The Horse racing thread

Started by maddog, December 19, 2006, 03:02:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy

%$(*^& Tom Scudamore! Horses have their own running style - front runner, hold-up, etc., but he's the first jockey I've seen who only knows one way to race.

Donnellys Hollow

An absolutely fascinating insight into what the greatest ever looked for in a colt:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-285hGfZkTE
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

TacadoirArdMhacha

Have heard word for The Tally Ho Kid in the 8 20 at Dundalk tonight. Not sure how strong the information is so go easy each way.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

illdecide

DH what do u make of tomorrow's meeting with hurricane and binocular?  bookies have hf as big favourite and I suppose if he's back to near his best he'll smile at the rest and win easy (heard that phrase from you a while ago...lol).   
but what state is hf in?
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Donnellys Hollow

I would be very surprised if he doesn't win with a minimum of fuss. He was flat last year for whatever reason but there has been plenty to like about his two runs this season. Everything was against him at Punchestown and I think he had Go Native cooked at the last. He had less on his plate at Christmas and did it nicely. The meeting could be in doubt if the weather deteriorates tonight. It was bordering on unraceable today.

TacadoirArdMhacha

The Hurricane did it as he liked there. It's a hell of an ask to regain a Champion Hurdle at the age of 9 but if anything can do it, its this horse.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Donnellys Hollow

Don Cossack is turning into a bit of a disappointment over hurdles. That race today was at his mercy and he never looked like getting past Mozoltov who is no star himself.

Gigginstown could do with Sir Des Champs winning next weekend because they have had a fairly poor time of it recently. I was looking at some of the Cheltenham entries last week and they don't have many serious chances going over considering some of the big money purchases the operation has made.

yellowcard

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on February 03, 2013, 07:44:58 PM
Don Cossack is turning into a bit of a disappointment over hurdles. That race today was at his mercy and he never looked like getting past Mozoltov who is no star himself.

Gigginstown could do with Sir Des Champs winning next weekend because they have had a fairly poor time of it recently. I was looking at some of the Cheltenham entries last week and they don't have many serious chances going over considering some of the big money purchases the operation has made.

What do you think of Sir Des Champs chances of winning the Gold Cup Donnellys? I think he could get beat next weekend but still win the GC since he will stay and has the Cheltenham form.

I've backed Sir Des Champs to win the GC @ 10s, Darlan to win CH @ 9/2 and Golantilla to win the bumper @ 8s.

Donnellys Hollow

I think he has a great chance. He never jumped with any great conviction at Christmas and I can't imagine he will be that sloppy again. I expect him to win next Saturday. Even if Flemenstar does beat him I wouldn't be too despondent. Two extra furlongs at Cheltenham will only suit one horse and it isn't Flemenstar. I would respect Bobs Worth for the Gold Cup but the lack of a prep run puts me off him.

Darlan is an interesting one. Had him down as a bit soft last year but he does look to have strengthened up over the summer. Tomorrow will be a decent examination of his claims. Golantilla falls into the could be anything category. I find it a strange decision from Barry Connell to send him to Tony Martin though and also to appoint Danny Mullins as his retained rider.

beer baron

Darlan falls at the last,doesn't look good  :'(

Sea The Stars

Racing Post have confirmed fatal fall. RIP Darlan. Hard luck to JP and AP - another fatality for the two of them.

yellowcard

Hendeson in tears after Darlan broke his neck in that fatal fall. Really think he would have won the champion hurdle, was cruising going to the last today. Had him backed ante post for the race too, aw well thats the chance you take.

Donnellys Hollow

JP really has some rotten luck at times.

ardchieftain

Shocked and saddened by Darlan's demise. Was getting excited about the champion hurdle clash with Hurricane Fly. I was in the Hurricane's camp but now we'll never know.
I'd imagine the odds will tighten on the fav now

Hardy

Flemenstar looked, to me, not interested in getting stuck in there. Head in the air, he seemed to have plenty left but not willing to give it.