The Horse racing thread

Started by maddog, December 19, 2006, 03:02:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beer baron

Quote from: Bud Wiser on January 27, 2012, 09:25:18 PM
Heading to Leopardstown tomorrow. Any one any ideas of what could go well? Was going to back Hinterland but last time I went for Boston Bob instead, Hinterland is 2/1 so that does not excite me that much. Cant see anything at the moment so maybe just go with the flow I suppose.

The Boylesport hurdle is very competitive but that means nice big prices for every horse  :)

There's a few that catch my eye,Dul ar an ol i know is highly regarded by his yard but he'll need plenty of rain to get involved this time, Plan A is a horse of Gordon Eliotts i've won a few pound on before but can't have him tomorrow, i'd say he could be one of the favourites but he never seems to find much off the bridle so is likely to find at least a few to out battle him, what a charm who beat Plan A at Cheltenham is sure to have been trained to be ready for a race like this and Arthur Moores horse could be the one to beat but i rarely back horses with single figure odds in big handicaps like this unless i really fancy them!

The 1 i'm likely to have a little wager on at a massive price i suspect is Zaarito-he's been chasing for the last 2 years or so and was expected to shape into a top novice chaser back in '09 but always tends to make a mistake over them and either falls or has blown his chance by then but in races he's stayed up in he wasn't too far off horses of the calibre of Golden silver and Noble prince and if he takes the step back into hurdling well could run a big race and at  about 25/1 or so and a few bookies surely offering 5 places i could see him running a big race!

So watch how Plan A hacks up after battling it out with Dul ar an ol on the run in and Zaarito finishes last of all-ha!

Donnellys Hollow

That handicap is always a lottery. If you're not in the van a mile out you might as well pull up. Interesting that Staying Article holds a Champion Hurdle entry. Very high mark but I've always really liked the horse - always thought he was far more promising than The Real Article. Definitely one to watch in the market given connections. Might have a small interest in Wilde Wit Pleasure and Askthemaster both at big odds.

4yo maiden should be a good contest. DK's horse may well have beaten Ut De Sivola last time out had he not made a hames of the last but Darroun needed it last time out and he has better ground here. Sir Des Champs v Hidden Cyclone is a cracking match up. I'd have a slight preference for the Gigginstown horse. Knockfierna did the Greenmount form no harm last time out and I think Russell back on board will bring about a bit more improvement. 5lbs penalty to contend with but he may have too many gears for Hidden Cyclone over this trip.

Great card but only the minor match before Sunday's action.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Hardy

Stats-based ratings for the Sky Bet Chase (2:50 Doncaster)

Shalimar Fromentro    24.69
Qianshan Leader        24.14
Shakalakaboomboom   20.74
Galaxy Rock              20.74
Fruity O'Rooney         20.74
Cape Tribulation        20.23
Wymott                   20.23
Osric                       19.63
Carrickmines             17.66
Wayward Prince        16.63
Merigo                     14.06
Nikola                      14.06
Calgary Bay              13.72
Riguez Dancer           13.66
Aiteen Thirtythree       7.60

Donnellys Hollow

Quite taken by Darroun there. Nice Aga Khan pedigree by Dalakhani. Should make an even better horse on quicker spring ground.

sammymaguire

Bridget's Pet small e/w in the next here...  :-\
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: sammymaguire on January 28, 2012, 01:42:20 PM
Bridget's Pet small e/w in the next here...  :-\

Unrewarding experience trying to take on Willie at the moment.

Looking forward to the stablemates Make Your Mark v Boston Bob clash tomorrow. If Make Your Mark is as good as he looks I'd be very disappointed if he can't take advantage of the 10lbs he's in receipt of. Competitive Edge didn't run too badly there and MYM beat him out of sight over Christmas.

Donnellys Hollow

Just no stopping him.

Smashing ride from Russell. Knew what he had under him and the horse didn't really know he had a race. He's still got a bit to learn but he's a horse with a future. Appears to be crying out for three miles so who knows what O'Leary is going to do as regards Cheltenham with all his novices. Russell was talking about the Arkle in the paper this morning but surely he wouldn't have the speed for Sprinter Sacre and Peddlers Cross

sammymaguire

You think he'd give the rest of them a chance eh...?  ???

Russell done v well to get Des Champs up on the run in there
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

Armaghgael

If in doubt.......take man and ball!

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: sammymaguire on January 28, 2012, 02:27:43 PM
You think he'd give the rest of them a chance eh...?  ???

Russell done v well to get Des Champs up on the run in there

I think the horse won with a fair bit up his sleeve there. He got in a bit tight to the last and was a bit slow away from the back of it but once Russell gave him a back hander he picked the front two up fairly easily. Got to keep in mind that he was giving 5lbs to the Shark's horse. In any normal year he'd be nailed on to line up in a Sun Alliance but who knows with Last Instalment and First Lieutenant about.

Donnellys Hollow

Thomas Edison and Make Your Mark for me today. Have a small antepost interest in the latter for Cheltenham too so he'd want to be winning well today with the conditions of the race so favourable.

Mickey Linden

Will Thomas Edison go to cheltenham? Ive been impressed with him ever since I seen him run at down royal. He hit every fence that day and still stayed on for 3rd

Donnellys Hollow

Wouldn't be certain. Given connections he could be plotted up for a handicap somewhere!

Donnellys Hollow

Thomas Edison NR.

With no let up in the rain, the Arkle has become quite interesting. Can't see Blackstairmountain enjoying these conditions and would be surprised if he confirms form with Notus De La Tour. I think Flemenstar will beat the both of them.

Donnellys Hollow

Peter Casey  :D

That was quite impressive. How good is Bog Warrior considering he absolutely trounced him at Navan?