The Horse racing thread

Started by maddog, December 19, 2006, 03:02:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Reports are emerging that Scottish jockey Campbell Gillies has died while on holiday.

The jockey enjoyed his finest moment at Cheltenham this year with the victory of Brindisi Breeze in the Albert Bartlett hurdle.

He was in action at Down Royal last Friday when Best Legend slipped up in the Galway Plate Trial.

Gillies' agent Paul Brierley said: "At the present time, all I can say is there has been an accident."

Fellow jockey Zander Voy tweeted: "I can't believe it. You only have 1 best friend and now he's gone. I'll never forget you @campbellgillies, love you pal. xxx."

Campbell's brother Finlay plays for rugby side Glasgow Warriors. The club said in a statement: "Glasgow Warriors are deeply saddened to learn of the sad passing of Campbell Gillies, brother of Warriors hooker Finlay.

"A promising young jockey, Campbell shot to prominence when he rode Brindisi Breeze to victory in the Albert Bartlett Novices' Hurdle on Gold Cup day at this year's Cheltenham Festival.

"The thoughts of everyone at Glasgow Warriors are with Finlay and his family at this terrible time."

Racing personalities were quick to pay their respects to the 21-year-old Gillies on Twitter.

Former jockey and Racing UK presenter Niall Hannity tweeted: "Devastating news coming through that Campbell Gillies has lost his life in a accident whilst on holiday, thoughts with his family. RIP".

Gold Cup-winning jockey Paddy Brennan said: "The worst news you cud possibly hear. Campbell you will be sadly missed by us all. Great jockey & even better bloke £RIP."

Champion jockey Tony McCoy said: "Very sad news about Campbell Gillies a very good jockey but an even better bloke. All our thoughts are with his family RIP."

Sam Twiston-Davies said: "R.I.P @campbellgillies class rider and a great person. Will be very much missed."

His younger brother Willy said: "RIP @campbellgillies, devastating news."

Brendan Powell jnr tweeted: "Can't believe it, RIP @campbellgillies, great rider but also a great person, will be a huge loss."

His father, trainer Brendan Powell, said: "Really sad news about Campbell Gillies. Thoughts are with his family, friends, Scu and Lucinda."

Grand National-winning jockey Barry Geraghty said: "Very sad news about Campbell Gillies, a very good rider & a lovely fella. He will be sadly missed. All our thoughts are with his family RIP."

Trainer Gordon Elliot said: "In complete shock to hear the awful news about Campbell Gillies, my thoughts go to his family and friends."

Cheltenham racecourse, where Gillies enjoyed his biggest success in March, tweeted: "Desperate news that jockey C Gillies has died on holiday. Our thoughts are with his family & friends."

While trainer Donald McCain said: "Shocking news about Campbell Gillies, thoughts are with all his family."

Gold Cup winner Sam Thomas said: "Saddening news about Campbell Gillies, a great pilot, a top guy and most of all a true gentleman. My thoughts go out to all his family."

Trainer Evan Williams said: "Tragic news about Campbell Gillies, thoughts are with his family & friends."

Jockey Robert Thornton said: "I don't know what to say. Very, very sad words on here do not do it justice. £legend."

http://www.irishracing.com/v5newsitem?prid=61777

Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Hardy

sammymaguire

Just seen that news. Dreadful.
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

Donnellys Hollow

It's being reported that he drowned and that he was turning 22 tomorrow. Very sad. Hard to believe it's little over 3 months since him and Brindisi Breeze were winning at Cheltenham and now horse and jockey are dead.

Donnellys Hollow

Walter Haefner, the owner of Moyglare Stud Farm has also passed away today at the age of 101. It's rather fitting that Princess Highway was so impressive at Royal Ascot last week and Speaking Of Which will be no back number in the Derby at the Curragh on Saturday. The great legacy of those famous black and white silks will live on.

Donnellys Hollow

Why has At The Races become Sky Sports News mark II?

barelegs

At The Races has gone to shite completely over the past 3-4 weeks. Sunday Fourm appears in the schedule but hasn't been broadcast and Chapman (love him or hate him) has left Get On! (did his last show on Sunday) for no apparent reason.

Bit of transparency from someone would be nice there instead of pretending there's nothing going on. Would I be right in saying they've lost a good few tracks (and some staff) to Racing UK over the past year or so?

GAA_Talk

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on June 27, 2012, 07:31:56 PM
Why has At The Races become Sky Sports News mark II?

Noticed that myself. Although it looks decent and a bit more modern it doesn't include as much race info as it used to. On the build up to each race the form is not displayed and then at the end it just list winners without the number of the horse. Bit of an annoyance.

homeofhurling8

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on June 23, 2012, 05:44:54 PM
Ah boy Mullins!  8)

I suggested to Willie after the race Saturday that Simenon would have a grand racing weight for the Galway Hurdle, i wont repeat his response  ;)

Hardy

Thanks for that information.

homeofhurling8

Quote from: Hardy on June 28, 2012, 09:42:27 AM
Thanks for that information.

You cant be too carefull Hardy, there could be young bucks reading this who have never heard the sort of agricultural language that ye mighty misty Midlanders use of occasion.

If you want to see Simenon next time out get your best frock dry cleaned as he is glorious Goodwood bound to take on the big boys in the Goodwood cup.

Donnellys Hollow

I'd say Willie has Melbourne in the back of his mind. It's only nine years ago since he sent Holy Orders down under so it's not like he hasn't done it before.

Hardy

Donnellys Hollow

Great picture of Hartani bolting up at the weekend:

Don Johnson

Anyone on here know where the Toals in Belfast is? Donegall Lane? Is this in one of the wee side streets near the City Hall?