The Horse racing thread

Started by maddog, December 19, 2006, 03:02:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donnellys Hollow

There's a full-brother to Grands Crus running in the maiden hurdle at Aintree. He won't be much of a price but he'd do if you were looking for a banker bet in a treble.

Last day of the flat turf season in Ireland today and an interesting renewal of the Racing Post Trophy over at Doncaster. DK has his horses flying at the moment and he should have a double at Leopardstown with Famous Name and his full-sister Big Break in the Killavullan. Looking forward to seeing how Trading Leather shapes up in the RP Trophy. Really taken with him in his three runs so far. It's not a race I'll be having a bet in as this Ballydoyle horse could be anything but I reckon Aidan will need a good horse to get one over on his old boss today.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

bcarrier

Three winners out of three in your post there DH.

Jewson form well franked by for non stop today.

Donnellys Hollow

No one got rich backing any of them!

I liked the way Big Break put that race to bed. She'll be winning stakes races next year. It's fitting that she announced her arrival on the day her big brother ran his last race. What a horse he has been for the last 6 seasons. No Group 1 on the CV but you could see him doing well for the National Stud given his incredible constitution.

Trading Leather ran very flat at Doncaster. I think the hard race at Newmarket may have left its mark and I heard it remarked at Leopardstown yesterday that a few of Bolger's had gone in their coats. Might be worth bearing in mind for any of his Dundalk runners over the next few weeks. I'm not sure I'd be rushing to back Kingsbarns for Epsom at a short price. He did it nicely and looks like he'll make a better 3yo but he looks all stamina and he has quite a round action which suggests he needs an ease.

For Non Stop was very impressive at Liverpool and it puts pay to the argument that Sir Des Champs has beaten nothing so far in his career.

bcarrier

Jockey eile excellent tonight...but you were all watching x factor  :'(

McCain winner at aintree today looks like one to follow.

Donnellys Hollow

Jockey Eile is great viewing. TG4 do some job with their small budget especially when you compare them to the collection of muppets in Montrose.

sammymaguire

Four Commanders was a sad loss to racing today.
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

homeofhurling8

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on October 28, 2012, 12:39:15 PM
I'm not sure I'd be rushing to back Kingsbarns for Epsom at a short price. He did it nicely and looks like he'll make a better 3yo but he looks all stamina and he has quite a round action which suggests he needs an ease.

I think you have hit the nail on the head there Donnellys, if you had said to the Ballydoyle boys 4 weeks ago that he would win the racing post you would have got some quare looks, he came on a ton in the last couple of weeks and sealed the trip to Doncaster with a particular piece of work he did with Battle of Marengo recently, he isnt,or at least wasn't, in the top echelon of 2yos at Ballydoyle up to then, the boys in the know in Rosegreen have been chipping away at another Gallileo colt Mars for next years classics for a good while now, its hard enough at times to cut through the hype but from what I've heard from lads who wouldn't be prone to exaggeration they think Mars is pretty good ;)

Donnellys Hollow

Has Mars had a setback? I expected to see him running in either the National Stakes or the Dewhurst but there was no sign of him. It would be hard to see him going to Newmarket in the spring with only a spin around Dundalk in a maiden under his belt. Maybe they're thinking he's more of a Ballysax/Derrinstown type.

Donnellys Hollow

Declan

Heard that DH - nice fella  Fergie

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Declan on November 01, 2012, 12:38:40 PM
Heard that DH - nice fella  Fergie

He was some character Declan. He lost a leg in the Korean War. I was reading today that he first came to Cork in the 60s. I had no idea he was in Ireland that long.

I loved some of his quotes to the media when Imperial Call was in his pomp. "We schooled him. He was electric. But I shouldn't be saying this. My job's to beat the other b**tards, not educate them."

homeofhurling8

I'm fairly sure the word eccentric exists to describe Fergie and his "dancing leg", in the Queens Hotel a few years ago during the festival he became embroiled in a bit of a heated debate with a couple of chaps who had taken umbrage at his brusque manner, upon being offered outside Fergie replied "my dear boy i have yet to acquire a fighting leg but rest assured i will put that right and meet you here next year " to the obvious bewilderment of his potential sparring partner !

Has there ever been a Gold cup winning trainer before or since who admitted freely that he didnt much care for training horses under rules, he was some character alright, Tom Costello would tell you some quare stories about the bould Fergie ;)

Denn Forever

Could be interesting.

Jump Boys on
Dé Céadaoin 28/11 ag 9:30

A rare behind the scenes look as we follow Ireland's top jump jockeys over the course of a racing season. Ruby Walsh, Davy Russell and Barry Geraghty star in this revealing, candid documentary, portraying life in the toughest profession in sport.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Two Hands FFS

Down Royal today..any experts got any info on the horses?

BennyHarp

Great ride by Ryan Moore on George Vancoveur there - £10 ew @ 6/1 so a nice start to the evening for me.
That was never a square ball!!