Nicest Towns in Ireland

Started by AZOffaly, April 18, 2018, 09:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OgraAnDun

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 18, 2018, 10:53:22 AM
Bunbeg, its been a while but I would have went often enough, and with the National park beside it you've got one of the best areas to walk around

Good call, although I think the recession has hit it hard.

mouview

Though a village rather than a town, Roundstone is lovely, though a victim now to too many tourists.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: OgraAnDun on April 18, 2018, 02:13:34 PM
Bunbeg, its been a while but I would have went often enough, and with the National park beside it you've got one of the best areas to walk around

Must get back to it then, stayed at the harbour hotel twice and then further up the road at Teac Jacks a couple of times
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

thewobbler

Places I'd happily spend a few days in. Most of them are villages rather than towns, and have nothing to do but take a dander, look at cold water and drink stout.

Dunmore East in Waterford
Mulranny in Mayo
Mullaghmore in Sligo
Rostrevor in Down
Adare in Limerick

Dun Laoghaire and its feeder villages
Sligo Town in general
Gorey in Wexford

Taylor

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 18, 2018, 02:30:22 PM

Must get back to it then, stayed at the harbour hotel twice and then further up the road at Teac Jacks a couple of times

Hiudai Beag's used to be a fantastic spot.
Drink pints till they come out of your ears and have the craic with anyone that comes in.

Havent been back to it in years.

Was there a nightclub called Seaview or similar?

GJL

I've stayed in the Grand Malahide a few times. Always found it a nice place to walk about in and eat/drink..

ashman

Dungarvan ,  Lismore .  In fact west Waterford is fabulous .

Killaloe

Rostrevor

Sneem

OgraAnDun

Quote from: Taylor on April 18, 2018, 02:42:56 PM

Drink pints till they come out of your ears and have the craic with anyone that comes in.

There's meant to be a big trad festival on there around New Years each year. I was told it was a bit like Blues on the Bay in Warrenpoint, if that's true the pubs probably take enough in a few days to keep them going for the next twelve months!

Milltown Row2

Aye, was there one year (24 years ago! feck I'm old)  for New years! great craic altogether
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

red hander

Quote from: TheOptimist on April 18, 2018, 02:13:11 PM
Quote from: The Iceman on April 18, 2018, 01:54:27 PM
Love Ballina, Westport and Enniscrone (when it's not crowded).
Great call on Dungarvan in Waterford. Some great wee villages and rural pubs round about Portlaw and Carrols Cross area. Might have been my youth or the great weather but I have great memories of the area.

Headed to Dunfanaghy this summer when I'm back, have a wee spot booked right on the beach. Donegal has some gems.

I was going to say Dunfanaghy. I have great memories from there as a young leader at summer camps. Take a walk up around Horn Head for some great views. Also there is a hidden beach about a mile or two accross the dunes from the football pitch which was pretty cool.

Tramore beach. Beautiful place to walk and see Tory changing shape the further along you go. Rarely run into anybody else. Spent many a day there before heading to pub at top of village for gorgeous pints of stout

Milltown Row2

Quote from: red hander on April 18, 2018, 03:22:02 PM
Quote from: TheOptimist on April 18, 2018, 02:13:11 PM
Quote from: The Iceman on April 18, 2018, 01:54:27 PM
Love Ballina, Westport and Enniscrone (when it's not crowded).
Great call on Dungarvan in Waterford. Some great wee villages and rural pubs round about Portlaw and Carrols Cross area. Might have been my youth or the great weather but I have great memories of the area.

Headed to Dunfanaghy this summer when I'm back, have a wee spot booked right on the beach. Donegal has some gems.

I was going to say Dunfanaghy. I have great memories from there as a young leader at summer camps. Take a walk up around Horn Head for some great views. Also there is a hidden beach about a mile or two accross the dunes from the football pitch which was pretty cool.

Tramore. Beautiful place to walk and see Tory changing shape the further along you go. Rarely run into anybody else. Spent many a day there before heading to pub at top of village for gorgeous pints of stout

Yes many a childhood in Tramore, took the kids there one time, had great fun

Don Johnson

Quote from: Rois on April 18, 2018, 12:13:03 PM
Quote from: lurganblue on April 18, 2018, 12:08:32 PM
Cant include Moira. Traffic is a complete joke. Would hate to live in it.
Drove through it last night when coming the back road from Lurgan about 9pm and it was fine.  ;D
It has some nice restaurants and a well-kept main street though.

The same argument could apply to Adare.

The traffic from 3-7pm ish is terrible. Worth it though for a visit to Wine and Brine, McCartneys or The Meat Merchant.

Taylor

Quote from: hardstation on April 18, 2018, 03:49:26 PM

There was a nightclub at the Seaview hotel. Closed now.

Thought so. Was some cattle mart

seafoid

Leenane wouldn't be big enough to qualify as a town but the location is spectacular.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

BennyCake

Quote from: Tubberman on April 18, 2018, 12:22:36 PM
Quote from: Armamike on April 18, 2018, 11:29:07 AM
The Moy has a bit going for it.

I assume you're talking about the river?

Aye, the Blackwater separated us fom themmuns. It was great. Then they built a bridge!