Cheltenham 2008

Started by boshiba, January 17, 2008, 05:36:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaykay

Paddy Power were NRNB yesterday so I'd imagine the rest will be that way today or tomorrow.

Homer

Quote from: Louth Exile on February 27, 2008, 04:14:29 PM
Of the top of your head Homer, who has now introduced this??

Bet365, Betfred, Betdirect, Better, Boylesports and Paddy Power according to this article http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/racing/article3441282.ece

Louth Exile

St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

Homer

No bother. I see the bookies are sending out for more cash after the last winner in Southwell

4.50 southwell.

The Bonus Ball
A P Stringer Paul Moloney 25/1 14/1 8/1 5/1 7/2 2/1

Barney had his money down!

Louth Exile

He is some boy!!! He is the main reason I'm heading off to the helix now, fascinating character
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

Homer

Quote from: Louth Exile on February 27, 2008, 05:51:27 PM
He is some boy!!! He is the main reason I'm heading off to the helix now, fascinating character

How'd it go LE?

Louth Exile

Quote from: Homer on February 28, 2008, 03:00:05 PM

How'd it go LE?

Very enjoyable, I got chatting to BC afterwards while we were both outside having a smoke, a gentleman. I have the notes at home and shouldn't even be near this board toady, as I am up to my eyeballs. Will hopefully have a chance to post some of the different views this evening.

Mickey Linden

Quote from: Louth Exile on February 28, 2008, 03:14:11 PM
Quote from: Homer on February 28, 2008, 03:00:05 PM

How'd it go LE?

Very enjoyable, I got chatting to BC afterwards while we were both outside having a smoke, a gentleman. I have the notes at home and shouldn't even be near this board toady, as I am up to my eyeballs. Will hopefully have a chance to post some of the different views this evening.

Any update Louth Exile? I would be interested to hear what was said at these preview nights. Thinking of going to one in Belfast myself

Louth Exile

Direct Aid For Africa Cheltenham preview night at the Helix:

Panel:
> Barney Curley - Racing legend
> Mick Fitzgerald - Leading UK based jockey
> John Carr - Trainer of Champion Hurdler Sublimity
> Nina Carberry - Leading Irish amateur jockey
> Andrew McNamara - Jockey of Sizing Europe
> Don McClean - Journalist Sunday Times / TV Pundit
> Noel O Brien - The Irish Handicapper
> Turlogh Lally - Bookmaker with Victor Chandler
> Tony Mullins - Trainer

For what is worth, my notes from it were as follows:

Supreme Novices Hurdle:
Don Mc Clean - Go for a five or six year old and he believes it will be an english winner
Take note of Mick Fitzs mount, will have a very good chance!
Cork All Star was a negative with the panel
Noel O'Brien - Muirhead
Barney - Deep Purple e/w "he is as tough as boots"

Arkle:
A very poor race this year
Tony Mullins - Noland (Banker) most of the rest of the panel thought he was terrible value!
Mick & Barney - Tidal Bay
Andy Mac - Scotsirish e/w

Champion Hurdle:
Mick Fitz - "when sublimity passed me in the race last year, he went by me like I was standing in a lay by and he was pulling double"
John Carr - "his preparation is on a par to where he was this time last year, it hasn't been a perfect run in, but neither was last year"
Don McClean - ebaziyan e/w @ 33/1

Ballymore Novices Hurdle:
Mick & Barney: Aigle D'Or "he kicked the last out of the ground at cheltenham and still battled up the hill to win by 4" Mick
Noel & Nina: Trafford Lad
Don: Venalmar big e/w chance

RSA Novice Chase:
Widespread feeling that this was not a race to have a bet in!! one to go to bar for!!
Mick Bismarked Air Force One, said that oscar park had a decent e/w chance
Tony said that pomme tiepy is unlikely to run

Champion Chase:
Andy Mac: "no chance of an irish winner" he wouldn't back newmill with your money! not the horse he was
Tony, Mick, Andrew, Noel & Barney all went for Voy Pur Ustedes!! (for what is worth so do I)
He is generally 7/2 with only ladbrokes currently going 4/1 if you are having a bet now with no runner no bet(not sure if they are offering NRNB though). Although Barney thought that he would be bigger on the day I think I'm going to take the 4's with Ladbrokes now.

Bumper:
Tony - got the feeling that Willie wasn't as confident as previous years
Nina - a short list! cousin vinny, zaarito, corkskeagh royale
Andrew - cousin vinny
Barney - Apt approach

Ryanair Chase:
Mossbank - Mick, Nina & Noel, Andrew said he will love good ground, although Noel believed he thinks he is a 3 mile horse?
Listener - has to have it soft
L'Antartique - Don's banker, he is twice course and distance winner, including the Paddy Power chase, which is a great guide to this race!

World Hurdle:
Another one to go to bar for!! Inglis Drever is a stone a better horse than any of them, but with 16 horses with viruses in the yard and an odds on price not one to be backing.
Barney - Wichita lineman!
Don - trends are against 9 year olds
This was a race where the panel had a lot more negatives to say about horses than positives! Personally I believe its one to try and pick an e/w shot at a big price

Gold Cup:
What can you say, its a match race with a fairly even divide of those going for Kauto & Denman
If you are having a bet see if you can find a market betting without the two favourites.

Bankers:
Nina - Jered in the County Hurdle
(she also fancies WonderKid in Cross Country, he is currently a very short best price of 7/2!!)
Andrew - Sweet Kiln in the Mares Hurdle
Mick - Aigle D'Or in the Ballymore Properties
Don - Lantartique in the Ryanair Chase
Barney - Apt Approach in the Bumper
Tony - Noland in the Arkle

Also note that Tony Martin's horse Psycho is thrown in at the weights for one of the handicap hurdles, set to carry less than 10 stone!

I am paraphrasing here and as you can see as the night went on they coverage of each day became more sparse, but hopefully there is some food for thought in their.

Was outside afterwards having a smoke when Barney landed out and Mick after him. Had a great chat with him, a gentleman. Was asking him about his earlier win at southwell and did the exchanges help him to now get a bet on? A bit, although the vast majority was with a bookies (he got on at 16) as he said there will be a number of accounts in different names closed down by bookies this morning.

bennydorano

Yer man Don McClean is normally fairly good. Napped Thyne and Again on sunday past - won at 11/4

The only real bet I have at the minute is Millenium Royal Ew in the World Hurdle, got him at 25's, was into 20's last time I noticed.  I just happened to notice him running very well in his last race (think it was Chelts too) and he was pulling the head of him, finished well down the field.  Looked a bit suspect to me - keeping the powder dry(hopefully).

Homer

Cheers for the write-up Louth Exile.

Quote from: bennydorano on February 29, 2008, 12:05:23 PM
Yer man Don McClean is normally fairly good.

And fair play to him fitting in the music career with everything else. I dunno how he finds the time.

Mickey Linden

Thatns for the feedback Loth Exile! Only problem with these things is that I often end up more confused than I already am. Not long til the festival now. Looking forward to it big time but reckon it will be very hard to make money!

maddog

Louth Exile,
is that one for the county hurdle Jered ?

Homer

Heres another write-up from more of an English point of view. If ye haven't got sick of reading about Cheltenham yet (I haven't).

EXETER RACECOURSE PREVIEW EVENING
Tuesday, February 27th

A heavyweight panel of trainers comprised of Paul Nicholls (PN:), David Pipe (DP:), Philip Hobbs' assistant Johnson White (JW:) and the Racing Post's West Country correspondent Andrew King (AK:) with Alice Plunkett acting as the M.C.

A different format from the scores of preview evenings I've attended down the years (a brief discussion of the Grade 1 races before the break and a Q & A session in part 2) and also the shortest preview night I've ever attended as they rattled through each race in triple-quick time which, being a panel of trainers in the main is not surprising as they basically just talked about their own horses (mention of just one Irish horse all night) which is why some of the quotes are quite short.

SUPREME NOVICES' HURDLE

They actually missed out this race until the Q & A session from the audience got a response. Alice was half an hour late and rather flustered!

PN: We run Rippling Ring and he did a very smart piece of work with Celestial Halo yesterday and Ruby Walsh will ride him. He won very nicely at Doncaster on his only start over hurdles and had the class to be third in the South African Derby on the Flat. He has got to overcome inexperience but we think plenty of him.

DP: (no mention of anything as wasn't asked a direct question and he wasn't exactly champing at the bit to reveal all so watch out for his entries!!!!!!!!)

JW: We don't have any strong fancies for the Festival this year but we run Snap Tie and he is one of many at the meeting we think can go well at big odds.

ARKLE TROPHY

PN: Noland had a few problems after his chase debut win and was sick for a fortnight. We needed to get another run into him for experience which we did at Sandown where he jumped brilliantly and he will improve enormously for that run. I think it's an open Arkle but Ruby said he wasn't impressed with Tidal Bay 's jumping when he rode him at Doncaster and I'm convinced he needs further. Ring The Boss is a horse I would look at of the bigger priced horses.

DP: We don't have anything for the race and Noland will take all the beating.

JW: We couldn't have been more delighted with Ring The Boss' chase debut when second in the Kingmaker. He did an amazing piece of work yesterday with our fastest three-year-old and has a great each-way chance.

AK: It's not the greatest of races. Noland has all the right credentials and looks a solid 3/1 favourite.

CHAMPION HURDLE

PN: We have nothing this year. If Sublimity was fit and well I would go for him but the rumours are that this is not the case. Therefore I think it's between Sizing Europe and Osana. If I trained Harchibald I would put a pair of blinkers on him.

DP: We decided to miss the Kingwell with Osana as we felt it was just a little too close to the Festival. He received weight and we got a head start in the boylesports but Katchit came to us at the last flight and we went right away from him again. We were very impressed by Sizing Europe at Leopardstown but they didn't go that quick and we know we can jump fast and fluent at Champion Hurdle pace. We handle the track and we know we go very well at two-mile speed. (the impression given was that he felt that may not be the case for Sizing Europe and they would look to try and exploit it).

JW: I think Katchit can go very well off a very strong pace and can come late and go very close.

AK: This seems to hinge around the Greatwood Hurdle form. Sublimity won well on decent ground last year but I think it will be softer this year as they are already watering and will continue to do so if it doesn't rain. If it is not soft then Sublimity comes right back into it but I don't think Katchit is good enough. Sizing Europe would be my pick but 2/1 is very short.

WILLIAM HILL TROPHY

PN: We will run Ofarel D'Airy and Le Volfoni and if Mister Pointment misses Doncaster this weekend due to fast ground, it is likely he will also run and he'll go well wherever he runs.

DP: An Accordion is very talented. He is still a big baby and lightly raced so has lots of potential. The blinkers helped him concentrate with his jumping when he won at Doncaster last time out and we purposely missed the Racing Post Chase for this. Over the Creek probably wouldn't be quick enough and if he goes anywhere it will probably be the 4m National Hunt Chase. Abragante disappointed on his last two starts but he is showing signs of coming back to his old self at home.

JW: Monkerhostin would be the best hope of our entries. He is also in the Gold Cup but we will probably give Paul Nicholls a chance and run him here instead! We are also likely to run Boychuk who is a real satyer than would prefer decent ground.

CROSS COUNTRY HANDICAP CHASE

PN: We plan to run Royal Auclair who may run again before the Festival and Le Duc but this will go to the Irish, most likely a J P McManus-owned horse.

FRED WINTER JUVENILE NOVICES' HANDICAP HURDLE

PN: We may run Pierre Lunaire here as he wouldn't be good enough for the Triumph Hurdle.

DP: We have six horses in mind for the Imperial Cup-Festival race bonus (not necessarily the Fred Winter although Gaspara completed the double for the stable in this race last year – when pressed which he was unsurprisingly rather shy!)

BALLYMORE PROPERTIES NOVICES' HURDLE

PN: Breedsbreeze is our number one hope and Ruby is very sweet on him (he was short and sweet!)

DP: We have no runners for this race.

JW: We'll probably run County Zen who was third in the totesport Trophy last time out and Pigeon Island has franked that form. He's a tough horse that worked well yesterday and looks very good each-way value at a big price.

AK: Group Captain's win at this course last time out was very impressive over a trip probably short of his best when beating a Henderson horse that the yard think a lot of so I think he has a massive chance.

ROYAL & SUNALLIANCE CHASE

PN: We run Silverburn and Ornais. The handicapper has given Ornais 156 for his last win and has Silverburn on 142 but we know Silverhand is in a different class to Ornais. He looks as well as we've ever had him and has a great chance, in fact, I think he is one of our best chances of the whole meeting.

DP: Speaking to Denis O'Regan last week I think there is a good chance they might step Tidal Bay up in trip and run him here but Howard Johnson's horses are not going well right now.

JW: I'm not sure we'll have anything this year as Gold Medallist is more likely to go for the Jewson and Pancake will only run if we get soft ground.

AK: I really like Albertas Run who looks just the ideal sort for this race as he had a touch of class over hurdles, stays very well and his last run was very impressive.

QUEEN MOTHER CHAMPION CHASE

PN: Don't read anything into jockey bookings as it will be up to me and I would say it is very likely Ruby will ride Master Minded and Sam will ride Twist Magic as they are the horses they have won on this season at Newbury and Sandown so it makes sense it stays that way. I worked both of them together yesterday over 5f and they both went brilliantly. Master Minded has really impressed me with his improvement but I admit his jumping is a concern. As for Twist Magic, forget his Ascot run on that ground plus that is more of a stayers track than Cheltenham , and he'll love Cheltenham . Fair play to Tamarinbleu for winning at Ascot on soft ground but I think it will be a different ball game on decent ground.

DP: We haven't decided whether Tamarinbleu runs here or the Ryanair and won't until much nearer the day when we know the likely conditions plus what is turning up for each race as you can get late non-runners. I know Paul thinks Ascot was too soft for Twist Magic but I also think it was softer than Tamarinbleu appreciates. He's still filling out so is still improving and has been a revelation since blinkers were fitted.

JW: We run Fair Along for whom nothing went right when he was Arkle favourite last year. He wants all of two miles but gets no further and we think he has an each-way chance at a decent price.

AK: I think Voy Por Ustedes has an impossible task and now wants 2m4f if not even 3m. On decent ground I would go for Twist Magic and on softish ground it would have to be Master Minded.

NATIONAL HUNT CHASE

DP: (In the Q & A session I asked if Over the Creek goes here for a handicap or the SunAlliance) If Over The Creek goes anywhere it will be here. (he then looked me dead in the eye and said) And he would have a very, very, good chance.

WEATHERBYS CHAMPION BUMPER

PN: The Irish will win it!

DP: We're not sure Big Eared Fran goes here yet (there have been rumours he has had problems).

JW: Keki Buku would probably be our best chance of a winner at this year's Festival. He has not run since easily winning at Uttoxeter in October beating Henrietta Knight's good novice Calgary Bay .

WORLD HURDLE

PN: We have nothing in the race but Howard Johnson's string are not right at the moment which would be a concern for Inglis Drever. I saw My Way De Solzen in the paddock on Sunday at Fontwell and thought he looked big and well so wouldn't be at all surprised if he ran a big race.

DP: Lough Derg is an absolute superstar and even after a very hard race winning on Sunday he was kicking and bucking and as a fresh as a daisy the next day. The World Hurdle is a different story and although he should run a sound race, he has it to do. I was impressed with Kasbah Bliss at Haydock and A P being back on Wichita Lineman will help his chances.

JW: We have nothing – it has to be Inglis Drever

AK: I am not sure anything can beat Inglis Drever apart from himself, I'm sure he's a monkey. I'm sure Wichita Lineman has purely been trained for his race and I hear rumours they may put headgear on him for the first time. I couldn't rule out Lough Derg as he is game as the day is long. Wichita Lineman each-way for me.

RYANAIR CHASE

Again, this race was missed out until the Q & A session was there were limited quotes

PN: I don't think it actually looks that competitive which is why David should run Tamarinbleu here and not the Champion Chase! We run Turko who drops back in trip from 3m from when second in the Irish Hennessy and we think that will suit him.

DP: Our Vic has a favourite's chance but I do think 2m5f is a bit sharp for him around Cheltenham . Ideally 3m is his trip around here.

AK: Our Vic is the one to beat

RACING POST PLATE

PN: Gwanako would be our main hope. He had a nice run round the other day on his first look at British fences. (the impression was left there was plenty of improvement to come)

TRIUMPH HURDLE

PN: Celestial Halo would be our main hope but Franchoek will be very hard to pass. We probably left him a bit underdone when beaten by Sentry Duty who is also probably very decent himself and he worked nicely with Rippling Ring yesterday. Five Dream would prefer it soft. I think Askkazar wants further.

DP: Ashkazar was very impressive for us at Wincanton on his hurdling debut but the ground was too soft at Chepstow next time and he did it nicely at Sandown afterwards. He will be a lovely horse for the future and he is very well built for a 4yo with a real engine. Wherever he goes he will run well (suggesting the Supreme with an age allowance or the Fred Winter could yet be an option).

JW: We have two possibles but Hibiki will have to win well at Ludlow to take his chance and it is more likely than not that The Grey Berry will bypass Cheltenham .

AK: Franchoeck keeps improving, has got the form in the book, does not stop in front and has Cheltenham form so has everything you look for in a Triumph Hurdle horse.

GOLD CUP

PN: Both Kauto Star and Denman are outstanding horses. Kauto Star has not missed any work since his scare after Ascot and will be very, very hard to beat but Denman worked well this morning and has done nothing wrong. Neptune Collonges put up his career best effort at Wincanton last time and Star De Mohaison could also run if Exotic Dancer doesn't show up as his owner would be keen to have a runner.

DP: I'd be a Kauto Star man. He's won a Tingle Creek and Gold Cup and I would only switch to Denman if it came up bottomless.

JW: Kauto Star.

AK: On paper it is a match but Kauto Star is just unbelievable as he gallops, stays and has speed. I would prefer Kauto Star to Denman if it is not soft ground. I think Neptune Collonges is a flat track horse so the each-way value lies with Halcon Genelardais at 40/1 especially if it is softish ground.

FOXHUNTERS'

PN: We will run two, Thisthatandtother and Lou Dun Moulin Mas. Thisthatandtother was beaten at odds of 1/8 last time out but he returned home with loads of problems and was lame. The big doubt is whether he will stay as he has never won beyond 2m5f and it is touch and go whether he will run.

GRAND ANNUAL

PN: Andreas will almost certainly try and win this race for a second year running rather than take up his Champion Chase entry.

DAVID NICHOLSON MARES ONLY HURDLE

DP: We run Gaspara who won at the Festival last year and all is going well with her preparation.

Louth Exile

Quote from: maddog on February 29, 2008, 03:10:39 PM
Louth Exile,
is that one for the county hurdle Jered ?

:D You must be right, I have corrected now, was thinking at the time, never heard of that horse and I never checked the lineup.
Its Ninas auld Meath accent, sure I wouldn't be used to it

Quote from: Mickey Linden on February 29, 2008, 03:09:52 PM
Thatns for the feedback Loth Exile! Only problem with these things is that I often end up more confused than I already am. Not long til the festival now. Looking forward to it big time but reckon it will be very hard to make money!

I took a few out of it, and I think that is as many as you are going to get, it was very helpfull for advising what races to avoid though!

Quote from: Homer on February 29, 2008, 02:48:59 PM
Cheers for the write-up Louth Exile.

No bother Homer, it is looking like there are going to be a few of us in Cavan town on Gold Cup afternoon, would you be able to offer a recommendation for a suitable venue to watch the clash of the titans?? The type of place that has good stout, a few in who would appreciate whats going on and a bookies near by (I don't ask for much, do I!)