The Horse racing thread

Started by maddog, December 19, 2006, 03:02:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeman

Quote from: Hardy on March 14, 2014, 04:10:00 PM
My only decent win of the week was betting on the stewards' inquiry.

Great stuff Davy and Jim.

They were never going to change the result.

Sea The Stars

Quote from: Hardy on March 14, 2014, 03:09:24 PM
Very Wood wins in first time cheek pieces. Hmm. Ned Buntline in the last has first time headgear.

I read about this before the Festival and then it was brought up again after the Arkle ! Think the jist of it is horses in first time cheekpieces/blinkers/nosebands, etc have a great record?

Have backed Ned Buntline.....hadn't realised he fitted this statistic.

thewobbler

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on March 14, 2014, 04:08:01 PM
Did you lose the childrens' allowance on Bobs Worth?

no, not so much, as losing a small amount of money on a series of horses who had the form to contribute more.

Sea The Stars

It's been an extraordinary days racing - even by Cheltenham's standards.....so much to reflect on today and this week.

It's been a bad week for me but I always enjoy it even if it comes at a cost !!

J OGorman

Dear Irish News, could you let Neville Ring know that he couldn't pick his hole

beer baron

Last Instalment's been retired,disappointing he'll never get to reach his potential but his win over xmas will live long in my memory.

Cracking day for Davy Russell but i'm not sure what to make of that Gold cup at all,the finish was very exciting but i don't think the race will be remembered like some previous encounters.

Tiger Roll could be a nice horse to watch in future as that was quite a performance for a horse having only his 3rd ever run  :o

What about Tony Martin in the Grand Annual? Had the favourite for the race in Ted Veale until the weights came out and he said he was too harshly treated,then his fallback option in Savello runs and wins after getting backed from 33/1 to 16/1,he is some operator.

Sea The Stars

It won't be remembered as a vintage Gold Cup Beer Baron but in terms of drama but it's probably up there. Have to say I enjoyed today's racing, despite not backing a winner !! I always like to see Davy get a winner and I thought his reaction after was class. The other Davey (Casey) I would have sympathy for as he's an unsung hero of Irish racing.

Have to say there was no end of talking points with O'Leary - after drawing a blank all week - getting 4 winners, 2 ridden by the man he sacked last Christmas. Hard luck on Bryan Cooper but he might take consolation in remembering his story this time last year and his replacement's story this year. It's uncanny how the roles can be reversed on the same day's racing two years in a row !!

The injuries piling up too, Ruby broke the arm, Townend was stood down and the aforementioned Cooper apparently suffered the worst leg break the turf club doctor has ever seen! And even then no one of those can match Daryl Jacob's day. I was nearly sure the ride he was missing on in the last would win!

Really wish Ned Buntline had won the last though and not Davy Russell / Savello.

All in all I would say it's been a fairly memorable days racing !

Aaron Boone

Bit on the wires that Mullins might appeal the Gold Cup result. We will see after he and Mr Wylie sleep on it.

never kickt a ball

Quote from: J OGorman on March 14, 2014, 05:58:43 PM

Sadly he's not alone on that score :-\

Lecale2

Hard to believe he gets paid for tipping favorites.

charlieTully

Quote from: Lecale2 on March 15, 2014, 07:45:21 AM
Hard to believe he gets paid for tipping favorites.

he does tend to put up a lot of favs but he did tip a 12/1 winner yesterday. he will always be my friend after tipping berties dream at 50s a few years back.

Donnellys Hollow

I saw David Casey on the way into the track yesterday morning. Little did he know then the drama that he would be a part of later that day. The look on his face coming back in said it all. He knew that was his one chance of landing the greatest race in the world.

Davy Russell deserves all his success. I'm sure like most people, I thought he was finished after what happened back in January. There's every chance now that he'll be back on most of the good Gigginstown horses for Liverpool, Fairyhouse and Punchestown with Cooper and Walsh on the sidelines. It's a mad game sometimes.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

bennydorano

I'd a good day yesterday.  Did a 40pEW Lucky 15, I had Very Wood at 40/1 and Lord Windemere at 33/1 as my first 2 runners.  Talk about filling the pants  :D  I was walking round in a daze for a while, brought back down to earth by the shite run of Vieux Lion Rouge and Dare me in the last (20/1).  £636 to lift but could have been that one day that all punters dream about :-\

Norf Tyrone

Lads can any of you recommend any accommodation around Fairyhouse?

Probably looking for somewhere that does family rooms.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on March 19, 2014, 07:32:43 PM
Lads can any of you recommend any accommodation around Fairyhouse?

Probably looking for somewhere that does family rooms.

Dunboyne Castle Hotel would only be a ten minute drive from the track.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?