Would you be in favour of a second tier?

Started by sligoman2, June 26, 2017, 12:34:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you be in favour of an alternative championship for Div 3 and 4 with winners and runners up rejoining the other championship.

Yes
136 (52.7%)
No
104 (40.3%)
Undecided
18 (7%)

Total Members Voted: 258

imtommygunn

Quote from: lenny on June 01, 2019, 04:42:36 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on June 01, 2019, 02:27:31 PM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on June 01, 2019, 02:11:49 PM
Quote from: sligoman2 on June 01, 2019, 02:04:30 PM
It was called the Tommy Murphy cup and there was so little appetite for it that we scrapped it. Why would it succeed the 2nd time around?

Maybe we should ask the millions of Brit's that votes for Brexit and have since changed their mind.  Things change, attitudes change and that is a good thing.  Having competitive games is more enjoyable to play and watch than non competitive games.  John Horan seems to have his act together, he sees the need for change and is trying to do something about it and I applaud him for that.  If you don't learn to change you get left behind.

Horan is a president and in the GAA you have no power in that role but it's a platform to voice your opinion off a lot as he has done.

GAA President John Horan is a Dub! He has no idea of the plight of the weaker counties. He is looking for a quick fix way of sorting out the mess that has been left from Financially Doping Dublin. This is just another level of the Super 8's - a new way to have more higher profile games in Croke Park and sell corporate Boxes and Premium seats. The lower tiers will be left hidden away (just like the lower level Hurling competitions) and will become less a financial burden and less an administrative burden. Out of sight out of mind.

For the millionth time, the lower level hurling counties are getting a much higher profile than they ever did in the old system. Donegal, fermanagh, tyrone and hurling teams like that never would've been heard off years ago. At times you wouldn't have known they had a hurling team at all. Now they regularly get their games covered in the irish news etc. That's down to the fact they are playing in relevant competitive competitions for their standard. This line used on here that we can't have tiers because the hurling counties have gone from wall to wall coverage to being forgotten about is absolute garbage and can we all stop peddling that lie.

Where are they getting this higher profile? I don't see it anywhere.

The winning thing to me is a misnomer. Split the football into 3 with , for arguments sake, ten teams in senior then still only one of two or three teams will win it. The rest will have no chance.

Take division one and say Monaghan. They'd make a top tier but have no chance of winning it. You do a middle tier and say put Louth in it again no chance.

I still believe it should be split but the chances of winning thing is a nonsense. You'll give about four , five or six more teams a chance of winning something but the rest not so much.

More teams might get further etc and that would be beneficial , very beneficial, but not that many more will have a chance of winning.

lenny

Quote from: imtommygunn on June 01, 2019, 06:43:38 PM
Quote from: lenny on June 01, 2019, 04:42:36 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on June 01, 2019, 02:27:31 PM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on June 01, 2019, 02:11:49 PM
Quote from: sligoman2 on June 01, 2019, 02:04:30 PM
It was called the Tommy Murphy cup and there was so little appetite for it that we scrapped it. Why would it succeed the 2nd time around?

Maybe we should ask the millions of Brit's that votes for Brexit and have since changed their mind.  Things change, attitudes change and that is a good thing.  Having competitive games is more enjoyable to play and watch than non competitive games.  John Horan seems to have his act together, he sees the need for change and is trying to do something about it and I applaud him for that.  If you don't learn to change you get left behind.

Horan is a president and in the GAA you have no power in that role but it's a platform to voice your opinion off a lot as he has done.

GAA President John Horan is a Dub! He has no idea of the plight of the weaker counties. He is looking for a quick fix way of sorting out the mess that has been left from Financially Doping Dublin. This is just another level of the Super 8's - a new way to have more higher profile games in Croke Park and sell corporate Boxes and Premium seats. The lower tiers will be left hidden away (just like the lower level Hurling competitions) and will become less a financial burden and less an administrative burden. Out of sight out of mind.

For the millionth time, the lower level hurling counties are getting a much higher profile than they ever did in the old system. Donegal, fermanagh, tyrone and hurling teams like that never would've been heard off years ago. At times you wouldn't have known they had a hurling team at all. Now they regularly get their games covered in the irish news etc. That's down to the fact they are playing in relevant competitive competitions for their standard. This line used on here that we can't have tiers because the hurling counties have gone from wall to wall coverage to being forgotten about is absolute garbage and can we all stop peddling that lie.

Where are they getting this higher profile? I don't see it anywhere.

The winning thing to me is a misnomer. Split the football into 3 with , for arguments sake, ten teams in senior then still only one of two or three teams will win it. The rest will have no chance.

Take division one and say Monaghan. They'd make a top tier but have no chance of winning it. You do a middle tier and say put Louth in it again no chance.

I still believe it should be split but the chances of winning thing is a nonsense. You'll give about four , five or six more teams a chance of winning something but the rest not so much.

More teams might get further etc and that would be beneficial , very beneficial, but not that many more will have a chance of winning.

If four or 5 teams in each tier have a chance of winning that means around 15 teams have genuine hopes of winning something which is much better than the way ot is currently. People saying stuffings will still happen are correct but they will mainly be unpredictable stuffings. Tipperary beat waterford well in the hurling but nobody could have foreseen such a gap between the teams and waterford went into the game with hopes of winning. Did anyone here think louth could get close to dublin or antrim close to tyrone. Those were utterly predictable stuffings which did no good for either of the teams or any spectators.

Rossfan

The Munster Semi Finals not doing much for those if us who want the Provincials retained :-\
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

imtommygunn

I don't think four or five teams will have a chance of winning though.

I agree with a lot of what you're saying Lenny but am genuinely interested in why you think the lower tiers are getting a higher profile than they ever did in hurling. I don't see much of it bar the final of the respective competitions.

trailer

Quote from: Farrandeelin on June 01, 2019, 05:18:47 PM
Quote from: trailer on June 01, 2019, 11:44:20 AM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on June 01, 2019, 11:13:44 AM
Quote from: trailer on June 01, 2019, 11:07:31 AM
Some silly arguments on here for maintaining the status quo. Some people are really confused.

Here's some facts.
Weaker teams don't win anything.
Weaker counties are not on TV
No supporters from weaker counties are going to games involving weaker counties v Div 1 teams
Weaker counties are usually red up at the start of June.

Time that those arguing things are ok got real and copped themselves on.

Yea and? There'll be tankings in a tiered championship too, don't believe me, see Tipp v Waterford this year in hurling...

I've an idea, let's put Waterford in the second tier...said nobody.

You're clearly not intelligent enough to debate this issue with.

So you reckon every game will be edge of the seat stuff? Every single one?

No. And that's not the point. But teams in their grade will have a realistic chance of winning. If you don't get that, you cannot be helped.

trailer

Quote from: imtommygunn on June 01, 2019, 07:54:48 PM

I agree with a lot of what you're saying Lenny but am genuinely interested in why you think the lower tiers are getting a higher profile than they ever did in hurling. I don't see much of it bar the final of the respective competitions.

Bought the paper today and I see Tyrone are playing Louth. Dunno what the result was but I know this was the fixture.

lenny

Quote from: imtommygunn on June 01, 2019, 07:54:48 PM

Every monday in the irish news the matches are given a short report with scorers etc. There are also interviews occasionally with players and managers before matches especially towards the latter end of competitions. I never used to see those teams get sny coverage whatsoever.

imtommygunn

Ah ok. I don't buy the Irish news really but maybe you have a point there. Rte or the Gaa don't do much for it but maybe more local outlets like that do.

trailer

Quote from: imtommygunn on June 01, 2019, 08:21:56 PM
Ah ok. I don't buy the Irish news really but maybe you have a point there. Rte or the Gaa don't do much for it but maybe more local outlets like that do.

This is it in a nut shell. "I don't follow hurling but I'll complain about the lack of coverage." God give me strength.

imtommygunn

I do follow hurling but don't buy the Irish news. That ok?

lenny

I agree with you that rte or tg4 and gaa should do more for those competitions.

trailer

Quote from: lenny on June 01, 2019, 09:56:40 PM

I agree with you that rte or tg4 and gaa should do more for those competitions.

Tyrone V Louth in Football would hardly be on TV why would you want the Hurling on TV? People need to get real here. Putting games on TV for the craic is not an option. It doesn't happen now and won't happen in a future tiered competition.

Esmarelda

Quote from: Rossfan on June 01, 2019, 07:52:16 PM
The Munster Semi Finals not doing much for those if us who want the Provincials retained :-\
Mmm, you're right but Cork v Limerick was also a potential match-up in the proposed new Tier 2 if I'm not mistaken? Similarly, Clare v Kerry was a Tier 1 game. So what does this prove? Nothing, we didn't already know.

Rossfan

Cork wouldn't be in it now having reached a Provincial Final.
I think lumping D3 and 4 into it is too crude and you could potentially have a Cork v Down Final which would mean nothing to either team or supporters.
At least the likes of Leitrim, Carlow etc getting to a National Final might generate some excitement e.g Leitrim brought up to 10k to Croke Park for a D4 Final.
If the present proposals go ahead I suggest it be limited to the bottom 6 in D4 and the bottom 4 in D3 plus the winners get into the Qualifiers at an appropriate round.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

imtommygunn

The Joe McDonagh really works. I think looking at four tiers rather than three would be the way to go. The margins in it are tiny. Lose one week you could be relegated or win and you're in with a chance of winning the thing.

Before it the Christy ring had too broad a range of abilities with som teams having no chance and really wasn't that great. If they are to do anything with the football they should learn from that.