The Horse racing thread

Started by maddog, December 19, 2006, 03:02:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donnellys Hollow

And the Aussies say we're soft!  ::)

Plenty of short ones to get stuck into today. Belvano has been bought by JP and has been backed for the Supreme Novices in the past few days so I'd expect him to take that last at Newbury. Luska Lad and Rhyl Accord should go in at Thurles.

Looking forward to seeing Punchestowns over fences. Classy horse who could go to the top.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

sammymaguire

sorry its late, Regal Lyric in the 12.40 @ Muss should win 3/1  MEATH ALL STAR is another one that should win 1.45

jeez, i really don't know - the winner was 14th in a race at naas last week and then it bolts up today  ???  ???
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: sammymaguire on November 27, 2009, 12:35:13 PM
sorry its late, Regal Lyric in the 12.40 @ Muss should win 3/1

Looks like he needs a stiffer track. Could be one to catch at a bigger price if he pitches up at somewhere like Hexham or Carlisle.

Mickey Linden

I fancy Solwit tomorrow in the Fighting Fifth at Newcastle. Solwit was impressive when turning over Huricane Fly and Id say he could come on from the run. Binocular could need the race.

sammymaguire

I certainly wouldn't disagree with that Mickey. Last couple of the day Intyre Trail Dund 7.00, Tocca Ferro 3.45 Newb

I think 7/2 for Denman tomorrow is a STEAL!
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

Donnellys Hollow

Can't have him at all myself Sammy. He won it two years ago off 161 but he'll be running off 174 tomorrow. I'd be amazed if he wins. Not the kind of race I'd usually be getting too involved in financially but I reckon Barbers Shop is an excellent e/w bet for Queen Lizzy.

Solwhit and Binocular is a fascinating clash. Solwhit has the advantage of a run but he goes well fresh and Byrnes said after the Morgiana that if he was going to beat Hurricane Fly this season, that was the day he'd do it. Binocular is a buzzy little French flat bred. I don't think he'll need the run at all. I doubt I'll have a bet but it should be a hell of a race.

Mickey Linden

Also, fancy Killyglen for the big race tomorrow. It will take some performance by Denman to win the race after the injury set backs he has had and having to defy top weight.
State of play could be an interesting runner in this off a low weight.

Homer

I'm siding with Solwhit over Binocular but I wouldn't discount Sublimity lads he'll push them very close. Still fancy Hurricane Fly to beat them all in the CH.

Really looking forward to Denman's run. The weight is a big ask but I just can't let him go untouched at 7/2.

Also lads if you have a few sheckels to spare you could do worse than throwing it on Donegal tomorrow.

Donnellys Hollow

There's plenty of 4/1 available about Denman according to oddschecker. (Not that I'll be taking any of it myself!)

Donegal has sharpened up his act over hurdles according to Robbie Hennessy's blog on the RP website. If he could translate only half of his flat ability (beaten a head by Conduit at Glorious Goodwood a few years back) than he'd be at least graded class over timber.

Quantitiveeasing is another one to watch up at Newcastle tomorrow for Henderson and AP. Like Belvano today, he has been bought by JP from the Magniers. Won a bumper at Punchestown last April with his head in his chest. Could be a Ballymore horse.

sammymaguire

cheers DH - great weekend of racing so hopefully the weather will not affect it too much

I wonder if Hardhibald is fit? He has won around Dundalk before. Who is Donegal playing anyhow??!  :P
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

Donnellys Hollow

I'd say he's fit enough, only ran last month behind Sizing Europe in a novice chase.

Deccie seems to get a good old tune out of him. Not afraid to give him a few cracks unlike Paul.

Hardy

Quote from: Mickey Linden on November 27, 2009, 03:39:46 PMAlso, fancy Killyglen for the big race tomorrow. It will take some performance by Denman to win the race after the injury set backs he has had and having to defy top weight. State of play could be an interesting runner in this off a low weight.

I've gone strong on Killyglen myself.  This will be his longest race ever, by a furlong and the further he goes, the better he gets. He'll love the ground and his run first time out at Carlisle will have set him up nicely for this.

I'm a bit of a stats freak and his stats-based profile comes out at joint no. 1 in the race (with What A Friend), based on the last ten winners – age, weight, runs, wins, chasing experience.

I'm ruling out Denman completely on the basis that it's impossible to give 12 lbs to the field and 18 lbs and more to anything with a top chance over 3 and a quarter miles on soft ground with a bad heart. Unless he's a freak. If he is and does it, it'll be worth the price of my bet to watch it.

Donnellys Hollow

Charles Byrnes' big hitters are out for Weapons Amnesty in the next at Newcastle. Being backed off the boards.

Interesting to see if they punt Solwhit in the Fighting Fifth.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Where does that leave the Champion Hurdle?

Solwhit and Binocular both well beaten. Great win for Go Native with Sublimity second. 5 or 6 jumped the last in a line but Go Native completely out paced the field up to the line.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Donnellys Hollow

Farcical race pacewise with a plethora of horses still in with a chance at the second last. Blows the Champion Hurdle market wide open though.

Given how Hurricane Fly kicked Go Native out of the way twice last year, I know what I'll be backing over the next few days.