ATR account, they're free)

Of course Byrnes said after the race that he was disappointed with the ride from the jockey on Laetitia. Sure you were Charles.

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Homer on February 02, 2010, 11:29:28 AM
With Charles Byrnes (::)) in the news recently I was told by a friend to watch this farcical finish to a race back in 2005

For some strange reason Laetitia just struggles to find that extra gear to pass her stablemate Aplha Royale

http://www.attheraces.com/VideoConsole/?va=COR_2005_04_24_05_1655&vaff=18 (You'll need a ATR account, they're free)

Of course Byrnes said after the race that he was disappointed with the ride from the jockey on Laetitia. Sure you were Charles.

Remember it well. Farcical is the word I think. Fair play to Gary O'Brien - one of the few Irish racing hacks to call it like it is in his column: http://betdiary.com/garyobrien/2010/01/29/ogorman-ban-completely-inadequate/

Check out Pittoni's recent maiden hurdle at Punchestown on New Year's Eve. Horse was a 13/8 shot in the morning, drifted like a barge all day and went off at a SP of 5/1. Ridden well out the back. Very moderate 6th entering the straight. Minimal effort from the jock (Brian Byrnes) after the back of the last but somehow the horse got up to win by a head. I'm told there was very muted exchanges between father and son in the winners enclosure after!

Its not as if he is one of those horses that needs to be ridden that way either. Carberry had him handy for the final mile and gave him a strong drive from the front next time out when the money was down (Evs in to 1/2 fav that day).

sammymaguire

ROCK ON RUBY WILL WIN THE 4.40 (so I have been told) even money shot
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: sammymaguire on February 02, 2010, 12:33:00 PM

4th behind Oscar Whisky is very strong bumper form in England. Worth a nifty

sammymaguire

Quote from: Homer on February 02, 2010, 11:29:28 AM

the finish to this race is unbelievable, the jockey behind must have been sweating buckets trying his best to look like he was trying to win the race but knowing that he was going to win it with minimal effort.... how embarassing is that? Was he punished at all for this farce?
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

sammymaguire

Quote from: sammymaguire on February 02, 2010, 12:33:00 PM

about bloody time!  ::)
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

Donnellys Hollow

Good shout Sammy. Nice horse, brother to Alpine Glade. Could be useful when he goes over timber.