The Horse racing thread

Started by maddog, December 19, 2006, 03:02:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don Johnson

This irish racing website is shite! Trying to add my horses to the tracker service and it keeps crashing.

Do they email you in the morning of the races then, when do they send the weekend updates?

sammymaguire

2.15 Shop DJ
2.45 Rivage D'or
3.20 Marathon Leader
3.50 Experimentalist
4.25 Powerstation
4.55 Rossa Parks
5.25 Toomdeely 

all fancies. First two look hard to beat as does the bumper horse. A couple of the others have decent e/w chances at decent odds so might do a small each way double this afternoon, with Powerstation and Experimentalist...  ???
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

Family guy

first two winners for you sammy could be the start of a good day for you

sammymaguire

Quote from: Family guy on October 20, 2011, 02:58:22 PM
first two winners for you sammy could be the start of a good day for you

look what you went and done  :P first 3 favs winning in Ireland, how often does that happen?  :o
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

Armaghgael

Any selections for tomorrow?
If in doubt.......take man and ball!

Muzz

So an amendment to the rule...Make much difference? 

Taken from BBC

QuoteThe British Horseracing Authority (BHA) has agreed to amend controversial new regulations on use of the whip, BBC Sport can reveal.

Riders must keep to tight limits on the number of times they strike a horse, seven in Flat races, eight over jumps. But they will now be able to use that allocation at any point in the race.

Jockeys could still lose prize money if they exceed the allowance.

The ruling comes into force immediately and will be applied retrospectively.

Flat jockey Adrian Nicholls, who was given a five-day ban at Pontefract on Monday for whip offences, has welcomed the changes.

"I'm glad that common sense has prevailed," he said. "I thought they were very harsh rules. I think the new rules are better for racing.

"The amount of times was never an issue with me, it was more the hefty bans and the financial penalties. Hopefully now we can put this behind us and concentrate on the good bits about racing."

The move comes after discussions with a delegation of riders and the Professional Jockeys Association (PJA) on Monday.

Jockeys had broadly accepted the introduction of stricter regulations but many were unhappy with the stipulation that the whip could only be used five times in the final furlong or after the last jump, as well as severe penalties, which include losing prize money.

While the specific limit on the final furlong has been lifted, the BHA has retained an element of the financial penalty that jockeys had wanted to remove.

Under the amended rules, if the jockeys exceed the allowance by one stroke they will be suspended, and if it is more than that they will lose any prize money.

Some jockeys will now benefit from the retrospective application of the new rules. Christophe Soumillon who rode Cirrus Des Aigles to victory in the Champion Stakes at Ascot on Saturday is in line to have his prize money reinstated as he broke the rules by just one strike.

Soumillon had been stripped of £52,000 and suspended for five days.

Richard Hughes, who last week gave up his riding licence in protest at the new whip regulations after receiving a second ban in the space of four days, will have his punishment rescinded by the BHA.

The BHA has now urged jockeys to refrain from any possible strike action for the good of the "racing family".

A BHA statement read: "This is a sport not without its challenges, but they will always be outweighed by the sport's strengths.

"These challenges will best be met - and are being met - by finding a common purpose amongst the sport's participants, and by putting the sport first."

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Muzz on October 21, 2011, 11:24:46 AM

Taken from BBC

QuoteThe British Horseracing Authority (BHA) has agreed to amend controversial new regulations on use of the whip, BBC Sport can reveal.

Riders must keep to tight limits on the number of times they strike a horse, seven in Flat races, eight over jumps. But they will now be able to use that allocation at any point in the race.

Flat jockey Adrian Nicholls, who was given a five-day ban at Pontefract on Monday for whip offences, has welcomed the changes.

"I'm glad that common sense has prevailed," he said. "I thought they were very harsh rules. I think the new rules are better for racing.

"The amount of times was never an issue with me, it was more the hefty bans and the financial penalties. Hopefully now we can put this behind us and concentrate on the good bits about racing."

The move comes after discussions with a delegation of riders and the Professional Jockeys Association (PJA) on Monday.

Jockeys had broadly accepted the introduction of stricter regulations but many were unhappy with the stipulation that the whip could only be used five times in the final furlong or after the last jump, as well as severe penalties, which include losing prize money.

While the specific limit on the final furlong has been lifted, the BHA has retained an element of the financial penalty that jockeys had wanted to remove.

Under the amended rules, if the jockeys exceed the allowance by one stroke they will be suspended, and if it is more than that they will lose any prize money.

Some jockeys will now benefit from the retrospective application of the new rules. Christophe Soumillon who rode Cirrus Des Aigles to victory in the Champion Stakes at Ascot on Saturday is in line to have his prize money reinstated as he broke the rules by just one strike.

Richard Hughes, who last week gave up his riding licence in protest at the new whip regulations after receiving a second ban in the space of four days, will have his punishment rescinded by the BHA.

The BHA has now urged jockeys to refrain from any possible strike action for the good of the "racing family".

A BHA statement read: "This is a sport not without its challenges, but they will always be outweighed by the sport's strengths.

"These challenges will best be met - and are being met - by finding a common purpose amongst the sport's participants, and by putting the sport first."

It's a welcome development but I remain to be convinced that a limit on the number of strikes is the way to go. Having had a limited experience of race-riding, I don't think it can work. The only way it can be policed IMO, is through common sense stewarding - by monitoring the frequency of the strikes and that the stick is used correctly by the rider (that the horse isn't being hit in the wrong place and that the rider does not raise the whip above his shoulder). Telling a jockey going out in something like the Eider Chase, which takes nearly 9 minutes to run, that he can only use his stick one more time than a jockey riding in the downhill Epsom Dash, which takes less than a minute, is just plain crazy.

Jockeys aren't stupid but they're being treated that way by the BHA. I watch a lot of racing and I've rarely seen jockeys abusing a horse. Ask yourself how many races you've watched in recent years where horses are being hit when out of contention? Any jockey at that sort of carry on wouldn't last long at any yard. The BHA are more interested in the perception of the game by people who don't understand the game (or don't want to understand the game in many cases). Irish racing has many huge problems but in fairness to the powers that be, they aren't introducing the same crazy rules over here. I think the ban on remounting a horse across the water is nearly as bad as the whole whip farce. Where do you draw the line? Look at what happened to jump racing in Australia when you start going down this road.

The current whip used by jockeys has been years in its development. It's air cushioned and foam padded. At the end of the day, a thoroughbred racehorse is half a tonne of strong powerful animal and a jockey is no more than 8st ish on the flat and 10st ish for NH. The noise the whip makes probably has more effect on a horse than its actual physical impact.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2011/oct/18/jockeys-whip-didnt-hurt

Rant over! Decent two day card at Galway this weekend. Will be setting the sky-plus to see how Jenari, Mount Benbulben and Last Instalment get on.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

haveaharp

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on October 21, 2011, 12:07:53 PM

Taken from BBC

It's a welcome development but I remain to be convinced that a limit on the number of strikes is the way to go. Having had a limited experience of race-riding, I don't think it can work. The only way it can be policed IMO, is through common sense stewarding - by monitoring the frequency of the strikes and that the stick is used correctly by the rider (that the horse isn't being hit in the wrong place and that the rider does not raise the whip above his shoulder). Telling a jockey going out in something like the Eider Chase, which takes nearly 9 minutes to run, that he can only use his stick one more time than a jockey riding in the downhill Epsom Dash, which takes less than a minute, is just plain crazy.

Jockeys aren't stupid but they're being treated that way by the BHA. I watch a lot of racing and I've rarely seen jockeys abusing a horse. Ask yourself how many races you've watched in recent years where horses are being hit when out of contention? Any jockey at that sort of carry on wouldn't last long at any yard. The BHA are more interested in the perception of the game by people who don't understand the game (or don't want to understand the game in many cases). Irish racing has many huge problems but in fairness to the powers that be, they aren't introducing the same crazy rules over here. I think the ban on remounting a horse across the water is nearly as bad as the whole whip farce. Where do you draw the line? Look at what happened to jump racing in Australia when you start going down this road.

The current whip used by jockeys has been years in its development. It's air cushioned and foam padded. At the end of the day, a thoroughbred racehorse is half a tonne of strong powerful animal and a jockey is no more than 8st ish on the flat and 10st ish for NH. The noise the whip makes probably has more effect on a horse than its actual physical impact.

Rant over! Decent two day card at Galway this weekend. Will be setting the sky-plus to see how Jenari, Mount Benbulben and Last Instalment get on.

rather than all this ballix to do with whips, why dont they address what is really wrong with racing. 20 runner handicap and about 5 of them actually trying.

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: haveaharp on October 21, 2011, 12:24:55 PM
Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on October 21, 2011, 12:07:53 PM

Taken from BBC

rather than all this ballix to do with whips, why dont they address what is really wrong with racing. 20 runner handicap and about 5 of them actually trying.

I wouldn't disagree with that. But the new whip rules in the UK have made it harder to identify non-triers.

The handicap system discourages honesty and openess. The crux of the matter is that the bookmakers have the game by the bollocks and the mid-to-lower grade stuff is bent as a result. The only way to go is a tote only system like they work so well in France. Instead Irish racing blindly followed the British model and is probably beyond repair at this stage. The French have great racing because it's so well structured but there's no appetite for it among their public. We've the opposite situation in Ireland. We've an affinity with the running horse that no other country has but our game is fcuked because it's an organisational mess.

sammymaguire

Quote from: sammymaguire on October 14, 2011, 05:38:44 PM
MID MON LADY in the last @ Dundalk looks a very solid e/w bet at 11/2

6.45 - Connections must be interested in pursuing last week's losings  :-\ shorter trip this evening, which could be troublesome but should have won last week.
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

bcarrier

Flat Jockeys have been balloted by PJA today. Have voted to strike at Newbury. Looks like its all going to kick off now.

Darley and the PJA have been useless. They asked for exactly what they wanted from the review of the review instead of asking for more than they needed.

Sean Boyce has had some excellent comment on the whole thing including the " something had to be done myth" .

http://boyciesblog.wordpress.com/

I doubt if Andrew Coonan ( and Johnny/Ruby/Barry/Davy )  would have allowed it to escalate to this extent in Ireland.

bridge fan

like the look of the 1st 2 favs @ galwat tomorrow

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: bcarrier on October 21, 2011, 05:34:06 PM
Flat Jockeys have been balloted by PJA today. Have voted to strike at Newbury. Looks like its all going to kick off now.

Darley and the PJA have been useless. They asked for exactly what they wanted from the review of the review instead of asking for more than they needed.

Sean Boyce has had some excellent comment on the whole thing including the " something had to be done myth" .

http://boyciesblog.wordpress.com/

I doubt if Andrew Coonan ( and Johnny/Ruby/Barry/Davy )  would have allowed it to escalate to this extent in Ireland.

Agreed. Bar Dickie Hughes, the jockeys have let themselves down on this one. It's interesting that it seems to be Frankie and McCoy that are doing most of the talking in the press - they have their money made and are on huge retainers regardless of prizemoney.

The journeymen who just scrape by should be represented better. Jamie Spencer spoke very well today and seemed really pissed off with the lack of unified action from his colleagues. He was dead right in saying that it's probably the reason they race for absolute pittance up and down the UK. Paddy Brennan came out with something similar last night. I'd be amazed if there isn't serious upheaval once the NH gets started up properly and the ground starts to go.

Don Johnson

Fingal Bay and Albertas Run for me tomorrow.

Nicholls:
'I suppose it is in the back of my mind that Kauto Star appeared to run one of his lesser races first time out in 2007 (although failing by only 1 ½ lengths to give Monet's Garden 14lb, with Exotic Dancer 20 lengths away in third, doesn't look that poor in hindsight) and Master Minded has bigger targets down the line. But it looks a good starting point - Kauto also won this race in 2006 before winning the Betfair Million - and I have made no secret that I have backed Master Minded at 7-1 for Kempton. He is officially rated just 4lb behind Long Run, after all, and I hope today goes smoothly and without mishap.

That said, defeat to a horse of Albertas Run class at these weights wouldn't be a disaster, as Kauto showed in 2007.'

bcarrier

Quotesteeplechasing joe mcnally
4% of trainers account for 46% of whip offences from 29% of performances (source BHA) are jockeys the wrong target?

Yep imo.