Would you be in favour of a second tier?

Started by sligoman2, June 26, 2017, 12:34:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you be in favour of an alternative championship for Div 3 and 4 with winners and runners up rejoining the other championship.

Yes
136 (52.7%)
No
104 (40.3%)
Undecided
18 (7%)

Total Members Voted: 258

Rossfan

Quote from: dublin7 on May 31, 2019, 11:12:58 PM
Quote from: hardstation on May 31, 2019, 11:06:40 PM
Players would be rightfully reluctant to put in the same effort for the "baby pool, God help yas" competition IMO.

I work with a company that's heavily involved in GAA. Majority of players I spoke to simply want a chamce to win things. Its no coincidence they preferred the league set yp to current championship set up
The reason a "Tier 2 " is currently on the table is because a lot of players in the weaker Counties want it.
A few years ago they via the GPA didn't want it so it didn't get to Congress (2015??)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Esmarelda

Quote from: Rossfan on June 01, 2019, 12:21:25 AM
Quote from: dublin7 on May 31, 2019, 11:12:58 PM
Quote from: hardstation on May 31, 2019, 11:06:40 PM
Players would be rightfully reluctant to put in the same effort for the "baby pool, God help yas" competition IMO.

I work with a company that's heavily involved in GAA. Majority of players I spoke to simply want a chamce to win things. Its no coincidence they preferred the league set yp to current championship set up
The reason a "Tier 2 " is currently on the table is because a lot of players in the weaker Counties want it.
A few years ago they via the GPA didn't want it so it didn't get to Congress (2015??)
I wouldn't dispute that some of the players in the weaker counties want it, but the cynic in me doubts very much it's the reason it's on the table.

I wonder if they want back in after a few years will they put it back on the table.

Rossfan

Don't know.
Can't foretell the future (unlike some around here :D)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

trailer

Some silly arguments on here for maintaining the status quo. Some people are really confused.

Here's some facts.
Weaker teams don't win anything.
Weaker counties are not on TV
No supporters from weaker counties are going to games involving weaker counties v Div 1 teams
Weaker counties are usually red up at the start of June.

Time that those arguing things are ok got real and copped themselves on.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: trailer on June 01, 2019, 11:07:31 AM
Some silly arguments on here for maintaining the status quo. Some people are really confused.

Here's some facts.
No supporters from weaker counties are going to games involving weaker counties v Div 1 teams

Yea and? There'll be tankings in a tiered championship too, don't believe me, see Tipp v Waterford this year in hurling...

I've an idea, let's put Waterford in the second tier...said nobody.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Esmarelda

Here's some facts.
Weaker teams don't win anything. Not factual
Weaker counties are not on TV Right now, probably. Otherwise, not factual
No supporters from weaker counties are going to games involving weaker counties v Div 1 teams Not fatual
Weaker counties are usually red up at the start of June.From the sun?

Facts?

Well I'm glad you put all those silly arguments to bed. Once everyone can manage to just not take you seriously, your nonsense adds a bit of colour to the board.

Blowitupref

Quote from: hardstation on May 31, 2019, 06:19:13 PM

This is not promoting Gaelic football. It is an exercise in hiding the faults.

Probably the most accurate comment on this thread IMO.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

trailer

Quote from: Farrandeelin on June 01, 2019, 11:13:44 AM

Here's some facts.

Yea and? There'll be tankings in a tiered championship too, don't believe me, see Tipp v Waterford this year in hurling...

You're clearly not intelligent enough to debate this issue with.

sligoman2

It was called the Tommy Murphy cup and there was so little appetite for it that we scrapped it. Why would it succeed the 2nd time around?

Maybe we should ask the millions of Brit's that votes for Brexit and have since changed their mind.  Things change, attitudes change and that is a good thing.  Having competitive games is more enjoyable to play and watch than non competitive games.  John Horan seems to have his act together, he sees the need for change and is trying to do something about it and I applaud him for that.  If you don't learn to change you get left behind.
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

From the Bunker

Quote from: sligoman2 on June 01, 2019, 02:04:30 PM
It was called the Tommy Murphy cup and there was so little appetite for it that we scrapped it. Why would it succeed the 2nd time around?

Maybe we should ask the millions of Brit's that votes for Brexit and have since changed their mind.  Things change, attitudes change and that is a good thing.  Having competitive games is more enjoyable to play and watch than non competitive games.  John Horan seems to have his act together, he sees the need for change and is trying to do something about it and I applaud him for that. If you don't learn to change you get left behind.

Sometimes you get left behind by the change.

Cunny Funt

Maybe we should ask the millions of Brit's that votes for Brexit and have since changed their mind.  Things change, attitudes change and that is a good thing.  Having competitive games is more enjoyable to play and watch than non competitive games.  John Horan seems to have his act together, he sees the need for change and is trying to do something about it and I applaud him for that.  If you don't learn to change you get left behind.

Horan is a president and in the GAA you have no power in that role but it's a platform to voice your opinion off a lot as he has done.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Cunny Funt on June 01, 2019, 02:11:49 PM

Horan is a president and in the GAA you have no power in that role but it's a platform to voice your opinion off a lot as he has done.

GAA President John Horan is a Dub! He has no idea of the plight of the weaker counties. He is looking for a quick fix way of sorting out the mess that has been left from Financially Doping Dublin. This is just another level of the Super 8's - a new way to have more higher profile games in Croke Park and sell corporate Boxes and Premium seats. The lower tiers will be left hidden away (just like the lower level Hurling competitions) and will become less a financial burden and less an administrative burden. Out of sight out of mind.

lenny

Quote from: From the Bunker on June 01, 2019, 02:27:31 PM

GAA President John Horan is a Dub! He has no idea of the plight of the weaker counties. He is looking for a quick fix way of sorting out the mess that has been left from Financially Doping Dublin. This is just another level of the Super 8's - a new way to have more higher profile games in Croke Park and sell corporate Boxes and Premium seats. The lower tiers will be left hidden away (just like the lower level Hurling competitions) and will become less a financial burden and less an administrative burden. Out of sight out of mind.

For the millionth time, the lower level hurling counties are getting a much higher profile than they ever did in the old system. Donegal, fermanagh, tyrone and hurling teams like that never would've been heard off years ago. At times you wouldn't have known they had a hurling team at all. Now they regularly get their games covered in the irish news etc. That's down to the fact they are playing in relevant competitive competitions for their standard. This line used on here that we can't have tiers because the hurling counties have gone from wall to wall coverage to being forgotten about is absolute garbage and can we all stop peddling that lie.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: lenny on June 01, 2019, 04:42:36 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on June 01, 2019, 02:27:31 PM

For the millionth time, the lower level hurling counties are getting a much higher profile than they ever did in the old system. Donegal, fermanagh, tyrone and hurling teams like that never would've been heard off years ago. At times you wouldn't have known they had a hurling team at all. Now they regularly get their games covered in the irish news etc. That's down to the fact they are playing in relevant competitive competitions for their standard. This line used on here that we can't have tiers because the hurling counties have gone from wall to wall coverage to being forgotten about is absolute garbage and can we all stop peddling that lie.

Without looking it up do you know who any of those teams were playing this weekend?  Donegal BTW conceded a whopping 7-22(43) today and more proof if ever needed that tiers doesn't stop such hammerings.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: trailer on June 01, 2019, 11:44:20 AM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on June 01, 2019, 11:13:44 AM

Here's some facts.

You're clearly not intelligent enough to debate this issue with.

So you reckon every game will be edge of the seat stuff? Every single one?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.