The Horse racing thread

Started by maddog, December 19, 2006, 03:02:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sea The Stars

I'd say every time I looked at the card for the Grand National, I skipped over Pineau De Reu !

I remember him running well in the Bumper many years ago - I wonder why Barry Connell sold him?

Donnellys Hollow

If ever a big owner needed a good racing manager it's Barry Connell.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Sea The Stars

Off the Grand National topic, sad to hear of the passing of Azamour. Remember him winning the King George when I was only getting into racing - just watched that race again, rare to see any horse win like he did that day. Last to first in a big field and won going away.

Harold Disgracey

Had £2 each way on the winner, a nice wee £66.50.

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Sea The Stars on April 05, 2014, 10:17:53 PM
Off the Grand National topic, sad to hear of the passing of Azamour. Remember him winning the King George when I was only getting into racing - just watched that race again, rare to see any horse win like he did that day. Last to first in a big field and won going away.

I loved Azamour ever since the day he had that titanic battle with Relaxed Gesture all the way up the straight at the Curragh. I saw him last year down in Gilltown with the great Sea The Stars and Dalakhani. He looked a million dollars. Sad to hear of his demise.

bcarrier

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on April 05, 2014, 05:00:24 PM
If ever a big owner needed a good racing manager it's Barry Connell.

Race has changed when PDR can win this. Barry said he would have retired him rather than aiming him at the National. He suggested the horse to the good doctor himself because he thought he would be handicapped out of races in Ireland.

Third french bred in last 6 to win. Hadn't won a Grade 3 chase or better either. Weight and Age stats holding up.

drici

Quote from: Orior on April 16, 2014, 12:01:22 PM

Shut the front door!

Great picking Orior - owe you a few pints.

charlieTully

Quote from: drici on April 21, 2014, 05:09:50 PM
Quote from: Orior on April 16, 2014, 12:01:22 PM

Shut the front door!

Great picking Orior - owe you a few pints.

yip, imagine picking the fav, great indeed. wish I had that talent.

beer baron

Punchestown this week boys,any fancies? Think i'll go down Friday to see Hurricane fly try beat Jezki and i wouldn't be too surprised if he did in what i suspect will be his last run  :'(.

Faugheen dropped in trip's an interesting 1,not a move i'd make myself but Willie knows better than i do.

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: beer baron on April 27, 2014, 09:34:50 PM
Punchestown this week boys,any fancies? Think i'll go down Friday to see Hurricane fly try beat Jezki and i wouldn't be too surprised if he did in what i suspect will be his last run  :'(.

Faugheen dropped in trip's an interesting 1,not a move i'd make myself but Willie knows better than i do.

I walked the track today and it's in great nick. It's disappointing there is not more UK representation in the big races but there should be some good action nonetheless.

Faugheen is a strange one. He should have too much class regardless of the trip but he didn't strike me as a horse who would improve for a sharper test at Cheltenham. It would not surprise me in the slightest if he ran on Tuesday and then again on Friday.

I expect Walsh to ride Boston Bob on Wednesday and think he will win. I know Rolling Aces let the form down at Sandown but Boston Bob has always promised to be a better horse over three miles. He's only beginning to come back to himself now after what happened him in the spring last year.

On The Fringe is potentially very interesting if he lines up in the La Touche. He ran a cracker in the Foxhunters and could be better over the banks and stone walls.

The entries for the Bishopscourt Cup won't be known until tomorrow but I have already been reliably informed of three different horses who "can't be beaten" in it!!

beer baron

Looking forward to this evenings racing,looks extremely open heats so not sure i'll have a punt but there's a few horses i'll be keen to see,of course Faugheen will be the real interesting 1 for future but in that same race i'll be interested to see how Western Boy(finished his race very well at Cheltenham and has apparently improved again) and The Liquidator who  i backed antepost for the Supreme but he finished nearer the back of the field than the front after travelling well up front until 2 out but Pipe openly admitted having a lot of trouble trying to get him ready for it and he looked big beforehand so he should come on for it and i'd like to see him run well after his bumper win here last year but if he doesn't i'll be forgetting about him.

In the Novice chase i've been following Don Cossack all year and he's been both consistent and disappointing,hard to know what to make of him at all,usually travels well and i thought he was soft until he outbattled Carlingford Lough earlier in the season but he has since looked far from a battler against Ballycasey and Holywell either side of a fall in the RSA,it could be that he lacks gears and just needs a real good gallop and horses coming back to him at the end,again i'll be hoping he runs well but if he doesn't i'll be forgetting about him for next year.
Morning assembly's in the same race and has arguably the best form of the Irish but Djakadam probably deserves to be favourite getting 9lb off everything,again unlikely i'll have a punt unless a small e/w on Don Cossack if he's a fair price.

In the Champion chase i hope Sizing Europe wins but at his age i'd be surprised,if i was forced to have a punt id probably back Module but i'll be leaving it alone.

The Handicap hurdle is a minefield but 2 that might be worth a look are Waxies Dargle who was pulled up last time out but his previous race was a win off levels against Daneking (now rated 137) and the highly regarded Le Vent Dantan and Carberry onboard's always an asset, the other is Dalasiri who hasn't the most exciting looking form but won a Juvenile hurdle last year at this meeting after getting well punted to beat Gassin Golf giving him 7lb and although that isn't great form i wouldn't be surprised to see that horse improve if the money arrives(but only if the money arrives).

beer baron

beer baron

Cheers for that write up earlier in the week DH,i had no strong fancy for the Gold cup and thought there were 4 or 5 could win but when i seen you sounding as keen on BB my mind was made up.

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: beer baron on April 30, 2014, 05:41:48 PM
Cheers for that write up earlier in the week DH,i had no strong fancy for the Gold cup and thought there were 4 or 5 could win but when i seen you sounding as keen on BB my mind was made up.

Thanks BB. He's always threatened to be a top notcher. It's starting to come together for him now. Better late than never.