Westminster Election 12th December 2019

Started by Ambrose, October 29, 2019, 02:24:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bennydorano

Quote from: smelmoth on November 11, 2019, 12:36:03 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on November 11, 2019, 12:23:33 PM
Farage just announced that he is stepping down candidates in Tory constituencies, big boost to Boris Johnson and all Brexiteers.

A big help to BoJo in fending off Labour and specifically LD. Not much help to him in the seats he wants to win to get a majority and or offset any he loses. Makes it easier for Labour to to say if you can't stomach voting Tory don't vote Brexit- they are one and the same.
It's game over.

Windmill abu

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on November 11, 2019, 12:06:11 PM
Quote from: playwiththewind1st on November 11, 2019, 11:54:11 AM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on November 11, 2019, 10:27:24 AM
Quote from: smelmoth on November 10, 2019, 07:07:30 PM
In SinnFeins party political broadcast will they be setting out the achievements of Mickey Brady, Órfhlaith Begley (she is the MP for West Tyrone), Francine Molloy (also an MP apparently), Paul Maskey (you might know his brother Alex), Michelle Gildernew, Chris Hazzard or Elisha McCallion?

When you read this it really hits home how useless SF are

Only good thing is that it should in theory be a very short broadcast.

;D
Micky Brady, honestly I cant even get a picture of him in my head, and I am not saying that for effect.
Begley, mmm naw I really don't rate her or know of anything she has done. Seems nice, but robot talk all the time.
Francie, I thought he had retired. Expect him to be down the local in the corner talking shite.
Maskey, he is bald I think.
Gildernew. I like her.
Hazzard-he is on twitter now talking about Bolivia, the new Maduro feck up fro SF. Anything to appear lefty
Elisha Dolittle-Clean useless. Great that she managed to brave the rain this week. What a hero. I could stick the knife into her in so many ways but I think most people in Derry know it all already, voter fraud the latest

If all the above are as poor as you think, then no one will vote for them.

If the majority in their constituencies prefer them to the other candidates then they will elect them.

That is how democracy works.
Never underestimate the power of complaining

smelmoth

Quote from: Windmill abu on November 11, 2019, 01:21:20 PM
In SinnFeins party political broadcast will they be setting out the achievements of Mickey Brady, Órfhlaith Begley (she is the MP for West Tyrone), Francine Molloy (also an MP apparently), Paul Maskey (you might know his brother Alex), Michelle Gildernew, Chris Hazzard or Elisha McCallion?

;D
Micky Brady, honestly I cant even get a picture of him in my head, and I am not saying that for effect.
Begley, mmm naw I really don't rate her or know of anything she has done. Seems nice, but robot talk all the time.
Francie, I thought he had retired. Expect him to be down the local in the corner talking shite.
Gildernew. I like her.
Hazzard-he is on twitter now talking about Bolivia, the new Maduro feck up fro SF. Anything to appear lefty
Elisha Dolittle-Clean useless. Great that she managed to brave the rain this week. What a hero. I could stick the knife into her in so many ways but I think most people in Derry know it all already, voter fraud the latest

If the majority in their constituencies prefer them to the other candidates then they will elect them.

Your first sentence is simply not true. These MPs are useless. Most sit in seats that anybody no matter how useless would win under the SF brand. Others sit in constituencies that run off a useless "usun" against a useless "themun". We have 2 electorally successful parties that run this system and hoover up the votes. What do they deliver?? We know the answer to that. SF and DUP know the answer as well.

A simple ask would be the 2 parties to publish the achievements of their candidates and where their candidate is the incumbent specifically what they have done with that office for their constituents and the people of NI.

Square Ball

With the Brexit party not standing in any seats the Torys are running in think they will now get a majority as I can see them taking a few seats off Labour
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

playwiththewind1st

;D
Gildernew. I like her.

Vote early, vote often, don't go to London too often -  that is how democracy really works. Or don't go to Stormont too often either, even though you're being paid a travel allowance to do so.

five points

Quote from: imtommygunn on November 11, 2019, 12:33:35 PM
I wonder would there be any chance of impeaching Boris at any stage. He'd definitely be a candidate for it.

Desperation.

yellowcard

Quote from: Square Ball on November 11, 2019, 02:43:47 PM
With the Brexit party not standing in any seats the Torys are running in think they will now get a majority as I can see them taking a few seats off Labour

I think you may be correct, Farage's decision has just changed the whole election landscape.

Worse still, the Tories will fall just short of a majority and rely on the Brexit Party to form a government. I suppose it couldn't be any worse than a Tory/DUP government.

outinfront

Get rid of the DUP they can sacrifice NI for an English Nationalist Brexit.

imtommygunn

This Brexit thing has made two of the most odious "leaders" in the history of politics (Farage and Foster) go from complete insignificance to a feeling of importance very quickly. It really hasn't been enjoyable at all.

smelmoth

This is a concern.

The only hope in this election is Labour keeping a share of the Leave vote. The key to that is keeping the agenda wide and focussing on Non Brexit issues specifically some of the concerns that wrongheadedly got people talked into Leave in the first place

trailer

;D
Gildernew. I like her.

At best this is naive, at worse you actually believe this.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

;D
Gildernew. I like her.

Surely you are taking the piss here

johnnycool

Quote from: yellowcard on November 11, 2019, 03:02:37 PM

I think you may be correct, Farage's decision has just changed the whole election landscape.

Worse still, the Tories will fall just short of a majority and rely on the Brexit Party to form a government. I suppose it couldn't be any worse than a Tory/DUP government.

The Brexit party probably won't win any seats in a FPTP election but they just might take enough Leave votes from Labour to allow a Tory candidate in and that's where they've a hand to play.

seafoid

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/brexit-is-pushing-the-more-liberal-unionists-down-a-different-path-1.4055430

"Moderate, wealthier unionists could be turned off by hard-core Brexit rhetoric. Overlooking Shore Road is Fortwilliam Golf Club. Like a lot of the residents of this more comfortable part of north Belfast, honorary secretary Michael Graham is a Catholic and a moderate nationalist. He sees his unionist friends, however, becoming increasingly uncertain over the DUP's Brexit strategy, which in turn is changing long-held political views.
"One of the things I'm finding about Brexit is it's pushing the more liberal unionists down a different path than perhaps they were on before," he says. Now, over pints, his Protestant friends discuss and debate what a 'new Ireland' would look like – not an extension of the Republic, but a new constitutional and political entity. "This is my Protestant friends talking to me in a language they have never used before," he says. "To them, it's unfathomable that the DUP should take that line of action to maintain their precious union," he says.
However, DUP figures disagree. Philip Brett, a DUP councillor in the area who works with Dodds and was in Westminster during the dramatic hours after the deal was announced on Thursday, says: "This is one of the few issues that unites unionists from all perspectives."
Nonetheless, Prof Duncan Morrow of Ulster University says the DUP could be vulnerable. "At the moment, part of the problem is they put all their eggs in the one basket, which has failed and come under huge criticism from the other unionist parties," he says."
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Minder

Surely to get "Brexit done" the Tories will need a majority, and to do that gain current Labour seats. Brexit party will surely cut into Tory vote in some Labour seats. I don't think it's as straightforward as some think
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"